PDA

View Full Version : Cheap options for raising floor 50mm

TonyD
10th January 2008, 08:38 PM
Hi

I have an enclosed verandah that floods occasionally. I want to raise the floor to prevent flooding and finish it as a laundry/utility room. The floor is concrete slab. What are my options for doing this? The area would be about 20m2 total.

It is currently enclosed, but I'm going to rip out the walls, raise the floor, reframe and clad internally and externally.

I live about an hour out of Brisbane so was figuring getting a cement truck here would not be worth the small amount (by my calcs 20 x .05 = 1m3). Is it possible to do this manually by mixer? I'm thinking that's probably too much to do quickly. Any alternatives?

Thanks,
Tony

Burnsy
10th January 2008, 08:42 PM
You could mix a cube in a mixer easy enough.

If you are going to tile it eventually (laundry area) you could always lay the tiles on a thick morter bed instead of laying it with adheasive. That way you just mix as you tile, they do it this way in Bali.

TonyD
10th January 2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks Burnsy

Hadnt thought of tiling. Its a rural area so its a bit more relaxed, and I figured a painted concrete area might be OK.

At least with tiling I wouldnt have to stress over the finish so much, as long as the tiles are level and even.

Time to ponder...

Burnsy
10th January 2008, 08:52 PM
Putting some coloured oxide into the concrete then troweling it real smooth and hard looks great with a sealer over it. Saves on tiles if you are confident that you can get it level and finished well.

dazzler
10th January 2008, 11:45 PM
What about a timber floor on 32mm battens:?

echnidna
11th January 2008, 06:27 PM
or just put pavers over thetop of it.

TonyD
11th January 2008, 08:31 PM
Dazzler, my concern would be that the battens would be sitting in water. As it is the stud frame that is currently there is showing signs of water damage. Is this enough to automatically rule out the timber base?

Echidna, I am seriously looking into pavers or tiles on a cement bed to give me the height. Any suggestions to keep costs down?

Thanks for your input folks. I appreciate it.

echnidna
11th January 2008, 08:45 PM
I'd just glue 50mm thick pavers down with tile adhesive and grout between the tiles.
Theres often secondhand pavers avaialble on ebay

Burnsy
11th January 2008, 08:49 PM
Tiles on a mortor bed will give you more control over the final level and getting water to go where you want if it is a wet area - you could even put in a floor waste with 40mm pipe. 50mm pavers glued down will just mimic what is there already and will also look pretty rough. Many tile shops and ebayers (who have over ordered) have tile lots available cheap as they are the end of a batch. You should be able to find 20 square metres worth of tiles for less than $20 a metre.

TonyD
11th January 2008, 09:01 PM
How would I prepare the existing concrete slab surface if I were putting a thick mortar mix and tiles down.

I also have to build the frame on top the mortar so are there any suggestions for strength?

Thanks again.
Tony