PDA

View Full Version : A mystery - need advice/suggestions

Wood Borer
9th January 2008, 09:29 AM
Can you help us solve this mystery.

For the past two nights, one of my boots has been moved from near the front door on the decking into the garden.

On both occasions it has been one of my boots (left boot one night and right boot last night). It happens between 10PM and 7AM. The other boots/shoes have not been touched.

On both occasions they were taken to exactly the same spot.

On both occasions the boots were left upright.

There doesn't appear to be any teeth marks or beak marks on the boots. There also doesn't seem to be any drag marks.

We have no dogs or cats and we haven't had any visitors since the boot mover started.

Possible suspects: King Parrots, Bower Birds, Magpies, Currawongs, Kookaburras, Cockatoos, Wombats. We feed the birds and they wake us up every morning reminding us to feed them. Only the Kookaburras or the Cockatoos would seem to be strong enough to lift the boots over the brick edges.

Our nearest neighbour is almost a Km away and there are no kids around for miles.

The boots have been kept there on and off for well over 12months now.

Has anyone got any solutions to this intriguing mystery?

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2008, 09:47 AM
Very intriguing Rob, you haven't been sleepwalking have you :doh: :U.

Noticed they are new, so maybe it's the smell of the new leather that attracting the mover.

wheelinround
9th January 2008, 09:51 AM
an old song comes to mind

Wood Borer
9th January 2008, 09:56 AM
DJ,

The boots are 12 months old but I only wear them when I am going out visiting or to meetings etc.

I don't think I sleep walk - Meg would surely have mentioned it.

I probably need to narrow down the times it happens (assuming it happens at roughly the same time) so I can keep watch.

I am lucky that whoever moves the boot leaves it where it can easily be found.

tea lady
9th January 2008, 10:49 AM
Maybe wife sleep walks?

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2008, 10:59 AM
What about setting up a sensor for a light, but instead of turning a light on have it turn a radio on in your bedroom so then you know the time to keep a look out or if you're quick to get up, you just might catch the perpetrator in action

Calm
9th January 2008, 11:04 AM
Does the boot in the garden have any dew on it - indicating it was there all night?

Wood Borer
9th January 2008, 11:22 AM
It's a bit warm by 7AM to notice the dew but good thinking.

DJ's idea has merit and I know a bit about electronics.

I might set up a tray with sand in it so I can see any footprints.

I do vaguely recall hearing a bit of a thump early this morning but dismissed it as something not too important and went back to sleep.

Gra
9th January 2008, 11:27 AM
drop bear???

sounds to me like you have a playful possum

DJ’s Timber
9th January 2008, 11:27 AM
Maybe the Bunyip been visiting or one of Iain's Drop Bear is on the loose :o

Wood Borer
9th January 2008, 01:17 PM
After quite a bit of discussion, Meg and both think it could be a young Kookaburra.

One was learning to laugh this morning just near the bedroom window, it is almost there but needs to hone the finer points of laughter - the end of the chorus is missing at this stage.

I doubt if it is a drop bear because I have never heard of them dropping boots - dropping on boots, yes but not picking up boots and dropping them.

Vernonv
9th January 2008, 01:36 PM
Dust some baby power around the general area of the boot and see what walks through it.

I would have thought that a boot would be too heavy for most birds to lift and/or drag.

echnidna
9th January 2008, 02:02 PM
Some local doin some leg pulling on ther city slickers?

Wongo
9th January 2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=64323&stc=1&d=1199850009

bsrlee
9th January 2008, 07:39 PM
Feral cat is my guess - seems stinky human feet smell 'romatic' to cats, which is why some of the daft b's attack your toes.

Ashore
9th January 2008, 08:07 PM
Leave a cd player on near your boot with some blues music on repeat
( it may be a whatever is after them just wants a little bit of sole ) :D

Wood Borer
9th January 2008, 08:57 PM
Greenie on way Ashore:D

Wongo
9th January 2008, 10:15 PM
Oh dear :D

DavidG
9th January 2008, 10:18 PM
Them boots made for walking?

Buzza
9th January 2008, 11:39 PM
My bet is, a fox is at it. They just cannot leave human doorways alone, nor their garbage cans, and they will also stick their head right into a door if it's left open. This is probably a young fox and he thinks the boot may be a worthwhile stash, or just likes the smell. :U

Now, can you tell me, for what good reason you'd leave your boots outside for any nasty to get into? Scorpians love them, and White Tailed spiders as well.

A newspaper boot rest on the floor just inside is a safer idea.

Talc is good, but do you know how to tell the footprints of various aniamls? Take pictures of the prints if you do get any, with a ruler against them.

I looking forward to the results of this one. :2tsup:

Wood Borer
10th January 2008, 12:04 AM
You could be correct Buzza although not that many foxes around. We hardly ever see rabbits - tons of other animals though but all native. When I was in Melbourne I saw hundreds more foxes in the inner suburbs and like you said they were a pest with the bins.

We always leave our boots outside and it has only been this week that we have had problems and on both occasions just with those boots. Not too many scorpions up this way but I have seen the odd one.

The other interesting part is that they were both left in exactly the same spot give or take 5mm and both times left upright. Being left upright is certainly consistent with it being a fox or a dog

I have a fairly good knowledge of animal tracks especially the animal tracks around these parts.

I will keep you across any developments.

Wood Borer
22nd January 2008, 11:09 PM
The culprit has made two more visits since my last post.

The first was similar to the others except it was one of Meg's shoes that time.

The second visit occurred on Monday night. We heard noises on the pebbles near our bedroom just on dawn. The noises were very and light quick footsteps. We couldn't see anything so went back to sleep.

When we got up, both of Meg's shoes were missing. We found one on the decking under the table and after and hour of searching, we found the other one in the orchard about 50m from the house.

It was some time later that I discovered muddy footprints on the side of the BBQ. They were as if the culprit had been standing up on it's back legs sniffing the BBQ.

The footprints were about the diameter of a 50 cent coin. I suggest that Buzza is correct suggesting it was a fox.

I have seen dingoes in the area but about 10Km away and their paws are generally quite large. I doubt if it is a cat because the paw prints were too large and I suspect a cat would have jumped up on the BBQ but there were no marks on top of the BBQ lid.

Buzza
23rd January 2008, 11:06 PM
This has become very intersting, andI'm following your progress. I'm 100% sure it is a fox now, as they have an almost dainty footprint compared to a dog or dingo. They will all climb though, and stand up on rear legs. Foxes and dingoes are great tree climbers. :cool:

tea lady
23rd January 2008, 11:45 PM
Suggest wife gets heavier shoes so fox can't carry them as far.:D

Wood Borer
24th January 2008, 09:29 AM
If we had mobile coverage up here, I could jam a mobile in one of the shoes so I could find it easily - just ring the shoe.

Now that would be being Smart to the Max:roll:

Bleedin Thumb
24th January 2008, 12:06 PM
Maybe you should invest in some foot deodorant - I had a similar experience with a pair of sandshoes once, they were constantly trying to escape.:wink:

Wood Borer
24th January 2008, 12:23 PM
Would 1080 foot deodorant work in this case?:rolleyes:

Bleedin Thumb
24th January 2008, 05:29 PM
A cocktail of Sheep Dip and 245 -T may also be of assistance....

or as the old hippy saying goes....

If you really love something, set them free...:U

tea lady
24th January 2008, 05:51 PM
A wonderful vision of shoes and boots roaming the hills and plains running free at last.

Gil Jones
26th January 2008, 01:27 PM
Tie a bit of string to a boot (or shoe), and the other end to a lidded tin can with some pebbles or small bells in it. Might make some noise dragging the boot (or shoe). Rather like an alarm.

tea lady
26th January 2008, 03:58 PM
:confetti:Just married. Boot and fox. Te he he he.

echnidna
26th January 2008, 05:04 PM
Tis' nought but Faeries in your garden

rgum
28th January 2008, 06:31 PM
SWMBO suggests that you make a catapault like the one she saw on You Tube, Vid entitled, " Squirrel catapault". You'll cak yourself when you see it. Was in a thread recently.
Failing that, spray the boots with amonia or white vinegar to deter the taking away of the boots.
Good luck.

jow104
28th January 2008, 06:43 PM
~Rob, put one of your BBQ steaks next to your boots and see which one the old cobbler takes.

Wood Borer
29th January 2008, 10:57 AM
That would be a misteak John!

We are currently thinking along the lines of tying some rattly things to the boots each night - thanks for the good idea Gil.

Gil Jones
29th January 2008, 04:00 PM
Welcome, WB.
Be interesting to 'hear' how it works.

prozac
1st February 2008, 04:20 PM
Tie a bit of string to a boot (or shoe), and the other end to a lidded tin can with some pebbles or small bells in it. Might make some noise dragging the boot (or shoe). Rather like an alarm.

Tie the other end to your toe, you'll be certain to wake up!

prozac

STAR
4th February 2008, 10:14 PM
Well said Prozac. You can always get a smile on this site.:rolleyes:

Christopha
5th February 2008, 11:44 AM
1 boot at a time? found on lawn? Obviously a grass hopper!

Wood Borer
5th February 2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for that DS.:U

tea lady
5th February 2008, 11:43 PM
1 boot at a time? found on lawn? Obviously a grass hopper!

:hahaha:

Wood Borer
14th February 2008, 11:37 PM
I met the culprit last Friday morning.

It was about 5:30AM and I was bleary eyed making my breakfast when I noticed a young fox on the decking. I sneaked up to the door and suddenly opened the door and shouted. The fox looked up at me but made no attempt to run off.

It was only about 10 feet from me so I picked up some stones and hurled them at it. The fox ran off behind some bushes and then slowly approached me again. More stones several times with the same reaction. It came up to me within six feet of me.:?

Was I dreaming? My experience with foxes is that they disappear at the first sign of movement or noise but not this little beggar. I gave up shaking my head in disbelief and made my cup of coffee.

Here I was sitting on the decking drinking my coffee and having a smoke with the fox sitting within 15 feet of me just staring at me. I pretended it wasn't there. Eventually it wandered off after being swooped by the maggies.

I mentioned the incident to our local Wild Dog officer tonight, he was most surprised at the fox's behaviour but put it down to the fox being a juvenile and having no fear of us humans.

At least we know who the culprit is - a young brazen fox.

Thanks for your suggestions and help in this perplexing matter.

jow104
15th February 2008, 12:31 AM
Myself woodborer, I would encourage his visits or any wild animal, nothing pleases me more than to be trusted by visitors from the other kingdoms.

Bleedin Thumb
15th February 2008, 05:17 AM
John , a fox may be wildlife in your neck of the woods...here they are considered vermin.

jow104
15th February 2008, 06:24 AM
Crocs. and their friends are the only animals that put me off.
I've called on country folk that have foxes as domestic pets here in the UK.
More friendly than Rotweilers.

Vernonv
15th February 2008, 09:13 AM
...here they are considered vermin.

Yep ... the only good fox, is a dead one. I wish they would stand that still (and close) for me.

tea lady
15th February 2008, 09:29 AM
I met the culprit last Friday morning.

It was about 5:30AM and I was bleary eyed making my breakfast when I noticed a young fox on the decking. I sneaked up to the door and suddenly opened the door and shouted. The fox looked up at me but made no attempt to run off.

It was only about 10 feet from me so I picked up some stones and hurled them at it. The fox ran off behind some bushes and then slowly approached me again. More stones several times with the same reaction. It came up to me within six feet of me.:?

Was I dreaming? My experience with foxes is that they disappear at the first sign of movement or noise but not this little beggar. I gave up shaking my head in disbelief and made my cup of coffee.

Here I was sitting on the decking drinking my coffee and having a smoke with the fox sitting within 15 feet of me just staring at me. I pretended it wasn't there. Eventually it wandered off after being swooped by the maggies.

I mentioned the incident to our local Wild Dog officer tonight, he was most surprised at the fox's behaviour but put it down to the fox being a juvenile and having no fear of us humans.

At least we know who the culprit is - a young brazen fox.

Thanks for your suggestions and help in this perplexing matter.

The fox is in love with you.:D Finally met the owner of those heavenly smelling boots. He's just working out how to cart you off to his den.:doh:

RufflyRustic
15th February 2008, 10:32 AM
Nice one Tea Lady :2tsup::D

Glad the mystery is solved Rob, but as is usual, one mystery is solved and another one presents itself.

Why on earth would a fox be so unconcerned about you? I hesitate to totally believe the 'juvenile fox' explanation. If that were the case, wouldn't we be surrounded by lots of other 'juveniles' when in the bush?:?

It does, however, make me wonder if it were once a pet?? Or maybe it's as Tea Lady suggested, that it is used to your presence.

Hmmm......

cheers
Wendy

Wood Borer
15th February 2008, 11:05 AM
Perhaps it hasn't been shot at yet so it has no need to fear humans:?

John, as has been mentioned, they are imported vermin who attack our wildlife. Our flora and fauna evolved without consideration of creatures like cats, rabbits and foxes.

They have no or very little predators and they have abilities to kill our wildlife where our creatures have no defence.

Perhaps if we lived in the UK we could make it a pet but here it is not possible. I think you could be fined for encouraging foxes here.

And then there is Tea Lady suggesting a foxy female might be in love with me - I am a happily married bloke.:o

Bleedin Thumb
15th February 2008, 02:25 PM
Finally met the owner of those heavenly smelling boots.

Seen as foxes have a habit of rolling around in their own urine to improve their scent ....I can only image that those boots of your may not smell entirely heavenly!:(

Is that the reason they live outside?

tea lady
15th February 2008, 06:38 PM
Heavenly to a fox!!
Just wanted to alert you to her (his?) true intentions.:D You don't have to accept every foxy advance you know. Or is that against some sort of male lore?:oo:

Wood Borer
16th February 2008, 09:49 PM
Seen as foxes have a habit of rolling around in their own urine to improve their scent ....I can only image that those boots of your may not smell entirely heavenly!:(

Is that the reason they live outside?

BT,

I think it was who came up with a suggestion of how make new boots fit a bit better - urinate in them:doh:

I want it put on record that these boots fitted nicely from day one and I had no need nor desire to take such drastic action with these boots.:o

I also would like it put on record that the saying us blokes use "splash the boots" is only a saying when it concerns me.:rolleyes:

But yes the boots can get a bit on the nose after sweating in them all day so perhaps that is why the fox finds them so attractive.

Wood Borer
16th February 2008, 09:53 PM
You don't have to accept every foxy advance you know. Or is that against some sort of male lore?:oo:

Tea Lady,

I have not been physically distracted in my 30 years of marriage - some might think I am straight laced and old fashioned, good for them, I am more than happy with my Meg.:):):)

tea lady
16th February 2008, 10:47 PM
Oh dear!! Sorry if I caused offense. I'm sure the fox only loves you for your mind.:D

Any way, so what you gonna do? Put the boots in a cupboard? Call the zoo?:?

Waldo
16th February 2008, 10:58 PM
Rob,

Are there any gnomes in your garden? I wouldn't think it could've been the Stuff-up Fairies as I'm sure it's been a long time since you last saw them. :D

Wood Borer
16th February 2008, 10:58 PM
Oh dear!! Sorry if I caused offense. I'm sure the fox only loves you for your mind.:D

Any way, so what you gonna do? Put the boots in a cupboard? Call the zoo?:?

No offence taken, the key word was "physical" :wink:.

We'll leave our boots inside just before we go to bed. I think my little fox is likely to meet his maker at the hands of a farmer or hunter. There are wild dog problems in the area with people who have stock.

Chris,

The only gnome in our garden is me!!

Waldo
16th February 2008, 11:14 PM
Chris,

The only gnome in our garden is me!!

Boom, boom. :D

prozac
17th February 2008, 12:52 AM
Maybe the fox was not bothered by your presence because it was already familiar with your scent (foot odour?)?

prozac

kekemo
17th February 2008, 01:13 AM
I agree...you have a cat burgler...cats love hopping in boots...haven't you heard of "Pussy in Boots" they literally try to hop in them....there is definitely an odour those kitty cats like about our feet...
set a mouse trap in one...or spray with a little vinigar..keep us posted...Catching....story...

Like idea about the talcum powder.....a real sleuth....detective at work....start detecting...!!!!
Cheers

Shedgirl
22nd February 2008, 01:14 AM
Recently a friend here in the valley had a BBQ and a fox appeared; it came to within 10 feet of the bloke doing the 'cooking' and sat down, apparently waiting for a handout!

The one I ran over in the cruiser the other night looked pretty scared.. but only for a second. After that it just looked...squashed.:oops:

Gil Jones
24th February 2008, 05:18 AM
Sounds like you have a least zeroed in on the culprit.
Where we live (in Southwest Georgia woodsy country), if a wild animal shows no fear of people (especially after being pelted with stones) we would worry, seriously, about rabies.

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/rabies/symptoms.shtml

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs099/en

Wood Borer
24th February 2008, 12:53 PM
Sounds like you have a least zeroed in on the culprit.
Where we live (in Southwest Georgia woodsy country), if a wild animal shows no fear of people (especially after being pelted with stones) we would worry, seriously, about rabies.

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/rabies/symptoms.shtml

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs099/en

Thanks Gil for the suggestion but there aren't any Synagogues for miles around here.:wink:

The fox was small and in excellent health at the time. It is normal to hear a few shots around here and we haven't seen it for a few weeks.:o

Gil Jones
24th February 2008, 02:33 PM
We have a Red Fox that regularly walks between our home and the lake. It is bold in that it will stop and watch me watch it, but only from 40+ meters, and if I walk towards it, it will depart. The fox must somehow know that I am not an overt threat, but it still will not allow me to advance on it without trotting off.
There is an Armadillo that digs many small holes in the yard late at night searching for worms to eat. This rascal is dead meat if I ever catch it, but I generally am not up at 3:00am, so it is rather safe (for now).

Wood Borer
24th February 2008, 09:08 PM
We have echidnas wander around the garden looking for termites and wombats who scratch the grass a bit but they dig their holes a fair way from the house and don't present any problems to the garden.

How big are armadillos? I know what they look like but I have never seen one.

jow104
24th February 2008, 10:10 PM
An arm is around 30" and a dill come all sizes. Rob.:rolleyes:

Wood Borer
24th February 2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for that John:roll:

Gil Jones
25th February 2008, 03:41 PM
http://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo

Wood Borer
25th February 2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks Gil - most interesting.:2tsup:

Buzza
26th February 2008, 12:08 AM
The difference between a fox and a dog is two drinks. . . .so I've been told!!! :cool:

I'm off to play "Spot The Dog". :-

Allan at Wallan
17th April 2008, 05:27 PM
Have only just noticed this thread.

I just think the fox was a bit of a lair.

Allan

I once stole a calendar - and got 12 months.