PDA

View Full Version : Poll Rigging

silentC
2nd December 2003, 04:42 PM
Received via London, get on board and give a serve to those poll rigging poms.....

"Alrighty people it's time to have the last laugh with those pommy.... You should send this to your vast network of contacts both here and Aussie (if you haven't seen it already) b*******'s If you can remember back to the Semi-finals of the RWC when England beat France, and the Sydney Morning Herald ran a poll to see if the public thought the game was dull, or scintillating. The pommies as I am sure you know got wind of this and flicked an email to people back in their homeland to vote scintillating. An amazing 125,000 poms voted such that the outcome of the
survey was that the game was scintillating. (as we all know quite a boring game). Now it is time to turn the tables!!!
At present Jonny Wilkinson is the red hot favourite to win the 2003 BBC sports Personality of the year. And guess what folks?........you can vote online!.
So i would suggest you get to the BBC website and vote for Tim Henman as all the Ex-pat's over here are doing.
So follow the steps below, vote and then pass this email to as many Australians as humanly possible.
1. go to
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sports_personality_2003
2. Click "Cast Your Vote"
3. Vote for "Tim Henman"

ozwinner
2nd December 2003, 04:57 PM
Done
And sent to two more

clubbyr8
2nd December 2003, 05:04 PM
Sounds like sour grapes to me!!!

ozwinner
2nd December 2003, 05:39 PM
Sour grapes!!!!!.
Thats wine isnt it ???????????????

clubbyr8
2nd December 2003, 05:43 PM
Not the wine I drink!!!

silentC
3rd December 2003, 09:17 AM
clubbyr8, here's something for you. One of my "mates" in England sent this to me. I told him it had better cellar well as it'll be at least another 36 years before they get to open another bottle.

gatiep
3rd December 2003, 02:07 PM
C'mon guys...I really think as a sportsperson Jonny Wilkinson deserves it. Are we such bad loosers that we have to stoop that low!

Just think of it if YOU were Jonny Wilkinson, how would you feel?

Let him get what he deserves............its taken a lot of hard work and dedication to get there. If he looses fair and square then its a sad but different story.

This kind of sick sportmanship does exactly that to me.......makes me sick!

Seems that we cannot play sport for the game anymore....we have to win...no matter what

Shame

silentC
3rd December 2003, 02:19 PM
gatiep,

We are talking about ENGLAND!!!! Don't you get it?

It's also delicious irony being called a bad sport because of England winning!!!

By the way, I doubt that we could make a difference. There's only 20 million of us and 60 million of them.

For the record, if I were Jonny Wilkinson, I would not give a toss what a bunch of Aussies think.

gatiep
3rd December 2003, 04:11 PM
SilentC

The poll is an English poll , BBC sports personality.

You are actually right, it has nothing to do with us!

So lets just let them do their thing.

I didn't call it bad sportsmanship because of England winning, I called it bad if a sporting public want to rig polls so that a player who is really deserving can loose being the sports personality 2003 in England. Nowhere in my post did I mention England winning Australia.

I believe in playing the ball and not the man

Well do whatever you guys want, you have to live with your conscience not me.

Now I'm getting back to woodwork..............Cya

silentC
3rd December 2003, 04:28 PM
Well, the sporting rivalry between Australia and England has been discussed ad nauseum over the years and it's generally agreed that there is no malice in it, just a bit of fun. People who get their feelings hurt over it are either taking it too seriously or over reacting.

As I said, there's no chance that anything we do is going to affect the outcome, I'm certain Jonny will be the deserving winner. I don't think anyone seriously wishes him ill. Maybe before the game, but not now ;) It's a bit of harmless fun and a token revenge on them for rigging our poll a few weeks back.

Back to the woodwork by all means but don't forget this is the 'Nothing at all to do with woodwork' forum.

silentC
4th December 2003, 01:32 PM
Footnote: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/03/1070351659947.html

clubbyr8
4th December 2003, 02:05 PM
Maybe the last paragraph says it all!!!

So, in the interests of bad sportsmanship, readers should go to http://www.bbc.co.uk and click on the sports section. On the bottom right corner there is a link to vote for the personality of the year. Don't forget: vote 1 Henman just to make Jonny's day.

silentC
4th December 2003, 02:08 PM
Well, they started it!!

DaveInOz
4th December 2003, 02:09 PM
and another article ...... The Age (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/03/1070351651632.html)

jshaw
5th December 2003, 12:15 PM
"The poll is an English poll , BBC sports personality. "

Sorry gatiep, I can't let that one go without comment. BBC stands for British Broadcasting Coproration and is therefore not just English. Far too often though they behave as if it is the EBC and ignore the other 3 countries. (By the way, England only make up 49 of those British 60 millions, the rest are Scotland 5 million, Wales 3 million and Northern Ireland 1.7 million.) For instance, Scotland don't win too many Grand Slams in 5 or 6 Nations rugby, but in 1984 the Team award went to British Showjumping Team rather than the all conquering Scots.

Voting Henman? Yes, it's petty, but the number of arrogant and abusive messages I've had from English friends and relations since the mighty crushing of the Wallabies (by one goal kick in the last min of injury time - truly a steamrollering of our boys) certainly makes me think "why the hell not". Of course, since it is sports PERSONALITY of the year, maybe neither Henman nor Wilkinson should be considered???

Cheers,
John

gatiep
5th December 2003, 12:43 PM
As the youth say nowadays: "Whatever".

silentC
5th December 2003, 12:57 PM
Voting Henman? Yes, it's petty, but the number of arrogant and abusive messages I've had from English friends and relations since the mighty crushing of the Wallabies (by one goal kick in the last min of injury time - truly a steamrollering of our boys) certainly makes me think "why the hell not". Of course, since it is sports PERSONALITY of the year, maybe neither Henman nor Wilkinson should be considered???

Agreed. It's amazing how suddenly half the country became dyed-in-the-wool Rugby fans. The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner :) Maybe they should vote for Beckham instead. But then they haven't just won the soccer World Cup, have they :D

gatiep, 'whatever' was surplanted by 'talk to the hand' about 3 years ago around my way. Slightly more amusing but just as impertinent ;)

craigb
5th December 2003, 01:41 PM
This from the Ananova news web site:

Ananova:

England rugby team on stamps for Australia

England's rugby heroes are to appear on two 68p stamps - the letter rate to Australia.

Subject to royal approval, two first class and two 68p stamps will be issued on December 19 - the day before the last posting date for Christmas.

The stamps, expected to sell in huge numbers, will include scenes from last month's 20-17 victory by England over Australia in Sydney.

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: "Royal Mail's special stamp programme commemorates important events and anniversaries, and it doesn't get much better than winning the Rugby World Cup."

The stamps will not be available in time to send Christmas cards to Australia, as the last recommended posting date is December 8.

Story filed: 16:31 Wednesday 3rd December 2003

gatiep
5th December 2003, 02:27 PM
SC
Havn't heard that one around here yet but suppose it will be making its way over here. Perhaps it got lost crossing the Nullabor

Nice day to all

Ratmick
23rd December 2003, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

I was born in the UK 39 years ago, and don't remember the '66 Soccer World Cup, but when I was a child I do remember the British teams being beaten pretty regularly by virtually everyone.

Roll forward 36-odd years, and they win, nay _finally_ win, a contest in the last minute of extra time by a solitary kick. Against a team everyone though had no hope, and they were ranked World Number #1. Hmm, an overwhelming win crushing and completely humiliating the more favoured antipodean opposition?? No. It was a lucky win, it could have gone either way.

One win in 36 years in a comparitively low-key sport, what would happen if they ever won the soccer world cup? Mass hysteria, followed by a sharply rising birth rate nine months later? Get a grip...

I think the main thing was not that they won, it was _who_ they won against, and _where_ they won. Aussies have been wiping the field/pitch/floor/arena with English sporting teams of many flavours for decades, I suppose we can/should allow them to have their fifteen minutes of fame, after all it may be another three and a half decades until the next triumph.

...and what's this about Johnny Wilkinson having a personality? Has he had a transplant recently, last I saw of him, he was Mr Bland 2003. Do you have to actually have a personality to win British Sporting Personality of 2003?

...Now, spare a thought for the poor Kiwis. They were the form team, and they blew it. Poor buggers, I bet they can't go out in public over there. IMHO I think the NZ media was completely feral, and should be ashamed of themselves.

;-)

Mick