PDA

View Full Version : 1st trip to W.A. - suggestions for things to see/do on this approx route?

TimberNut
7th January 2008, 05:07 PM
guys, I'm busy planning a trip over to South Western W.A. for March this year, and want to know what should be on my 'must see' things/locations etc
We'll be driving and have a proposed itinery (see included pic for proposed route we'll travel).
Mainly only staying 1-2 nights per location.

current stops.
Perth, Geraldton, Monkey Mia,Northam, Merredin, Hyden, Katanning, Albany, Margaret River, Rockingham and back to Perth
That's 3000+ kms in 3 weeks. (nice drive huh?) can't you guys have a smaller state???! :-)
Any suggestions for sights to see (wood related ideally), or other things to see/do (or better places to stay) along this approx route would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Timbernut.

Ashore
7th January 2008, 05:29 PM
G'day Timbernut had a week over there in November , two things spring to mind the flies were as bad as I have ever seen ( I believe some school sports were cancelled due to them ) :oo: so get a good flymesh head cover , colman make a pretty got one.
Two if you want to swim with the dolphins the dolphin discovery center at Bunbury do proberly the best tour ,:2tsup: give them a ring it's on the way into town you can't miss it.
Rgds

macca2
7th January 2008, 06:16 PM
Welcome to th west

There are plenty of wood related places to see around the bottom end between Albany and Bunbury. Look for places in Denmark, Pemberton and around Margaret River.

They are conveniently located close to the wineries.

Enjoy your trip
Macca

TimberNut
7th January 2008, 07:11 PM
Macca,

I knew I'd find a local on here!!!

any particular ones come to mind??

also what do you think of the proposed travel route? We wanted to drive about 200kms per day (ish) with some longer hops and some shorter, and other than getting to Monkey Mia (1st stop) get around as much as possible. I'd appreciate any comments on the locations I've listed, and if you can think of any alternatives that wouldn't modify our route significantly, that'd help too.

Also, can we do the drive to Monkey Mia in the same day? (plane gets to Perth at lunchtime, so we planned on overnight at Geraldton on the way).
It looked too far to go in one day (when not starting till lunch) to me.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye out as we drive around for wood galleries etc (and Jarrah forests :-) but if you have any in mind that I should make sure I don't miss, let me know!

Thanks.
Timbernut.

snowyskiesau
7th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Be sure to visit the Valley of the Giants near Denmark. The coast road between Margaret River and Augusta goes through some impressive timber.
The Cape Leeuwin lighthouse is worth a visit - see the Southern and Indian oceans.
The Porongarup National Park north of Albany is worth a look too.

I'm originally from the west and had my first trip back in 35 years last year. Spent a week covering the southwest between Perth and Albany, covered 3500 kms - I like driving :)

dennford
7th January 2008, 07:35 PM
March is possibly a little earlier than I would suggest but still you could put up a great itinery around W.A.

Quick suggestions off the cuff are here and I shall follow up with more and some details later (when I get a chance to type something out.

I would start by getting some brochures from the W.A. tourist beauro. First off the rank because you will be coming through Kalgoorlie is a brochure and map on the golden pipeline heritage trail http://www.goldenpipeline.com.au/trail/index.html which gives info on many points of historic interest along the Kal' pipeline. whilst in Kal' you may wish to spend some time visiting some of the mines, mining museum or the many ghost towns in the area http://www.discoverwest.com.au/kal/explore.html .between Kal' and Perth you may either try a detour a few kms north of the great eastern hwy on "the pioneers pathway" through the towns of Nungarin, Wyalkatchem an Goomalling http://www.pioneerspathway.org.au/suggested_itinerary.php . Or south through York, Beverly and Brookton http://www.experienceperth.com/en/Country/Avon+Valley/default.htm .

These are merely suggested places to see on your way into Perth. Once here there are many attractions, some of which I shall post later.

Denn

Hafgan
7th January 2008, 08:55 PM
Be sure to visit the Valley of the Giants near Denmark. The coast road between Margaret River and Augusta goes through some impressive timber.
The Cape Leeuwin lighthouse is worth a visit - see the Southern and Indian oceans.
The Porongarup National Park north of Albany is worth a look too.

I'm originally from the west and had my first trip back in 35 years last year. Spent a week covering the southwest between Perth and Albany, covered 3500 kms - I like driving :)
:aro-u::aro-u:

I agree with Snowy. Lived at Katanning for a couple of years. Go down to the blowholes and the gap at Albany (remember, its ALbany, not ALLbany!), and the Valley of the Giants takes me back there straight away.
I preferred Denmark to Margaret River. Good meadery (?) down there from memory. Although good wines at Margaret River....
And they should set up windmills at Cape Leeuwin as well...

Cheers

dennford
7th January 2008, 10:20 PM
From Perth to the southwest there are numerous computations of routes but here is one that I would personally suggest. Of course you won’t have the time, or maybe not even want to go everywhere I mention – just pick the ones you think sound good.

I would personally head south from Perth on the Albany hwy until reaching Armadale some 30km south, from here head straight ahead on the south western hwy until reaching the small town of North Dandalup. As you pass the small school and a large water tank you see a sign for the north dandalup dam, this is an ideal place for a break or picnic. From here head straight ahead and the road turns into gravel for a few kms. On reaching the sealed road turn left heading for the forest town of Dwellingup - http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/WADwellingup.shtml , there are many attractions in and around town you may be interested in having a look at school of wood/forest heritage centre http://www.forestheritagecentre.com.au/ . From Dwellingup I would then head back to the south western hwy, this time via Pinjarra, famous for the massacre of aborigines in the early years of white fella settlement. You then carry on south waving at Wild Dingo as you pass his mansion. Many people then pass straight through the town Yarloop – after all it just looks like another one horse town. DON’T PASS BY, follow the sign to Yarloop workshop. The workshops were built to service the early timber industry and is a magnificent example of tool shop, foundry, engine builders etc. It looks today as though the workers just walked of the job one day and it is just awaiting their return http://www.yarloop.starwon.com.au/

This gets you to within a short distance of Bunbury but before leaving to travel further south, another must is Gary brooks “Dardanup Heritage Park”, everyone here would have seen Brooks transport heading up and down from the S.W. but not many know of this magnificent machinery museum http://www.dardanupheritagepark.com.au/attractions.html

So from here we must head for the capes and Margaret River – more of that later.

Denn

TimberNut
7th January 2008, 10:46 PM
Ashore - thanks for the tips. Fly mesh - will get, ta!
Dolphins - DEFINATELY on the agenda (hence trip to Monkey Mia). We planned on coming back into Perth after our walkabout :-) via Rockingham as we found a 'swim with wild Dolphins' tour thingy. But if you reckon there's a better one..I'M ALL EARS as SWMBO told me we can't leave Perth without a real close dolphin encounter. Bunbury huh? Is it better than Rockingham?

Snowy - I'm like you, I like to get about on hols. Can't sit in one spot. Thanks for the tips. will investigate them for sure.

Dennford - loving all the details. Keep em coming. That's what I need, some detailed local knowledge.

Thought about looking Dingo up for a beer, but that might kill the rest of the holiday... he'd talk me bloody ear off!!!

Hafgan - cheers! I've been told Margaret River is nice, but I don't drink wine, beer is more my style. So if you reckon Dennmark... I'll look into that.
I'm more into the scenery anyway, so if there's nothing at Margaret River other than wineries, it'd bore me.

Keep 'em coming guys.. this is good stuff!

Cheers
Timbernut

manoftalent
7th January 2008, 10:54 PM
"Thought about looking Dingo up for a beer, but that might kill the rest of the holiday... he'd talk me bloody ear off!!!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::blahblue:

Burnsy
7th January 2008, 10:55 PM
Margaret River has breweries too! If you are only going to Monkey Mia for the Dolphins then you may be better saving a few kms and doing them in Bunbury as suggested earlier. If you do decide to go north from Geraldton, a stop over at Kalbarri and a visit to the Murchison Gorges is worthwhile.

Flies should not be such a problem as November, the dung beetles are well and truely operational by March and fly numbers drop as their food sources dwindle.

dennford
7th January 2008, 11:22 PM
Bunbury – Busselton.If you are a diver, Busselton jetty is a world class dive site, if not then you may want to visit the underwater observatory http://www.busseltonjetty.com.au/ . After leaving Busselton you have two choices, first is to follow the Bussell hwy to Margaret river and Augusta, but by taking the alternative of caves road you will find much more to enjoy http://www.naturebase.net/component/option,com_hotproperty/task,view/id,80/Itemid,755/ . This route heads through Dunsborough to Yallingup. Dunsborough is worth a stop to visit the cape naturaliste lighthouse and Bunker bay, whilst Yallingup has some fantastic surf beaches. As you head south along caves road there are hundreds of wineries and wood galleries to take your fancy but don’t miss the turn off for canal rocks. These coastal rock formations afford some fantastic opportunities for photo’s and must not be missed. As you head further south you may wish to thake the short detour into Margaret River townsite, a town that for me has grown and been spoiled over the years. Nonetheless if you pass by without seeing then all your friends will want to know why? Also along caves road are the turn offs to many beaches. My favourite at the southern end is “cosy corner” or “Hamelin Bay where there are the remains of the old jetty where timber was once exported. My favourite gallery – “Boranup gallery” http://www.boranupgallery.com/furniture.php?gallery=Furniture&page=10 is right in the middle of a beautifull stand of karri called Jerusalem hollow. Jerusalem hollow is recognizable because of the steep winding road that seems to melt into this magnificent part of the forest.

Continue along caves road to Augusta, then following the coast around to Cape Leeuwin. Augusta is a pleasant place to stop, the estuary offering one of the few places where it is safe for toddlers to swim.

More tomorrow
Denn

dennford
7th January 2008, 11:26 PM
if there's nothing at Margaret River other than wineries, it'd bore me.

Cheers
Timbernut

See Margaret River via the caves road and there is ample beautiful coastal scenery only a few kms to the west on good roads, then of course there is the karri forest.

dennford
7th January 2008, 11:31 PM
Timbernut,

My Daughter is a marine biologist and has worked with dolphin swim at rockingham - she will this season be working at Ningaloo filming whalesharks. Whalesharks don't normally appear untill april but you could be lucky. as for the dolphin swim, I shall ask her when they normally start. Monkey Mia you should be able to see them most of the year round but of course you won't be able to swim with them there.

Denn

dennford
7th January 2008, 11:49 PM
Rockingham dolphin swims are on the go untill May http://www.dolphins.com.au/

Denn

dennford
8th January 2008, 08:44 AM
the flies were as bad as I have ever seen ( I believe some school sports were cancelled due to them ) :oo: so get a good flymesh head cover , colman make a pretty got one.

Hopefully you wont have such a bad time with them in April, in fact you should be pleasantly surprised at the fact that this area for several reasons has the most successfull fly control prog in Oz (sorry about the early summer Ashore). Dung beetle experiments have been very successfull in the south west, The main problem is that they dont become active untill the weather really warms up, that is why Ashore had problems early in the season. I can personally vouch for the fact that the first few weeks of summer is hell - then the flies just dissappear (well almost). Here is an interesting link http://www.abc.net.au/southwestwa/stories/s2116125.htm

But for a really interesting informative and easy to read piece on bush flies and dung beetles try this one http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html

Denn

P.S. I hope I am not hogging your thread.

Denn

TimberNut
8th January 2008, 09:04 AM
Dennford - hogging the thread? well, seeing as you have been most generous in providing so much detailed travel suggestions, I'll overlook the dung beetle diversion :U (but will read up on them in my spare time).

dolphins - SWMBO said we're going to Monkey Mia no matter what (who am I to argue!) but we realise that all we might be able to do is hand feed them (if the rangers let us), at best. That's why SWMBO found the Rockingham swim with dolphins.

I'd love to hear from any others who've been, or agree/disagree with Ashore & Burnsy regarding any swim with dolphins tours etc, as this is a 'must do' for SWMBO and I'd like to do the best one first time (can't afford 2 :wink:).

Me personally, I'll be happy if I get a good look around South west W.A, and see plenty of timber (galleries, forests, etc).

Any more suggestions on locations/detours/ places to stay?

(loving the detail so far - it's GREATLY appreciated).

(just dont tell Dingo I'm looking for details on WA, if he finds this it's gonna be a long, detailed, and rather off-beat thread I reckon.....):D

dennford
8th January 2008, 09:15 AM
I'll overlook the dung beetle diversion :U (but will read up on them in my spare time).

Now here's a usefull bit of info
Flies are 73 per cent protein by weight and a great source of omega 3. "Better than fish,"

dennford
8th January 2008, 09:25 AM
I'd love to hear from any others who've been, or agree/disagree with Ashore & Burnsy regarding any swim with dolphins tours etc, as this is a 'must do' for SWMBO and I'd like to do the best one first time (can't afford 2 :wink:).

I couldn't say which of the two dolphin swim experiences would be the best. However one thing to keep in mind is the main differences - location. Bunbury is ideal if you wish to have a break there on your way around the S.W. whilst Rockingham is only a short hours drive from Perth so could provide a good day trip whilst in Perth.

Denn

dennford
8th January 2008, 09:42 AM
A quick question, what sort of vehicle will you be driving? will you have 4WD capability?

Denn

dennford
8th January 2008, 10:05 AM
some pic's to go with the suggestions.

first the Murray river at Pinjarra

rod1949
8th January 2008, 10:09 AM
Kockerbin Rock third largest monolith in Australia, Singleton smallest operating bank building in Australia, Wave Rock.

dennford
8th January 2008, 03:33 PM
Nice idea Rod, there are many granite outcrops throughout the wheatbelt, I don't have much in the way of pic's but there are some good ones here http://members.iinet.net.au/~ricphoto/granite2.html

Denn

dennford
8th January 2008, 03:36 PM
and here are a few pics of another granite formation - Canal rocks which I mentioned in one of the earlier posts.

plunger
8th January 2008, 04:13 PM
I don't know about Rockingham or Monkey Mia for dolphins but the Bunbury ones are pretty good http://dolphins.mysouthwest.com.au/Activities/Interaction%20Zone

Personally I would go to the discovery centre in the morning to see them (although they don't always turn up) and then hire a tinnie, go just outside the cut where the estuary joins the ocean, turn off the motor and the dolphins will come to you. I don't think I've never been out on the water and not seen a dolphin. Or you can do an organised Boat trip.

As for the rest of the route (in my opinion): you must go on the Treetop Walk at Walpole - fantastic; Do drop in at Augusta; from there drive up Caves Road rather than Bussell Hwy; Drop in at Boranup Gallery; turn off to some of the beaches especially Gracetown, Yallingup and Canal Rocks; plenty of galleries etc between Margaret River and Dunsborough; go to Bunkers Bay and lighthouse; underwater observatory at end of Busselton Jetty.

Enjoy the trip

Garry

rod1949
8th January 2008, 04:30 PM
Nice idea Rod, there are many granite outcrops throughout the wheatbelt, I don't have much in the way of pic's but there are some good ones here http://members.iinet.net.au/~ricphoto/granite2.html

Denn

Yep Den your link brings up another being Elchubutting but its a bit north out of his way

TimberNut
8th January 2008, 05:03 PM
Plunger and Rod - cheers. yet more awesome info for me to work through!!! Wave Rock - already have that planned (Perth, Geraldton, Monkey Mia,Northam, Merredin, Hyden....) Wave Rock was one thing we DID find that I'd put in the itinerary to see, and I am loving all these other suggestions.

Denn - we are flying to Perth and then hiring a car (not 4wd) so will have to stick to main roads I guess. Not staying in 5 star rubbish, more likely on site accom at caravan parks, to keep costs down. I'd rather see the place (seeing as I may not get there again any time soon) than see insides of 5 star hotels.

Cheers guys for all the awesome info so far...

I reckon by March this thread should have about 200+ posts, then if I can't make a killer holiday from that info, I give up :wink:

I appreciate all the info to date. The more the merrier....

dennford
8th January 2008, 05:50 PM
Denn - we are flying to Perth and then hiring a car (not 4wd) so will have to stick to main roads I guess. Not staying in 5 star rubbish, more likely on site accom at caravan parks, to keep costs down. I'd rather see the place (seeing as I may not get there again any time soon) than see insides of 5 star hotels.

That rules out my first suggestion of Kalgoorlie, but you may be able or want to pick up the pipeline or the pioneers pathway on your way back to Perth from the S.W.

As for caravan parks etc they are plentifull but likely to be very busy during school hol's - 12th to 26th March. However by keeping away from some of the more popular ones you can sometimes be lucky, also there are some free camping areas that may be worth thinking about.

Denn

dennford
8th January 2008, 06:27 PM
More pic's. This time the nth Dandalup dam.

TimberNut
8th January 2008, 08:41 PM
Dennford - School Holidays???

i checked a website before selecting the dates and found

WA School Holidays for 2008
Autumn - 12 April to 28 April 2008

I seriously hope I didn't get it wrong, as we wanted to travel during your school term.

Burnsy
8th January 2008, 08:57 PM

I seriously hope I didn't get it wrong, as we wanted to travel during your school term.

That date is correct. However Easter falls outside of the holidays 21 - 25 of March inclusive this year - woohoo, extra holidays.

dennford
8th January 2008, 10:20 PM

Apologies, I must be cross eyed. Actually it's my wifes fault - she gave me a calender too small to read.

But as Burnsey says, watch for those easter ones.

Denn

dennford
8th January 2008, 10:26 PM
A couple of pic's of Jerusalem hollow. Boranup wood gallery is just a few hundred metres from here. I often stay with friends who live just past here in the forest, it's great to watch the cars go by thinking that there are no houses for miles.

dennford
8th January 2008, 11:18 PM
To continue on my imaginary trip around the south west, I would be heading from Augusta towards Pemberton, another centre with lots to do/see including Beedelup nat Park http://www.naturebase.net/component/option,com_hotproperty/task,view/id,90/Itemid,755/ , which you would pass shortly before Pemberton on the Vasse hwy. Once in Pemby you may wish to visit some of the many wood galleries there. Maybe ride the Pemberton tram/train http://www.pemtram.com.au/Pemberton%20Tramway%20Company.htm being aware that due to fire danger, steam only operates in winter - you will have to be satisfied with diesel. You could even get energetic and climb the gloucester tree http://www.australiassouthwest.com/en/Southern+Forests/Pemberton/Attractions/default.htm?qid=6C2F7B9A-B5D2-4C7A-91DF-6A60685C8588&p=1&c=NATURAL&pname=Gloucester%20Tree&pid=9001662
Here is a link to other attractions in the area http://www.australiassouthwest.com/en/Southern+Forests/Pemberton/Attractions/default.htm?qid=80585FB5-A9BF-4489-B3A4-9533BE404BC9&c=NATURAL

From Pemby head towards Walpole and from there you will want to allow plenty of time to travel to Albany, there is much to see and do there are plenty of places to stay but I would definitely recomend either Peacefull bay (close to the treetop walk and walpole and on a beautifull sheltered bay) or Parry beach which is very handy for the William bay nat' park (dont miss this one, in particular Greens pool) http://www.australiassouthwest.com/en/Natural+Wonders/William+Bay+National+Park.htm . Parry beach is also not far from the very pretty town of Denmark http://www.denmark.com.au/en/Natural+Wonders+of+Denmark/default.htm .

Burnsy
8th January 2008, 11:27 PM
I will second Pemberton, make sure you visit the gallery that is off the main road in town, it is up the hill off the main road, don't know the name of it or the road but it has some sensational woodwork in it, a cukoo clock that was made enirely of timber, workings and all, each tooth on each cog cut in individually from what I could see, absolutely amazing.

dennford
9th January 2008, 08:52 AM
I will second Pemberton, make sure you visit the gallery that is off the main road in town, it is up the hill off the main road, don't know the name of it or the road but it has some sensational woodwork in it, a cukoo clock that was made enirely of timber, workings and all, each tooth on each cog cut in individually from what I could see, absolutely amazing.

Could be the Pemberton fine woodworking gallery - they are I believe a co-operative and exhibit the work of many people from different crafts rather than being a private gallery. I do know that they had a wooden clock, but then again there are a few places with them.

Anyhow most of the galleries here are worth a visit.

Denn

rod1949
9th January 2008, 09:12 AM
...and then there's Nomesville. I can never remember what town its near or the road its on, but somebody here will tell ya.

TimberNut
9th January 2008, 09:25 AM
Rod, what's in Nomesville that is worth a look?

rod1949
9th January 2008, 09:35 AM

Over a period of time 100's of Nomes have been placed on a section of the road out in the bush. It well worth a look.

dennford
9th January 2008, 09:46 AM
Remember the Dardanup heritage park mentioned earlier - that will get you within cooee of gnomesville - I can't remember the road name but if you head from the heritage park back through Dardanup and onto Ferguson valley road, that will take you to the place.

dennford
13th January 2008, 11:05 AM
I've been off for a few days, went to the doc's for a minor complaint and it ended up my being in hospital for surgery - all's well now though.

If you want more info I have tons of it on the areas you are thinking of - just shout.

Denn

TimberNut
14th January 2008, 10:42 AM
Denn, sorry to hear about the unscheduled hospital visit, but glad all is OK now.

Thanks for all the detailed info to date. SWMBO and I will be going through all the stuff posted here, and researching it all, to draw up a detailed itinerary before we leave. And so all information is very much appreciated.

It certainly helps, having locals advise on things to see and do, (particularly when they share the same passion for timber that I do).

I appreciate the detailed info you have provided to date, and would love any more you can offer.

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far, it looks like we're gonna have one awesome drive around SW W.A.

dennford
14th January 2008, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm not allowed to do any lifting or stretching for some weeks yet, so I may as well spend time on here.

I guess that if as you say you are interested in seeing some scenery, that you will be visiting some national parks so it would be worth considering a monthly park pass to save a few dollars - if you visit ten parks at $10 per park that is $100, wheras a one month pass is only $35 and allows as many entries as you wish.

http://www.naturebase.net/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,13/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,763/

Denn

dennford
16th January 2008, 12:46 PM
Well! we have you on the doorstep of Albany, but I'm surprised that no one has said anything about what I believe to be Albany's most important attraction - Whaleworld out at Cheynes Beach http://www.whaleworld.org/ , whale world was not too many years ago an operating whaling station, in fact some of the characters who once worked as whalers still live in the area today. In spite of it's gruesome past this whaling station is now a museum well worth visiting for an insight into the past and the future of these great mammals.You can even board the preserved whalechaser "Cheynes 4" and experience a whale chase through audio re-enactment.

Whilst in Albany you may alsowish to visit the brig "Amity" a replica of the first ship to bring convicts and settlers to Albany.

The above are two of my own prefferences for Albany, for more about the town you may find these two sites usefull.
http://www.historicalbany.com.au/
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Western-Australia/Albany/2005/02/17/1108609327276.html

After a day or so in Albany I would certainly be heading north towards the Stirling ranges via Porongorups but more on those later.

Denn

TimberNut
16th January 2008, 02:04 PM
Denn, how many nights should I plan on staying in Albany? I was originally planning on 3-4. Is that too many?

dennford
16th January 2008, 03:32 PM
Denn, how many nights should I plan on staying in Albany? I was originally planning on 3-4. Is that too many?

For my money I would spend a couple of nights on the coast between Albany and Walpole (probably at Peacefull bay or Parry beach) This leaves you pretty well central for that whole bit of coast and some of the big tree stuff. I would only spend one, or possibly two nights in Albany itself before heading out and spending another one or two nights in the Stirling/Porongorup area.

That is of course based on my preferences for the natural attractions. Other people may want to spend more time in town.

Denn

dennford
16th January 2008, 04:09 PM
Here are a few pics of greens pool in the William Bay nat' park only short distance west of Albany.

Denn

dennford
16th January 2008, 07:34 PM
And some big wood from "The Valley of The Giants" just a few minutes away from Peacefull bay.

Denn

TimberNut
21st January 2008, 10:30 AM
Denn,

thanks for all the info, and pics.

It'll really help to narrow our itinerary to make one awesome trip.

All efforts by everyone posting on this thread are Very Much appreciated.

Timbernut

Ashore
21st January 2008, 01:16 PM
Wave Rock well worth seeing though it doesn't look as good without shmbo in the frame

TimberNut
21st January 2008, 01:18 PM
Ashore, we've planned to arrive at whatever town it is near Wave Rock about lunch one day, and stay overnight there, and continue on the next day. Is that enough time there? what else is there to do in that area?

dennford
21st January 2008, 01:50 PM
There is a camp site near wave rock itself, only a few kms east of Hyden. If you have been in the Stirling ranges, it is an easy mornings drive to Hyden which would fit in perfectly with what you plan.

Denn

dennford
21st January 2008, 01:58 PM
Here are some pic's from the stirling ranges, do you do any walking?

Denn

TimberNut
21st January 2008, 02:01 PM
yep - I walk from the car to the lookout :-)

no seriously, would consider a 5-10km roundtrip walk to a lookout, but that's about our limit.

Those pics look niiiiiiice.

dennford
21st January 2008, 02:24 PM
yep - I walk from the car to the lookout :-)

no seriously, would consider a 5-10km roundtrip walk to a lookout, but that's about our limit.

Those pics look niiiiiiice.

I was thinking along the line of walking to the top of those hills in the pic's. But they are still well worth a visit - lots of great vistas from the roadside and a good campsite nearby. I reckon they are one of the highlights of the south west.

After leaving Albany I would be tempted to head north on Chester pass road turning off to go west through the Porongorup ranges to the town of Mount Barker before heading up Red gum Pass and back east via Stirling range drive (a spectacular road) and then camping for the night.

Denn

Ashore
21st January 2008, 03:12 PM
Ashore, we've planned to arrive at whatever town it is near Wave Rock about lunch one day, and stay overnight there, and continue on the next day. Is that enough time there? what else is there to do in that area?
Sorry mate we did the bus thing to wave rock lobster lunch and all and they took us to a heap of places , easier than driving :2tsup:

dennford
21st January 2008, 05:07 PM
what else is there to do in that area?

Having only been through that area a couple of times many years ago I may not be of much help - although surely someone knows the area.

As you drive through that southern wheatbelt the only thing that you will be aware of are wheatfields and granite outcrops. here are some great pic's of the outcrops http://members.iinet.net.au/~ricphoto/granite2.html (http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Ericphoto/granite2.html) he has 3 pages of those pics, or you may want to look here http://www.wheatbelttourism.com/en/Attractions/Granite+Outcrops.htm - they give a desription and directions for getting there.

Having got so far you will have to decide which way to go from Hyden. The two obvious ways are to either head north towards the great eastern hwy where you could pick up the pipelene heading back to Perth maybe taking in Goomalling and Toodyay. The other way is to head east-nth-east to Brookton, Beverly and the historic town of York.

Then maybe a day or so rest in Perth before heading to Monkey Mia.

Denn

dennford
28th January 2008, 09:39 AM
Well if you haven't spent too much time on that south west leg, you may have just enough time to head north for your proposed visit to monkey mia.

I know the areas north of Perth well and although many people say that it is just mile after mile of nothing, believe me there is plenty to see for those who look - or indeed have the time. Unfortunately after your trip sw your time will be very limited so I shall concentrate on leading you to what I think are the highlights.

Denn

rod1949
20th February 2008, 03:12 PM

TimberNut, here's some links to the location of Nomesville http://www.fergusonvalley.net.au/map.htm and http://www.fergusonvalley.net.au/attractions.htm#gnomesville

I'm taking the Missus down south for a dirty few days in late May. I've seen Nomesville by stumbling across it in the past, but the wife hasn't so I thought I better brush up as to where it is