PDA

View Full Version : my set up

charlsie
10th January 2008, 03:41 PM
since i'm still on holiday and finding this forum its fantastic. if not just for reading all about other peoples ways of how they go about things from setting up to chain speeds to anything else here's a couple of pics to show everyone my set up and possibly get a bit of weekend work come my way! I still work 40 hrs a week in a factory but they're pretty flexible if i need to take off and grab a tree or 2. the first shot should be of the lucas mill, dedicated slabber (1550mm cut) ,forklift, bobcat (has forks), and the 4wd crane truck. the second pic is inside the shed its a slab master can surface slabs up to six mtrs long and two mtrs wide. i had it made to suit this size slab, but because lucas make a slabber that can do 1800mm wide i thought i'd accomodate the size as well! when the boys at lucas talked me out of buying the larger bar i listened to them.now i whis i hadn't. any way if some of you millers want to post a few pics of your set up i'd love to see them .cheers charlsie sorry bout the pic size im still getting a hang on using computer,

echnidna
10th January 2008, 04:51 PM
drool

BobL
10th January 2008, 07:51 PM
Nice! Love to see the bigger and more pics!
Cheers

DJ’s Timber
10th January 2008, 07:58 PM
Noice :2tsup: so how much weight can the crane truck lift?

charlsie
10th January 2008, 08:46 PM
3 tonne at one mtr 300 kg at 7mtrs that's what the guide says on the crane since one mtr logs aren't any good to me i try to pick up 4.8 mtr logs at 6,7,800 kgs or so but if you get a good log in the right spot you get one end on chain that down then pick the other end up and put that on the truck. this way i can pick up nearly a 1000kg log not for the faint hearted though :o ps dj did you get my pm?

DJ’s Timber
10th January 2008, 08:55 PM
ps dj did you get my pm?

Yep :2tsup:

Exador
11th January 2008, 07:34 AM
Nice set up, charlsie. Similar to mine, excpet I don't have a slabmaster. I'm considering buying a planing blade from Lucas for that purpose. Do you use rails to load your logs into the mill? I have appoxmately 10m of 200x50 tallowwood rails set on a slight grade that I load with logs each night and then I can simply roll them into the mill by hand the next day. The mill remains aligned (both parallel and aligned with the bearers) and I can get through about 10-12 logs of about 500 diameter each day. More if I'm doing soft woods like silky or cedar.

charlsie
11th January 2008, 10:24 AM
craig i'm not bagging lucas it might sound like it ! the cutter head they sell to suit their machine is great no doubt the cutters are cheap enough to replace and its pretty easy to put on .my only problem with it is,because the machine is set for the blade to cut at 89 degrees it leaves those lines in the timber. Dudley from lucas had it going at a show and told me all i had to do was sand the lines out. I'm not going to do this purely because it takes too long.If i'm selling a good size regum slab to you and your using it for table top or island bar it has to be spot on (i charge up to $7000 a cube for these tops) after i finish the timber on the slabmaster it goes to the twin roll drum sander down the road and costs $180 anhour.well worthit though 1300mm wide planer in front of 80 grit paper then 120 grit paper in one pass out pops bench top quality slab:U.plus the fact you have to put a log in the mill flatten it then put the slab on and go from there. the other part is i have room for the slab master its permantly set up and out of weather, 3 phase power is quiet so i can work on the slabs when its raining or late at night two things i dont like doing with the mill. No i dont have logs leading into the mill becaus i keep on running over them with the bob cat,as well i move the mill around infrequently so its hard to have it all set up niecly plus i'm a bit lazy. even though i should have concrete blocks permantly set up to make it easy to put back and level up the end. by the way if you think this was a long winded reply you should hear me talk:no: regards charlsie

rgum
14th January 2008, 06:35 PM
Even in Mooroolbark I'm drooling . Can't you here me? Lucky bugger.
Well done. :2tsup: Can I swap you some nice fish form Portland? ha he.

Tony.

mrtayls
13th July 2009, 05:06 PM
hi charlsie
Would u be interested in dressing a couple of slabs of mine, 1080x2200?
give me a call on 0437241677

thanks Daniel

Sigidi
14th July 2009, 11:08 AM
Nice one Charlsie and thanks for showing us.

charlsie
14th July 2009, 06:01 PM
good to see things dont change much (check the date on the first post) yes daniel i'll give you a bell

Sigidi
14th July 2009, 06:51 PM
Ah Mate, why check the dates out????

Anyway, on that, you got any bigger pics or other toys now?

weisyboy
14th July 2009, 06:57 PM
yer lets see some pics

charlsie
17th July 2009, 05:10 PM
no unfortunately no more toys to spriuk about. one thing i'm a bit happy about if you could say that. I did a water pump and head gasket in the fork lift (holden grey motor) thought it'd be murder replacing the parts. 2 hours it took to get parts and fit the water pump. rare spares which is 20 mins down the road had everything on the shelf. so how happy do you think i was:2tsup: i have got a machine in the shed that i want to get rid of though (its not mine) 4 sided thicknesser it will machine 830mm wide and 150mm sides so if anyone knows anybody who wants it yell out

weisyboy
17th July 2009, 05:29 PM
i may be interested.

pm sent

Stef
17th July 2009, 11:15 PM
Very nice setup, I to would be keen to see a some bigger pics. More of the truck crane setup...........now you have me thinking.:2tsup:

charlsie
18th July 2009, 11:12 PM
carl got your pm if your'e half keen i'll post a pic of it, but it's a pig of a machine and big and heavy but will chew through anything (i guess):o