PDA

View Full Version : sqm files, please help

jow104
5th January 2008, 08:16 PM
Had to go to my C drive this morning and I have found a daily entry (since 31 Dec) of sqm files.
they are sqmdata and sqmnoopt.

Never seen them before, hve I been invaded?

What do I do please.

Ashore
5th January 2008, 08:23 PM
I am led to believe they come from "Windows Live Messenger" proberly an update from windows, if you use "Add or Remove Programs", with the "Show Updates" box ticked, you should be able to get rid of them , unless you want windows messenger :rolleyes:

Groggy
5th January 2008, 08:24 PM
Found this:

Installed Windows Messenger lately? Here's your answer:

"Figured this out with the help of a fellow nerd last night. If anyone else experiences this build up of files, it is down to Windows Live Messenger! The files are part of the Customer Experience Improvement Program and can be stopped by going to Help -> Customer Experience Improvement Program then turning it off!"

jow104
5th January 2008, 09:06 PM
thanks Ashore and Groggy.

Went into add/remove programs and found there has been an update 29th Dec to windows media player, so deleted it and see if that stops any more files being added.

Do you think it is safe to remove those sqm files from my C drive?

In fact if anyone has got an old magazine freebie of windows media player 9 or below I would gladly pay postage, and delete my version 11, its a bloody nuiance to me as it is.

Groggy
5th January 2008, 09:11 PM
Do you think it is safe to remove those sqm files from my C drive?Other info I read said it was safe to do so.

chrisb691
5th January 2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Jow,

They are Windows Live Messenger Log Files.

If you come across unknown file types, there are lots of sites on the net that list them for identification. This (http://filext.com/) is one example.

Ashore
5th January 2008, 11:42 PM
thanks Ashore and Groggy.

Went into add/remove programs and found there has been an update 29th Dec to windows media player, so deleted it and see if that stops any more files being added..
If you open your windows media player , rt click on the windows media icon at the top left then lft clk on tools then options then player you will find in there an auto update box just for the media player , remove the tick from this box.You will also need to disable auto updates in the control panel and choose the download updates but let me install them then when you get updates choose advanced and see what the update is and don't install any media player updates.

Do you think it is safe to remove those sqm files from my C drive?..
Yes

In fact if anyone has got an old magazine freebie of windows media player 9 or below I would gladly pay postage, and delete my version 11, its a bloody nuiance to me as it is.
Did you have media player 9 on your computer before , if you did then go into your add and remove programe and if media player 9 is still there just remove media player 11, and you should just roll back to player 9, but set a restore point first and if you have any probs open in safe mode , go to help and support and open at the set restore point

:2tsup:

jow104
5th January 2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks ashore, that some very useful info .
Ought to send you a greenie, :;

jow104
6th January 2008, 07:56 PM
I have followed the advice above from Ashore, but left windows messenger active.
Received this advice from my PC supplier.

Quote.

Live messenger is a programme that just sits there minds it own business and only used for remote assistance with computers and only take about 2k of system memory when running in the taskbar. The sqm files Microsoft's Customer Experience Improvement Program to do with helping windows been improved and telling microsoft you would like to help out improving the operating system & other programmes.

So keep live messenger on and don't remove as this will be needed if you get stuck and in case the need of help.

Regards,

.So I have left the messenger but hopefully stopped microsoft looking at my music files with the advice from Ashore.
Posted for benefit of others.