PDA

View Full Version : free wood

gahnzo
4th December 2003, 08:40 AM
Knew that would get your attention. Just wanted to say thanks to all of the other "posters"in this site. I keep learning each time I log in. I'm in the US and always look forward to seeing how others solve turning problems, specially down under. I particularly love the different types of woods. You've got some great ones. Also wanted to pass along an experience I had with free wood. I told my neighbor that I liked burls. I showed him one and he did'nt seem too impressed. Days went by and one evening I went into the garage to get a soda. I looked at my bandsaw and sitting on the table were two Beautiful Burls. I had left my garage door open earlier that afternnoon and evening. I spoke to my neighbor the next day and he said he was cutting some wood at his fathers cabin and thought I'd like the burls.
I don't have to worry about people stealing my stuff, I just have to worry about friends giving me more wood than I have room to keep it. I've also had some friends from my church bring me wood. So if you put the word out to your friends that you turn. (be sure to make em something nice for the free wood) You'll be surprised at what you get. Keep on turnin and thanks for all the great problem solutions.

glenn k
4th December 2003, 10:01 PM
I'm glad you can enjoy that. I supply seval turning friends with bits and pieces that I collect as an arborist.

Jeff
6th December 2003, 12:44 PM
free wood is always great. keep an eye out for any hitchhikers that may came along......ants, termites.....you get the idea. Also, it's a good idea to consider if there are bacteria in new arrivals that may adversely affect other timber in your possesion.