PDA

View Full Version : Which Inkjet Multifunction?

Batpig
6th January 2008, 05:18 PM
Dear Button-Pressers,

I want to give my family copies of some photos of a deceased relation of ours. Some of the photos will have to be photocopied from existing developed film photos, while others will be printouts straight from digital photos stored on my computer. At the moment, my only printer is a B&W Laser. Given that colour lasers don't appear to have the ability to produce "Lab" quality prints yet, it therefore appears that my best bet will be to buy a multifunction inkjet printer, with the ability to scan and copy.

Now, as many of you would well know, not all printers are created equal. Certain multifunctions might excel in one "department", but might not be so good in another...

My criteria are:
1) I need Lab-quality photo printing.
N.B. High printing speed is not essential.
N.B. Good quality text printing is not essential (because of my laser printer)

2) I need excellent quality copying and scanning.
N.B. High copying/scanning speed is not essential.

3) I need ink tanks that are separately replaceable.
Would prefer if they were also generically refillable.
Would therefore prefer if tanks weren't "micro-chipped", a'la some late model Canons (anyone know the situation re HP?).
Running costs, however, are not a critical issue.

4) Ability to Fax is not essential.
Superior printing/scanning/copying ability is my primary requirement.

5) Am open-minded about budget...

At this stage, I am leaning towards something in either the HP "Photosmart" or Canon "MP" series. I have read that Canon ink can fade over time, so I am maybe leaning a little more towards HP at this stage...

I have also read (and been told) that each dearer-next-model-up isn't necessarily better in all departments than the models below. It all depends on the quality of the particular "Printing Engine", and also of the "Scanning Engine". A good multifunction printer will obviously combine good examples of each. Therefore, please don't reply on the basis of "specs" alone. Would appreciate hands-on knowledge and experience with fairly recent models from someone who has been printing photos for a while...

So in closing, does anyone have the "Good Oil" on which model(s) would best suit my requirements? Or does anyone know of a good website that has good professional (rather than quick "user") reviews of the latest examples of this type of gear?..

Many Thanks,
Batpig.

journeyman Mick
6th January 2008, 05:46 PM
Batpig,
if you're going to be printing a lot of photos you may want to consider whether a Continuous Inking System is available for whatever machine you choose. I got a set up for my printer from these blokes (http://esandjt.com/) . You'll definitely save a lot on inks, from memory the whole set up cost less than a set of original tanks. On mine it was neccesary to remove the "chips" from the original tanks and stick them on the replacements. The printer now thinks it's running onm empty tanks, but I can clearly see that the resevoirs have about a cup full of ink in them.:cool:. There's other suppliers out there, but these guys are in Australia and none of the others had tanks for my particular printer at the time.

Mick

munruben
6th January 2008, 06:24 PM
Why do you want multi function. If one thing goes wrong with the unit then you have to replace the whole thing. HP inks are very expensive and generic cartridges are not available as far as I know.

If you want an excellent printer for top quality prints then for the price, the Epson R230 is a good way to go and pretty reasonable. A bit slow compared to the Canon but it does have 6 individual ink tanks and generic cartridges are available on the internet for $1.50 each. It also prints directly onto CDs and DVDs. The "best" setting for picture quality is superior to that of the Canon.

Canon also make a good printer that does all the things the Epson does and has individual ink tanks but not sure if generic ink tanks are available for the newer models. If you can locate one of the older models the ip 3000 then the ink tanks are available for that model but you will be hard pressed to find that model as it is no longer in production. Picture quality is not as good as the Epson in my opinion but the paper you choose can have an influence on the quality of the print.

The new scanners are slimline and take up very little room and all of them are pretty much on par with each other. Alternatively you can go the second hand route with a scanner and a good one can be had for around $20 to $30 I picked up a terrific HP a couple of weeks ago on ebay for $20 This is for the older style scanner but hey, they do the job admirably.

You have probably made up your mind as to wanting a multi function unit but I have had several in the past and if the scanner packs in or the printer then you have to replace the whole unit. The days of repairing these things are long gone. Costs more to repair some of the cheaper models than replace them.

Batpig
6th January 2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks Mick,

That is a very solid suggestion to make at this early stage in the selection process. I've heard about it here and there, but never gave it much consideration because I thought it would be too hard to come by to be worth bothering about. I get along fairly well with the boys down at the local Cartridge World (thanks to their close proximity to a shop my folks ran once), so when the wallet comes close to getting opened, I'll ask them about it, in addition to the other questions I was going to ask them regarding generic refilling once I had a bit of a printer shortlist.

Kind Regards,
Batpig.

Batpig
6th January 2008, 06:49 PM
I hear you, Munruben,

And you're quite right. Two of my brothers are ex-repair-techs, with the emphasis on "ex"...

It is indeed a throwaway society that we are now living in, and the theory of splitting functions up, to keep the purchase cost per item down, so that you can afford to throw a dud away when it packs it in, is a very sound idea.

Only thing is, I am chronically short on desk space...

No, wait - come to think of it, make that just space of any sort...

Good idea, though. You're probably a "Neaty..." :wink:

Many Thanks,
Batpig.

Ashore
6th January 2008, 07:36 PM
Canon pixma MP800 have found it terrific , can photocopy , scan slides , film negatives , usb connection and card reader, duplex printing , prints printable cd's and dvd's , seperate ink tanks 5 off uses CIY-8 canon ink that has a gaurenteed life of 20 years non fade ( though I havent had anything for the 20 years yet ) two paper cassetts and prints terrific quality prints ( don't know Lab quality you refer to is but the pictures it prints are spot on ) but is only effective with canon ink and Paper.
I tried it with canon compatable ink and the damm stuff either didn't dry or the colour was wrong ( due I am led to believe to the viscosity of the ink and thus depth of penertration into the paper)
It also allows you to select various paper types from canon special paper to plain , glossy , matt etc and comes with excellent print programes for pictures and disks. :2tsup:

Batpig
6th January 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks Ashore,

Checking that one out now. Must say, the "Negatives" scanner would be handy to have.
Please keep suggestions coming.

Batpig.