PDA

View Full Version : things you find in trees

charlsie
6th January 2008, 09:19 PM
look what i found. the object on the left is a half inch hss drill bit in a southern mahogany milled in outer melbourne, the coach screw was found in a western red cedar from the dandenongs. just wondering if you other millers can better these items? these are best thing i have found so far.
nails, fencing wire, barbed wire, clouts, horse shoes, 2" nails, 3 and 4" nails just don't upset me any more. As yet i haven't hit a star picket or old gal tap , but i recon it's only time and i'll get something new

BobL
6th January 2008, 09:29 PM
I have only hit 4" one nail and and some stainless steel wire although I haven't milled a lot of trees. I have seen the remains of a bar and semi toothless chain after trying to cut through a hollow trunk that someone had filled with concrete - Not nice!

charlsie
6th January 2008, 09:38 PM
I bet it was a bag of concrete put in the tree on a fence line and they forgot to go back and get it, cypress trees are great for holding things!

glock40sw
6th January 2008, 09:48 PM
G'day.
Our double canadian breakdown rig was cutting a large Spotted Gum taken from Bom Bom State Forest near Grafton.

The 6ft dia chromed springset circular saw detonated, sending teeth into the bullet proof glass of the control cab. When the operator changed his pants, we had a look at the log. Embedded in the log was 3 axe heads and 2 adz heads.
We found out that the log came from the old "Devines" homestead sight from the late 1800's. The tree was located next to the blacksmith's shop and was the test tree for new axes etc.

funkychicken
6th January 2008, 10:33 PM
G'day.
Our double canadian breakdown rig was cutting a large Spotted Gum taken from Bom Bom State Forest near Grafton.

The 6ft dia chromed springset circular saw detonated, sending teeth into the bullet proof glass of the control cab. When the operator changed his pants, we had a look at the log. Embedded in the log was 3 axe heads and 2 adz heads.
We found out that the log came from the old "Devines" homestead sight from the late 1800's. The tree was located next to the blacksmith's shop and was the test tree for new axes etc.

Wow

bullet proof glass

Sheer bloomin' luxury mate. Real men stand on the sled!

Well boss came in yesterday with log with a shiny bit in it. Turns out it's a handgun bullet. Good thing it was lead, cause we used the Lucas Mill on it.

Beat that:cool:

kimtree
6th January 2008, 11:18 PM
i've found numerous nails and once even a rope,no evidence of it from the outside at all.on one log after i'd destroyed a circular blade the ex-owner of the tree said he remember banging in 3'' nails for pot plant holders but forgot to tell me first!

charlsie
7th January 2008, 09:57 AM
well axe heads beat the hell out of a drill bit. one job i had a look at had half a basket ball ring hanging out of it.Bullets are grouse! do no damage .I had a red gum slabbed up ,a client bought it i got it drum sanded an up pop a group of 22 bullets, he cracked it wanted his money back until i convinced him it would be a great talking point (fortunately he couldn't tell the difference from a 22 bullet to any other.) i told him the log came from glenrowan and possibly ned kelly might have used it for sighting in his gun. I know telling a few fibs doesn,t get you anywhere but it was a good story he was happy , the problem is i could have sold that slab a dozen times over.

dai sensei
7th January 2008, 01:57 PM
I think Glock's axe heads got to take the cake, but here are a few bits we got from a single household Mango myself, Soundman and TeeJay milled a while back.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=45470

I was amazed the chain cut through all of them, even the bolt without breaking.

AlexS
7th January 2008, 09:19 PM
In an old AWW (end of 1989 I think) a bloke in Queensland found an old pocket watch that had been left in the crotch of a tree. He managed to expose it without damaging the watch, and planned to leave it in situ in a table top.

jmaxwell
7th January 2008, 09:36 PM
nails,bolts,rail spikes .Would send one blade per week for retip
have cut through 1/2 inch before i try to clean the timber as best as i can but dirt and stones mess up the tips also.

BobL
7th January 2008, 10:02 PM
In an old AWW (end of 1989 I think) a bloke in Queensland found an old pocket watch that had been left in the crotch of a tree. He managed to expose it without damaging the watch, and planned to leave it in situ in a table top.

That reminds me of a holiday Job I had as a student in a cement slab making factory. One of the guys I was working with lost his expensive gold watch and several days later it turned up embedded in the top of a cement slab with the shattered glass face staring out forlornly. He took it home and painstakingly partially chiseled it out of the slab and had it as an ornament in his lounge room for a few years.

DavidG
7th January 2008, 11:20 PM
Stones, nails, wire, and a beer bottle. (empty):C

charlsie
8th January 2008, 01:07 PM
has any one tried using a metal detector, I've heard a cheap one goes for around $400 .it would have to be allright on resawing salvage timber but i doubt it would pick up 6 or 7 " into a log and you blokes, i guess would be the same as me ,you see the stain but does that mean you stop. I dont if i'm using the slabber I'll have a go,but i hunt for metal if i'm using the swing blade .any ideas?

glock40sw
8th January 2008, 01:22 PM
G'day.
Back in the forest protest days of the early 80's, the tree huggers were driving spikes into the trees.
We had to scan each log with a metal detector after destroying 2 Canadian saws when they hit the spikes.

We still have the holes in the roof of the sawmill where saw teeth exited the building.

charlsie
8th January 2008, 01:34 PM
did they work ok ? and if you got a noise from the detector did you just give the log the flick or did you try and recover any timber?

Greg Ward
8th January 2008, 01:52 PM
Trees growing in paddocks were (and still are) often used as a cheap fence post....
Over many years, the trees trunk grows around the barbed wire and the external segments externally corrode away leaving no physical sign of what is inside, I have seen a circle of wire 6 inches deep inside a red cedar log and there is no way that can be missed in processing.
OK with a Lucas Mill with the old type of wire, however hard to cut through with high tension types.

Crutches of camphor laurel trees are good repositories for garbage, and an axe blade in one is a great destroyer of large band saw blades as well as Canadians.

Have also seen a star picket and inch thick steel piping.......

Greg

glock40sw
8th January 2008, 02:13 PM
did they work ok ? and if you got a noise from the detector did you just give the log the flick or did you try and recover any timber?

We would mark the log where the detector gave the highest reading and then dock that section out with the chainsaw. Wrecked a few saw chains :D. The spikes gave a good clear signal as they were no more than 50mm from the surface. The tree huggers would smear human excrement over the spike entry holes.
Once the docked section was removed we would bust it open with the Axe to see what was inside.

Arrr... the good old days of the Washpool Forest protests. I wonder how many of the unwashed hairy armpit tree hugger brigade now order Hardwood flooring for their homes and not give a second thought to where it comes from...

bobsreturn2003
8th January 2008, 02:13 PM
have found a small firebrick ,numerous nails,screws a piece of threaded rod used to tie tree branch up ,rocks . and with backyard mango trees enough metal to stock bunnings ! the saw cut through the 10mm rod, didnt improve the chain much ! but the rocks are the worst. though the barbed wire fence wire burried in a burl would be a close second .got some amazing timber and a disc sharpener for the chain ,always carry a few spares . good milling bob

charlsie
9th January 2008, 11:14 AM
this is a blade the old man was using not the spike he hit but similar, teeth on left missing ,any teeth still on the blade were bent back all the sameway

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2008, 11:21 AM
Where abouts in the valley are you Charlsie, I'm up at East Warbie.

charlsie
9th January 2008, 02:21 PM
wandin . if you go up cleg rd to mt evelyn you don't go past my place. if you stay on warby hwy to lilydale you go straight past me.

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2008, 02:57 PM
Well in that case I go pass you every 2nd or 3rd day depending on how many deliveries I've got on for the week or when I visit the big smoke.

charlsie
9th January 2008, 04:45 PM
oh well i'll send you a pm with my adress we'll work out a time 4 u to drop in anyway its wednesday shed nite and i'm running late i'll send the pm soon cheers:doh:

robyn2839
9th January 2008, 11:37 PM
found my great grandfather in a tree,well not exactly ,he was hanging from it for stealing horses. bob

glad i shared that with you