PDA

View Full Version : Square Drive Screws

mat
2nd December 2003, 08:23 AM
After reading glowing reports on square drive screws on a US forum site I thought I would try them out.
Sachys Robertson in Vic sell trial packs. I will always use these is future if I can - positive connection with the screw and more torque transmitted to the screw.
see www.sachys-robertson.com.au
for trial pack contents.

regor
2nd December 2003, 12:58 PM
square drive screws are a real pain in the .... i have found since moving to the u.s 2 years ago. I believe they are only of any use when doing finish work where a nail wont hold, because the screws have a smaller head for puttying.
And if you are ever doing any demo work or kitchen pullouts, you always need 2 different screw tips

Wood Borer
2nd December 2003, 01:19 PM
"since moving to the u.s 2 years ago. I believe they are only of any use when doing finish work where a nail wont hold"

I suppose that's where the term "American Screwdriver" comes from - Aussie slang for a claw hammer!

Most of the fine woodwork I have seen from the US is well made and doesn't seem to use nails or putty. Perhaps regor is talking more about building construction in which case I can understand his point.

I find the square drive screws fantastic for finish work and I wouldn't consider using a nail in a fine woodwork project. Still everyone to their own.

- Wood Borer

silentC
2nd December 2003, 01:42 PM
Mat,

Which trial pack did you go for?

mat
2nd December 2003, 02:22 PM
Silent C - I went for the $20 pack to check out the countersink drill bit that is included. These alone are $12.50
The price also includes postage.
The $44 pack also seems like good value! The hand driver is worth $8 by itself.

ubeaut
2nd December 2003, 05:30 PM
Been using Robertsons square heads screws for well over 10 years now and love 'em. However there are those who hate them with a passion. Usually builders and chippie types who are used to posidrive and the like.

Me, I can't praise them enough. Large range, reasonable prices and sold by lovely people Bill & Jill Norquay.

Cheers - Neil :D

Dean
2nd December 2003, 09:44 PM
I'll put my vote in for square drives...
Great reduces the stripped head problem.

Cliff Rogers
3rd December 2003, 12:15 AM
G'day.

I use & like the Sachys Robertsons too.

They are great for holding rough blanks on a face plate.
I been using the same 4 screws for ages, haven't broken or stripped out the head of a single one yet.... they tend to go rusty or get lost in the shavings before I wear them out.

Driver
3rd December 2003, 12:00 PM
I'd endorse all the positive comments above. I bought a trial pack from Sachys a couple of years ago and I'm now a real fan.

Cheers:)

Col

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
4th December 2003, 12:02 AM
I have been using them for over fifty (50) years. they were a canadian invention. Henry Ford tried to get the rights to use them on his cars around 1920, the inventor, P.L. robertson declined as he had just got burned by the British.( Those fellows that owned the colonies)
They are certainly superior to the Phillips screws that the Yanks used.
The square slot on the real robertsons is tapered. This holds the screw on the screwdriverThere are imitations out there that don't have the taper.
Paul

Ben from Vic.
7th December 2003, 12:18 PM
I too would like to add positive feed-back on the Sachys Robertson screws.
I bought a trial pack, and the first time I used them was with my new 15.6v Panasonic cordless drill, I was attaching a thin steel plate to the wall the hold the clothes dryer, so I wound the clutch up to about 2/3 and drove them all in one handed with no problem.
If i'd been using a posidrive, i'd have needed both hands and a fair bit of presure to make sure the bit didn't jump.
When I was done, it all seemed to easy, so I wound the clutch up to one stop before full lock, and went at them all again.
Everything went fine untill the head of the last screw tore off, which I accept was my fault.
The only drawback I found was the little bit more effort required to get the bit in the hole.

barrysumpter
7th December 2003, 07:39 PM
Ditto !

I used them exclusively with pocket hole joinery on a garden tool shed I designed and built as a breakdown unit. So I can unscrew everything and take them with me when I move.

I also used the nylon?/outdoor ones on my lutyens garden bench for repairs.

Can't tell you how many times I've stripped the head on a phillips and how much I loth flat heads.

crakka54
16th December 2003, 09:20 PM
I'd like to concur with Driver, I gave a trial pack a go and they've been great.

Christopha
16th December 2003, 09:50 PM
An interesting novelty item for DIY types but not found in any tradesmans kit that I have come across. Ok for the hamfisted ;)

silentC
16th December 2003, 10:05 PM
Ever noticed that 'tradesman' grade gear is often the cheapest (paintbrushes and paint for example)? Could it be that tradesmen don't necessarily look for quality, especially in consumables? Just a thought :)

Toymaker Len
16th December 2003, 10:48 PM
I've just started using them this year for production work. screwing pieces of glued wood together until the glue sets. Next day take them out, fill the hole and use the screw again. We are using about eight gauge 20 to 25mm and most of the screws have been recycled dozens of times (lose the odd twisted off head) but certainly far more durable than slotted or phillips screws. Saves us heaps of time and clamps.

Picaroon
30th August 2004, 06:02 PM
I have been using square drive screws for a couple of years ... initially only in the pocket hole technique where the positive connection with the screw is invaluable and the flat underside of their 'face frame' screws stops cracking, but now I use most of thier screw types for general work as well. Ordering through Sachy's is really easy and the screws appear in your letter box about 2 days later ... really great for rural locations!
--------------------

Alan

Different
31st August 2004, 12:21 AM
An interesting novelty item for DIY types but not found in any tradesmans kit that I have come across. Ok for the hamfisted ;)
Would those "tradesmen" be the same highly skilled artisans that use nailguns,clawhammers and reciprosaws. The most skilled of which (after a few beers) can be talked into revealing the time honoured technique of the "Hammered Mitre"
Not being in their toolboxes sounds like a ringing endorsement to me!

Different
31st August 2004, 12:27 AM
I have been using these for about 10 years and only use the common Phillips type for S$%^ jobs.
I have never broken one never so badly stripped the head that I could not remove it. Screws dont fall off the drivers and the brass ones are just a treat. Do remember to buy a countersink of the correct angle as they are different to normal screws.

vsquizz
31st August 2004, 02:08 AM
I can't believe we have a thread with "Square Drive" in the title and nobody has chipped in the "I prefer the cover drive" cricket jokes.

Silent: Know your tradesman like you know your mistress and make sure they are good enough to do the job properly.;)

I have looked at the Sachys Screws about a thousand times I reckon and always thought I'd give them a go, but somehow never got around to it. So now I will, promise:D . Thanks guys.

Cheers

Rebus
31st August 2004, 09:41 AM
Silent: Know your tradesman like you know your mistress and make sure they are good enough to do the job properly.;)
Cheers

I can assure you with absolute certainty that I have no intention of knowing my tradesman like I know my mistress :eek:

regards,

hexbaz
31st August 2004, 09:57 AM
Just to add a Brit vote. I have only used them in decking, but I concur with the positive comments already made.

GCP310
31st August 2004, 10:19 AM
Would those "tradesmen" be the same highly skilled artisans that use nailguns,clawhammers and reciprosaws. The most skilled of which (after a few beers) can be talked into revealing the time honoured technique of the "Hammered Mitre"
Not being in their toolboxes sounds like a ringing endorsement to me!

No need for fang dangled screws on site when you have liquid nails and no more gaps :D

TassieKiwi
31st August 2004, 11:38 AM
I use them exclusively - as do many tradies in NZ. Brilliant esp. when you need to drive the screw in at an angle. I have some 3" ones that have been used many times. The smaller ones occasoinally lose thier heads, which only shows how good the tapered drive is.

Shannon Nash
20th September 2004, 12:12 AM
Tried square drive 5 years ago. Won't use anything else. Love the way they sit on the driver making them very convenient. I have used them for everything I have built since trying them. LOVE EM!

Picaroon
20th September 2004, 09:06 AM
I started using square drive screws when I got my pocket hole jig and now use them for everything ... well almost! I needed a very small screw on the weekend ... a size that I didn't have in the square drive screw selection, so I found an old slotted head screw to do the job ... well aren't they for the birds! Whether it is my advanced years or failing eye sight but blowed if I could find where the slot was! Never have that problem with the square drive screws!

Regards,
Alan :)

j.stevens
23rd September 2004, 09:26 PM
For Brisbane workers DTT bolts have them up here. Reasonably priced in small and big packs. Wouln't be without them myself. Very positive drive. I hear they are not s

o pupular in Australia.
J. Stevens in Brisbane.

Ruffy
24th September 2004, 11:10 AM
I bought the $44 pack when i started to fit out my new workshop, they are a dream and I now use them almost exclusively. Awkward places or where you need to hold the item being screwed with one hand are no problems anymore the screw sits on the bit firmly.

:D :D

Driver
24th September 2004, 11:18 AM
I bought the $44 pack when i started to fit out my new workshop, they are a dream and I now use them almost exclusively. Awkward places or where you need to hold the item being screwed with one hand are no problems anymore the screw sits on the bit firmly.

:D :D

I've been hanging some doors at home over the last few weekends. Square drive scews are ideal for this job - just because you can drive them one-handed.

Col

barnsey
24th September 2004, 12:15 PM
Another fan of sachy-robertson screws - even bought stainless ones for the boat :D
Got a set of their bits, drills and the pocket hole jig - great stuff. :p

If you are to use a screw then why wouldn't you use these :confused: The discussions about different sized bits is the same with philips or posidrive and clearly those proponents use a 13mm spanner no matter what size the nut is :rolleyes:

Fair Dinkum :(

Jamie