PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather Melbourne

Tiger
11th January 2008, 07:13 AM
We've just sweltered through another hot sleepless night in Melbourne. The weather report on Channel 9 stated that we usually get 1 or 2 days over 40 a summer but this summer we've had 4 already and another one today. I would like to check out historical data ie daily maximums for a particular year to see how they compare with the current year. Have tried numerous sites including Bureau of Meteorology with no success. Surely it can't be that difficult to find historical data during a particular year? Anyone know of site/link?

Gooner
11th January 2008, 09:35 AM
We've just sweltered through another hot sleepless night in Melbourne.

Two words..... "ceiling fan".

Never had one above my bed until recently and I have discovered it makes a 32 degree night easy to sleep through. Best thing since siced bread for stinking hot nights.

RETIRED
11th January 2008, 10:07 AM
Two words..... "ceiling fan".

Never had one above my bed until recently and I have discovered it makes a 32 degree night easy to sleep through. Best thing since siced bread for stinking hot nights.Yessum:D

DavidG
11th January 2008, 10:15 AM
Two words .... Air Con.

Gra
11th January 2008, 10:15 AM
Two words.....

air con :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: ahhh didnt get about 23 in my house last night... (dont want to see the power bill:oo:)

Wood Borer
11th January 2008, 10:58 AM
Gee, it makes me want to move back:p:p:p

The cool mountain breezes every night forces you to wear a shirt rather than just a singlet otherwise you get goose bumps:cool:

No power used to open the doors every night however leaving the doors open makes it so cold that you need to pull the blanket on at about 4:30 AM.

Heard on the radio it was 30C in Melbourne at 6:30 this morning, checked our outside thermometer and it was 23C and slowly rising.:p:p:p

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 11:13 AM
Gee, it makes me want to move back:p:p:p

The cool mountain breezes every night forces you to wear a shirt rather than just a singlet otherwise you get goose bumps:cool:

No power used to open the doors every night however leaving the doors open makes it so cold that you need to pull the blanket on at about 4:30 AM.

Heard on the radio it was 30C in Melbourne at 6:30 this morning, checked our outside thermometer and it was 23C and slowly rising.:p:p:p

Same here too Rob :2tsup:, open the windows and slept with a doona as it was too cold without it :U

Wood Borer
11th January 2008, 11:19 AM
Same here too Rob :2tsup:, open the windows and slept with a doona as it was too cold without it :U

I was half thinking of cutting up some firewood today in order to keep warm tonight however as it is a Total Fire Ban today I might leave the chainsaw in the shed.

Heating up here now - 26C - hottest it has been since yesterday afternoon - how will we cope?:roll:

AlexS
11th January 2008, 12:03 PM
We've just sweltered through another hot sleepless night in Melbourne. The weather report on Channel 9 stated that we usually get 1 or 2 days over 40 a summer but this summer we've had 4 already and another one today. I would like to check out historical data ie daily maximums for a particular year to see how they compare with the current year. Have tried numerous sites including Bureau of Meteorology with no success. Surely it can't be that difficult to find historical data during a particular year? Anyone know of site/link?

You need to contact the bureau - only summary data is available on their website, but they do have the original data if you want to analyse it yourself. You may have to pay for it. I think the data for melbourne is available from 1885 to date.

RETIRED
11th January 2008, 12:56 PM
I was half thinking of cutting up some firewood today in order to keep warm tonight however as it is a Total Fire Ban today I might leave the chainsaw in the shed.

Heating up here now - 26C - hottest it has been since yesterday afternoon - how will we cope?:roll:You'd better cut some Rob. It will be snowing there tomorrow.:wink::D

Tiger
11th January 2008, 01:55 PM
Air con can't be counted on. There were many talkback listeners who said they have been without power for 14 hours, think we need a darkside solution, maybe trees?

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 02:18 PM
Should be starting to cool down there now, that cool change is coming through now, got heavy rain here now and the temp must have dropped at least 10degs

Tiger
11th January 2008, 02:45 PM
Has cooled down now, change came through about 2 hours ago, no rain though, actually what is rain, forgotten what it looks like.

Wood Borer
11th January 2008, 11:33 PM
The rain was rather patchy up here. We got 5.5mm but others got less and some got 20mm and we are all within a few Kms.

Hafgan
11th January 2008, 11:48 PM
I realise we are a little out in the sticks, but we managed 45.7 NY eve in the midst of 5 days over 40. I now consider 35 to be balmy!
42 yesterday, may not have reached 40 today. Up here, it is usually dry heat so evaporative A/C and fans work well. Down in the 'burbs, don't know how they would go...
BTW - heard on the radio a report from 1788 with the first fleet - 12 days in a row at Sydney over 45! Now THAT is serious heat!

Got to get back in my ice bath now to cool my fevered brow down....:U