PDA

View Full Version : Help with australian burls?

NewLondon88
11th January 2008, 05:26 AM
Here's a few pics of one of the burls I picked up, but haven't identified.
This one said "AM" on it, and the sign said the sale was on various pieces of burls from Australia. I know at least one kind of mallee was on the list, but the pieces weren't well identified.

I put one on the bandsaw and turned a couple of them. This one has a distinctive aroma, yet somehow familiar. I can't put my finger on it .. reminded me of the smell of Band-Aids at one point, but that's not it, either.

Just wondering if anyone recognizes it.

ciscokid
11th January 2008, 06:24 AM
OMG! :oo: That's nice. :)

Matt88s
11th January 2008, 06:25 AM
Australian Myrtle??

Sebastiaan56
11th January 2008, 06:31 AM
Looks like a Red Mallee burl to me,

NewLondon88
11th January 2008, 07:10 AM
OMG! :oo: That's nice. :)

Oh, yeah.. the hard part is leaving it alone.

I put some linseed oil on one of them, and the shimmering effect form the oil penetration is amazing. I want to put it together and put it in my pocket RIGHT THIS MINUTE! :no:

NewLondon88
11th January 2008, 07:13 AM
Looks like a Red Mallee burl to me,

So . .might be myrtle or mallee .. I'd hate to send it out in a pen swap and get it wrong. Either way, these are test runs with inexpensive kits.

The initials are throwing me. Australian Myrtle would cover the "AM" written on the side, but more than one person has said Mallee ..

Matt88s
11th January 2008, 07:46 AM
Australian Mallee??

Can you ask them at the store?

Simomatra
11th January 2008, 08:46 AM
Looks a bit like the red mallee that I have not sure though

artme
11th January 2008, 08:48 AM
To me that's the wrong grain pattern for Mallee. It looks much more like Myrtle.

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm going to go against what everyone has said and suggest that in may be Amboyna Burl, the closeup in the last picture suggests that it may be a rainforest timber.

Quite possible that the store or a customer has got their stock mixed up.

mick61
11th January 2008, 09:56 AM
:iagree:
Mick:D

NewLondon88
11th January 2008, 10:08 AM
Australian Mallee??

Can you ask them at the store?

I could, but it's a 200 mile round trip ...:o

NewLondon88
11th January 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm going to go against what everyone has said and suggest that in may be Amboyna Burl, the closeup in the last picture suggests that it may be a rainforest timber.

Quite possible that the store or a customer has got their stock mixed up.

Ahh.. I do think that 'amboyna' might have been one of the other names on the sign. You could well be right. (the signs was handmade, not much info)

Jiminidaho
11th January 2008, 01:11 PM
I just cut up a bunch of Afzelia burl the other day and I would swear that is what you have. It looks like you came over and kiped a stick or two of what I cut!!!!:rolleyes:

But I would also admit it looks abit like some Amboynia I cut up too... hmmm.

In any case GREAT LOOK'n stuff.:)

J

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 01:16 PM
I could, but it's a 200 mile round trip ...:o

Why not just ring them and ask what the abbreviations sound for :shrug:

Simomatra
11th January 2008, 02:11 PM
Had another look at my red mallee and its definitely not it

NewLondon88
12th January 2008, 12:26 AM
I just cut up a bunch of Afzelia burl the other day and I would swear that is what you have. It looks like you came over and kiped a stick or two of what I cut!!!!:rolleyes:
J

You can't prove a thing.:D

I looked up afzelia burl in Google images, and damn! That's it!
Where does that stuff come from? Gorgeous grain. Might be making that 200 mile round trip again right away.. I only have enough for 6 pens. Of cours,e I only know 5 people .. but that's not the point..

Toolcrazy
12th January 2008, 04:34 AM
It looks just like a piece of two tone Amboyna burl that I have a few of. And the American Fountain Pen that I turned. So I agree that it's Amboyna.

Evan Pavlidis
12th January 2008, 05:44 AM
You picked up a rare piece of two tone amboyna; what a gem:2tsup:
It is not red mallee;red mallee burl is a darker red, the sap is a light yellow and myrtle burl is a light pinkish red.
Good score, well done.

NewLondon88
12th January 2008, 09:21 AM
Maybe I'll just make up a multiple choice card that has all of them listed and 'forget' to check it off... :rolleyes:

fxst
12th January 2008, 10:38 AM
I cut a couple pieces amboyna yesterday and smells sorta like bandaids and looks sorta like your stuff. I Have heaps of mallee burl (firewood) red, brown, and tan but none of it looks like that. Mytle I can't comment on I don't have any :D
Pete

NewLondon88
12th January 2008, 10:54 AM
I cut a couple pieces amboyna yesterday and smells sorta like bandaids and looks sorta like your stuff.
Pete

(emphasis is mine)

I think that pretty much seals it then. Amboyna burl. (although when I looked up the afzelia (sp) that looked just like it, too.. more than the pics I found of amboyna.) But I'll be looking for more of WHATEVER it is .. :D
I wasted one piece already .. I should really really really get around to separating and labelling my bushings..

And I guess the other piece might be mallee, but I'll wait till I cut into it and
post a pic of the inside. You guys would know better, since I see people talking about it often.. It's a nice color .. sort of like butterscotch with gentle coffee and cream swirls in it.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Simomatra
12th January 2008, 01:20 PM
I cut a couple pieces amboyna yesterday and smells sorta like bandaids and looks sorta like your stuff. I Have heaps of mallee burl (firewood) red, brown, and tan but none of it looks like that. Mytle I can't comment on I don't have any :D
Pete

Pete you can send all your firewood up here :):)

fxst
12th January 2008, 07:59 PM
It's a nice color .. sort of like butterscotch with gentle coffee and cream swirls in it.
=================
NL88 thats mallee burl alright :D

Sam If I did that it would be mighty cold down here come winter time. :UOther prob I have with it is it makes the bandsaw work really hard.
Pete

Simomatra
12th January 2008, 09:28 PM
Sam If I did that it would be mighty cold down here come winter time. :UOther prob I have with it is it makes the bandsaw work really hard.
Pete

Could send plenty of what we use for firewood

fxst
12th January 2008, 10:25 PM
kindling don't burn long enough :D

NewLondon88
13th January 2008, 11:11 AM
It's a nice color .. sort of like butterscotch with gentle coffee and cream swirls in it.
=================
NL88 thats mallee burl alright :D

Does that normally smell like acetic acid when you turn or cut it?
strong vinegar-like smell when it was worked.. made me worry about
it eating the chisels while I slept ..