PDA

View Full Version : Firefly Restoration

gozzy
10th January 2008, 09:16 AM
Hello

I currently have my MKII Firefly in the garage and I am trying to restore her. I bought the boat last year and had a few leaks last year when sailing. :(

I decided to try to restore the boat to as high a standard I can. I have never tried restoring any boat so I am a complete novice.

I have started stripping all the epoxy off to see how much needs doing and have found a fair bit of rot around the centreboard case. I have put pictures up on my website http://www.axmi49.dsl.pipex.com/

The centreboard case has a hole in it as does the hull. If I remove the centreboard case I am worried the strength of the boat will go and I could do more damage than good.

Can someone please take a look at the pics and advise me what the best course of action would be?

Thanks in advance

Lee

robhosailor
11th January 2008, 08:13 PM
Hi,

I'm not expert of it, but I'm sure: Leaks on centrecase area are very often in old wooden boats and they are very difficult to repair.
I expect: you need to "exchange" rost part of keel and rost part of centrecase and adjust them together again.

Fine boat ...but serious disruption IMHO.

gozzy
12th January 2008, 05:43 AM
Hi and thanks for the reply

So do you mean i should cut a section out of the centreboard case and epoxy in a new peice of marine ply or replace the whole centre board case?

Any advice greatly appreciated :2tsup:

RossL
12th January 2008, 06:31 AM
I wish you well with the Firefly restoration. I think that the boat is worth doing well, and so I advise you to hasten slowly - it is very easy to do lasting damage with a power sander. Try to sand by hand using a longboard. For stripping paint, varnish, and epoxy, a heatgun (used at the lowest heat possible to prevent scorching) and a sharp scraper will save you days of work.

Buy yourself a copy of the West System "Wooden Boat Restoration and Repair Manual" - it is only $6.60 (I've got them in stock if you want one), and it may save you thousands of dollars. If you want to contact me directly, go to my website www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au (http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au) and you'll find my contact details. I've got a beautiful restored wooden International Finn from the 1956 Olympics, and she has given me much pleasure. What you are doing is worthwhile.

Ross Lillistone