PDA

View Full Version : Something a little different

Farnk
8th January 2008, 01:53 PM
HI everyone, been a while since I've been at both the forums and the lathe!

Anyway, was helping the FIL clean out and tidy his shed when I came across an old brass bell (presumably from an old ornamental doorbell or such, FIL is a packrat!)

Took it home and thought that it would be a laugh to make a pedestal for it and take it to work to use in staff meetings.

So here's the result, the idea was to make it out of different types of timber for a contrast effect. There is spotted gum (the uprights), Jarrah (the handle and crosspiece), Ironwood (The hammer head) and redgum (base)

Excuse my product photography!:U

F

artme
8th January 2008, 01:56 PM
Very nifty piece of work.:2tsup::2tsup:

OGYT
8th January 2008, 02:01 PM
Nice looking work on that bell mount. That'll ring their bells at staff meetings!! :D

RufflyRustic
8th January 2008, 04:19 PM
Different and brilliant! Though I'd watch out for whoever's got the mallet in their hand, they may decide to use that on the person rather that on the bell -- or would that just be me and me alone :wink::D

Greenie fired! Great Idea, very nicely presented.

cheers
Wendy

Farnk
8th January 2008, 05:40 PM
Different and brilliant! Though I'd watch out for whoever's got the mallet in their hand, they may decide to use that on the person rather that on the bell -- or would that just be me and me alone :wink::D

Greenie fired! Great Idea, very nicely presented.

cheers
Wendy

Well, judging by the way our meetings go, it's good to have the option!
The idea is to have someone act as the 'DDD' or Designated Digression Detector. When they see that we have gone off track, or are getting bogged down in inappropriate detail, the bell is rung and the meeting pauses to decide whether to continue or move the topic to another agenda.

To stop them getting too toey with the hammer, the DDD has the job of documenting and tracking the new agenda items.

It sounds boring and bureaucratic I know, but it's hard to keep 16 or so people on track.:doh:

Simomatra
8th January 2008, 06:07 PM
Nice job on the bell Farnk looks a s if that will get their attention. Don't forget if the bell is told by someone who is not supposed to then it is their shout, usually a slab

BernieP
8th January 2008, 06:53 PM
G'Day Farnk

Very nice conversation piece, especially like the different woods.

Cheers
Bernie

pitbull
9th January 2008, 06:34 AM
Very nice farnk. :2tsup: