PDA

View Full Version : wine rack/side board help

kellya01
5th January 2008, 10:10 PM
I'm designing a simple project to make soon and was wondering if you guys can help me with two small aspects.

The first is the moulded wine racks at the bottom, is there any way I can make up one of these so called "components" of this so I can simply paste/drop it in and fit it in place to save me using the push pull tool on each one and taking forever?

The second is the champagne/wine bucket moulding at the top which I've included. This will simply be a hole jig-sawn into the top piece of timber with a lining of some sort inside that the bucket will sit in comfortably, I know I can make a perfectly round bucket to insert in there, but as you all know those champagne/wine buckets have a different diameter base than top opening. Can anyone help me to accomplish this?

I have attached the sketchup file of what I have done so far, if you find any other mistakes please feel free to suggest solutions.

Many thanks,

amanda223
8th January 2008, 11:21 PM
Well i can say something ... every thing is just perfect but only wine moudling ... Just change the place of it ...

kayu
11th January 2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Kelly,

To make life easy in Sketchup you must group and or make components as soon as possible.

I made components of parts I used more than one time and groups for parts I used only once (my way of using Sketchup).
If you make adjustments in a component, the copy's of that component change with it.
Use of components also keeps the size of the file down

To make the ice-bucket see the skp attached.

Any questions, let me know,

Good luck,

Kayu

ps

I think you are in an early stage of designing, but have an other look at the thickness of your wood:U
Perhaps a good idea the make the diameter of the half-hole's in the front moulding smaller. The neck's of the bottles are smaller then the bottoms

kellya01
13th January 2008, 06:48 PM
thanks for the help. I've tried following your steps to make the ice bucket but got lost at the scaling part. I tried pressing the ctrl -key but it just says I cannot push/pull a curved surface.

Thanks for pointing out the size of the wood in comparison to the wine bottles. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer to have the wine bottles sitting at one end fully on the bottle and a little further up the same setup, or have a smaller calving so to sit the kneck of the bottle in.

Thanks for putting that transperancy on the cupboards, something I just forgot to do.

Here is the finished(ish) version of the one I started and another seperate one.

kayu
13th January 2008, 08:45 PM
Hi,

About the scaling:
After you selected the bottom-circle choose the scaling-tool, it sits on the same palette as the push-pull tool (see picture). Then press the control-key to scale around the center of the circle.

It is possible to adjust the scale of the textures, if you scale down the grain of the wood is more visible.

I Like the looks of the second rack.

Good luck,
Kayu

kellya01
13th January 2008, 09:23 PM
thanks a lot for your help.

In the first file you sent across with your adjustments, is there a reason I can't select the different faces individually to render them? It seems to all just select together.

kayu
13th January 2008, 09:40 PM
If you open the outliner-window, you will see that I made a group off the rack. Double click and you will be able to paint the different parts.

Kayu

oldbob13
31st January 2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks Kayu
You have demistified some of sketchup for me
Keep up the good work:2tsup:
BobT

wayfarer
5th February 2008, 01:02 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of modelling time when a little idle. :)

http://www.igdesign.com.au/modelling/wine-rack2.jpg

kellya01
5th February 2008, 07:08 PM
Great work.

kayu
5th February 2008, 08:12 PM
Nice looking design Kelly,

Funny thing is, when I'm looking at a picture out of Sketchup I always try to orbit the image :U.

Nice render Wayfarer, are your drawer fronts proud of the shelfs or am I missing something?

Kayu

wayfarer
5th February 2008, 09:22 PM
ooops, wasn't meant to be a thread hijack... I thought this thread had run it's course.

Thanks for your modelling effort in my wine rack thread. It looks great!

I'd be interested in any advice you have on the piece and your overall thoughts on the design. I haven't yet chosen a timber for it also.

I've posted another design in the thread also.

Cheers,

I'd probably go Tassie Oak for obvious reasons but you might even use a veneer if you had the time money and skills :) I'm not the best person to ask about which timber though. Try the general woodworking sub forum.

As far as the design goes why don't you think about some legs instead of that heavy skirt, think turned balls or other styles.
The second top shelf isn't really high enough to see into, perhaps the unit needs to be taller or have more drawers?
Perhaps the sides could be panelled rather than flat?
Have a Google around for sideboards, cabinets, dressers and nightstands to get some inspiration.
I think your design is quite good though, don't get the wrong idea from my suggestions :)

Yes, Kayu, the drawers were misaligned... I only spent half an hour knock this up so I was a little sloppy. But dicking around a bit...

(Modelled in Cinema 4D V9.5 and some production work in CorelDraw Photopaint X3)

http://www.igdesign.com.au/modelling/r-wine-rack2.jpg