PDA

View Full Version : How many pens?

corbs
9th January 2008, 09:49 AM
Hi all,
There is a small local market where I live and I have been playing with the idea of trying a stall there with my pens & other small bits & pieces. The market is once a month and would just be a trial at first with the option of going to every second market. Does anyone do anything similar and if so what sort of quantities of stock do you take? I know each market is different and this is only a small one but seems to get a bit of through traffic. I was thinking around 100 pens with a couple of $80+, 20-30 in the $30-$50 bracket and the rest slimlines between $20-$25. Would also take a few keyrings & perfume applicators too but still perfecting the perfume applicators.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Corbs

ss_11000
9th January 2008, 11:13 AM
why not take them all? even if you dont display them all at once.

corbs
9th January 2008, 12:41 PM
lol... if I took them 'all' at the moment that would only be about 20 pens, 4 keyrings & 1 atomiser (got cleaned out over christmas:2tsup:). More referring to what would be a minimum stock? I figure if I sold 100 pens assuming they are all the cheap $20 ones then I would have made $2000 which isn't a bad day in the office:D.

Tornatus
9th January 2008, 03:11 PM
I figure if I sold 100 pens assuming they are all the cheap $20 ones then I would have made $2000 which isn't a bad day in the office:D.

Mate - don't want to rain on your parade, but based on the experience of several of our mutual colleagues, you would be very lucky indeed to sell 10 pens, let alone 100, and it would depend (how can I put this diplomatically?) on the "socio-economic profile" of the customers of the particular market you attend. If they are only willing to buy "cheap" pens (to use your term), then they will be unlikely to buy a wooden pen for $20 when there are so many inexpensive plastic ones around - your pens would have to have a special look about them (eg striking colours/grain pattern) and a high-gloss (ie plastic) finish. You would probably have more luck with acrylic or Dymondwood in that sort of context.

A friend of mine regularly goes to one of the main local markets, sells relatively few slimlines, but often has more luck with the higher-priced American-style pens - big & chunky, with lots of gold/silver filagree (hate 'em, myself!) The point seems to be that the people attending that market have the cash to spend on something that looks expensive and is priced accordingly.

The environment can also be a factor - I have visited a well-known local tourist attraction woodcraft gallery, and have seen pens (mainly slimlines) on sale which I thought were pretty ordinary and in some cases quite poorly finished. They were presented, however, as "exclusive" products in a prestigious environment, and priced accordingly.

I'm not trying to talk you out of having a go, but I suggest you need to lower your expectations of likely sales volumes. There are a number of people in the local Guild who have tried the markets game - talk to them and I'm sure they will be a source of good advice on pricing, presentation and customer profiles. Good luck - but don't give up your day job. :U

corbs
9th January 2008, 04:22 PM
Tornatus,
Thanks for the advice, using the number of selling 100 pens was only an example, however I would be disappointed if I only sold 10 in a day at the market. There have been several times where I have sold 10 in a day without the intention of selling any. I take my pens into work and a few people ask for a look, before I know it I have sold a few and have orders for more. Its enough to keep me going at the moment but do have my sights set on bigger game:cool:. I live in Bungendore and was referring to the local markets out here. They are not great markets but get a lot of people through the door and with the wood gallery nearby I may get some overflow customers? As for quitting the day job... I can't see myself pulling in $60k a year from the pens so the kiddies at ADFA will have to put up with me for a bit longer:2tsup:.

Cheers,
Corbs

dai sensei
9th January 2008, 08:21 PM
There are a few markets around Canberra with other woodies selling turned timber. Why don't you check them out and see how those guys are going?

Like Tornatus, although I have never sold at markets, my knowledge of local guys here is that they don't sell much. Most regulars are retirees selling for the company and atmosphere of the market, the money they make is usually pocket money. A regular I know pays $25 for his site, then averages 5 pens and a bowl in a day ~$130 worth for 6 hours, and he has an extensive range of turned products. He does have his good days though and sells a lot more.

All the best.

madmix
9th January 2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Corbs, aim for sales of about ten, then you will not be too
disappointed. If you expect to sell a hundred and only sell five, then you
will be so disheartened as to give it away or at least lose the enjoyment
of turning.
But on the bright side there is plenty of money in the capital, and I can attest to that, as several of my creations now reside there.

cheers Mick

funkychicken
9th January 2008, 10:37 PM
I've noticed that there's a certain amount of class in markets. Like in toowoomba there's the Queens park markets - which sell; jewellery, woodstuffs, cheese and wine, music. Then there's the PCYC markets - which sell Junk, Junk, animals, Fruit and veg, Junk.
Bogan markets aren't the kind of place that you'll sell expensive stuff. People with class are more likely to buy nice (expensive) things.

Just a thought

arose62
10th January 2008, 11:24 AM
When SWMBO saw my first couple of pens, she announced her intention of "flogging them at the markets", and envisioned that she could get $10-$15 for them.

I held out against the market idea, saying I would rather sell less, and for a higher price, to folk who really wanted them.
After word-of-mouth sales all going for $50 - $65 each, she's comfortable with ideas like 'exclusive', 'hand-crafted', and 'high quality'.

I've seen too many poorly done (IMHO) slimlines in bulk at markets...

Cheers,
Andrew

corbs
10th January 2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the comments all. My intention was only to test the waters locally to see what the response would be like and maybe spread my name a bit further than my current client list. As I work full time, it takes me a while to build up my stocks of pens so my original question about quantities was more to gauge how long it would take rather than should I or shouldn't I. I have another group of potential clients which I am yet to develop too so will be looking at that area when I return to work. All comments are appreciated.

Cheers,
Corbs

rodent
18th March 2008, 09:28 PM
Corbs you might want to think about sets of pens . Pen and pencil and desk sets pen ,pencil and desk stand . They look much better as a set . Display them on velvet black or blue not green. I sold more that way .:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th March 2008, 08:54 PM
The important thing is to take a notepad along so you can jot down notes of what sold and what attracted interest, so that you can tailor the next batch for that market... don't just trust to memory. :;

I'd take along examples of every style & kit of pen you make and a good cross-section of materials, then throw up a sign saying something along the lines of "pens made to order." Then people could point at what they see and say "I want that kit in that style, from that material... how much?"

Sir Stinkalot
20th March 2008, 09:36 PM
I would tend to go on the conservative side of pens on display. The last thing that you want to do is to confuse people with the choice. If you give your customer an overly busy visual display they will be unlikely to focus on your product.

By all means make a large number but only put out a handful on display at a time and then replace them as they sell. If somebody is looking for something particular you can simply ask what they are interested in and then look through your backup stock.

It also would help to have a few other items. The key to good market sales is:

1. having people around your stall ..... it makes it look busy and it attracts people. Too often people walk past an empty stall fearing that they will have to enter into discussions with the stall holder. If it is busy they are more likely to approach and see what you have on offer (and buy). You cant sell to a customer who doesn't stop.

2. Like above ..... if somebody comes to your stall talk to them about your product, make them stop. Make it clear that you make the item and express how interested in it you are. It is difficult not to make a purchase after you have entered into a friendly discussion with the maker (thats why I have a knitted banana in red pyjamas with no child to give it to :) ). You will get sick of telling people how you make pens but it may be the 100th time you have spoken about it for the day but it will be the first time that they have heard it.

3. Have a few other items than just the pens. If people aren't interested in your pens they may stop to look at something else. Again this will assist in point #1.

Best of luck.

corbs
20th March 2008, 11:28 PM
For the recent comments... thanks, since starting to make pens, I have got a pretty good idea of my pricing and know my starting points pretty well. I do not try to make my fortune from pen turning but get enough out of it to make it worthwhile and keeps me turning. Good advice from Stinky... and it is appreciated. There have been a couple of other avenues open to me since starting this thread which are being investigated and if they come off, the market stall will be the least of my problems. If the market stall ends up happening I will update this thread with how it went and will be happy to assist others in a similar field (if they aren't competition:rolleyes:).

Cheers,
Corbs

PenTurner
21st March 2008, 12:08 PM
"I Make these Pens myself"!!!! potential just looking customer actually stops, and usually says, "Do you?!" and I reply "Yes-- blah blah blah Sierra's in Titanium!-blah -Churchill's for the gentlemen!- blah blah- Emperors for Heirlooms, or Herlooms!-blah blah, -lasting unique handcrafted gifts-etc etc. Some can be engraved, blah-etc etc Amos:)