PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Garage

stevepay
9th January 2008, 06:45 PM
This may sound like an odd thing to ask but I am looking at Moving my double Garage 2m further into my property ( rear access...no jokes please :rolleyes: ) because there is not sufficent room to turn my ute into the garage when there is another vehicle already in there.

Basically took the advise of the company expert that built the garage who said I would have plenty of room ...:((

Anyway my question is what would be the best way ( easiest / quickest ) to break up the concrete and move the garage? any thoughts?

I am thinking of doing some of the work myself, but would look at hiring someone if it is too much of a drama.

wheelinround
9th January 2008, 06:53 PM
Steve is this a straight move in one direction ?
What is the garage made of?
some photo's may help in getting your idea across

I have had to help move a double wooden framed garage it had been bolted to the slab we raised and cut the bolts after much bracing and with the few fellows we had moved it very so slowly into its new spot.

Straight move slid along the slab about 1m back and side about 500mm.

stevepay
10th January 2008, 12:14 PM
Wheelinround,

The shed is pretty much a standard 6x6m approx colourbond tin garage, however the slab floor was poured after it was put in place to keep it solid.

This means that to move the garage I have to break up the concrete hense the question about the best way to do this...hopeing someone has a better Idea than a jackhammer...:( I will try and post a picture of it but I'm at work at the moment so will do this tonight.

It will be a straight move backwards 2m further into the property.

Was there a roller door or similar on the shed you moved? I was thinking how best to move the shed once the concrete is gone, can you really just pick these things up and move them ? ( obviously with a few helping hands ) or do they need to be disasembled etc...:?

Any thoughts?

echnidna
10th January 2008, 12:26 PM
I'd be inclined to leave the slab alone and cut the steel uprights off flush with the concrete.

Jack the garage up on some temporary supports.
Put some round logs (treated pine fence posts work well) under the temporary supports and push the garage into its new location.

Then its just a matter of putting some stumps etc into the ground in suitable places and attaching to the garage frame. You will probably have to cut some square holes into your slab so you can dig the new foundations. I'd use a power saw with a fibre disc so you get neat square holes.

Doing it this way means you only need to put a small slab down in the back section of your garage, and minimises the cost.
Its a one man job done this way.

DavidG
10th January 2008, 03:18 PM
:whs:

DvdHntr
10th January 2008, 03:44 PM
x2

Exactly what I was thinking.

dazzler
10th January 2008, 03:51 PM
What they said, BUT;

Does the concrete go up against the colourbond and is there a bottom plate that is now buried in the concrete?.

I would be inclined to maybe take off the colourbond sides anyway as they should be tech screwed or riveted on and would easily be removed and will allow better access to see whats going on where.

Six or eight sturdee lifters would prob lift one without the sides on too I reckon.\

Good luck!

wheelinround
10th January 2008, 06:40 PM
Hi the one we moved was timber frame and roller door we took that off safest way but you need at least 3 blokes for that they are ruddy heavy.

except I would buy new C purlins and afix these as the new base and cement in anchor bolts to the new area.

The lighter the load the easier to move

Ronaldo451
11th January 2008, 10:44 AM
If it is just a matter of getting a bit more room when the garage is already occupied, why can't you just add 2 meters (or even more) to the rear?

That would give you a 2 meter longer garage (always a plus) without the hassle of chopping and moving the existing structure. Simpler, cheaper and less intrusive....

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 10:57 AM
That's not a bad idea, leave it as is and extend the back allowing the second vehicle to park further in thus giving you the room to swing in :2tsup:

Terrian
12th January 2008, 11:05 AM
I'd be inclined to leave the slab alone and cut the steel uprights off flush with the concrete.

Jack the garage up on some temporary supports.
Put some round logs (treated pine fence posts work well) under the temporary supports and push the garage into its new location.

don't forget to brace the lower parts of the garage to their opposite side & diagonal sides where possible.

dazzler
12th January 2008, 12:54 PM
If it is just a matter of getting a bit more room when the garage is already occupied, why can't you just add 2 meters (or even more) to the rear?

That would give you a 2 meter longer garage (always a plus) without the hassle of chopping and moving the existing structure. Simpler, cheaper and less intrusive....

I got the impression he needs to turn in front of the garage :?

stevepay
19th January 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the input guys,

I have taken onboard the idea of extending the garage 2 metres but after looking at it again I still can't turn into the garage properly because it is too close to the back alley, so will need to stick with the original plan of moving it further into the property.

believe it or not there is guy in my area that moves garages for a living and I have contacted him to see how much this would cost, I need to way up the cost vs my time and effort ( and the thought of stuffing up a $5000 shed :oo: ) so I will see what he comes back with and go from there.

I think the most daunting task is the concrete removal as I don't facy hours on a jackhammer with a wheelbarrow..:C

DavidG
19th January 2008, 05:26 PM
I think the most daunting task is the concrete removal as I don't facy hours on a jackhammer with a wheelbarrow
Why remove the concrete. :?

Bloss
20th January 2008, 06:05 PM
If you take 2m off the front and put it on the back you have moved it back 2m and give yourself the turning room. Leave the concrete in place and just ramp up to it.

If too hard to cut in usable pieces and move then simple build new colourbond at back to match and cut-out the front. Most of these garages lend themselves to repositioning of the door back to the next steel truss so you can just set up the doors etc in further at whatever distance that is.

This is a non-trivial job. Worth a chat to the garage people for a solution - it might be cheapest to simply angle grind off the posts (or advertise to get someone to take it away) and the cladding above the concrete, get a new garage constructed on top of the slab and further back then pour a new bit of slab at the back (or do it before the new garage is erected. A new 6x6 garage is pretty cheap.

dazzler
20th January 2008, 08:48 PM
Pics Pics Pics :)