PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Thursday Island c1958

bitingmidge
11th January 2008, 10:10 AM
I've been slowly scanning my Dad's photos from the fifties, and have just uploaded a batch to my flickr site, taken between '57 and '60 on TI and in the Torres Strait.

I've got about 600 to go, so don't expect them to be finished this year!

Here's a pic of my Mum (holding my baby brother) and my sister and I (that's us standing) in the back of a Gummint Truck in Bamaga in FNQ.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/2179738450_bf56bf0b11.jpg?v=0

OK, it was 1958, but note the government graphic artist of the day cunningly designed a simple logo that could just be stencilled on.

Note that the tipper becomes a bus, just by adding planks for seats, spanning the sides too.

The tin trunk was my oldie's. They were off to bung on a puppet show for the kids at the Bamaga Show. If you want to see it bigger or a few hundred others like it, go to my Flickr TI Pages (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bitingmidge/collections/72157603668260915/).

I really didn't know what to do with them, but I figured by exposing them on the web, someone may find them useful.

Cheers,

P
:D:D

Andy Mac
11th January 2008, 10:32 AM
Hi BM,
great photo, and looks in good condition too. Is that you at the back, looking around for the next opportunity?!:wink:
At least you have photos, which are easier to scan than slides. I've got a couple of small cases of my Dad's, about the same vintage, but of rural NZ mostly, and unsure what to do with them either. Maybe some archive over there, like the John Oxley Library in Qld for old photos and such?
Thanks for posting.

Cheers

bitingmidge
11th January 2008, 10:44 AM
Andy,

These are all slides!

They are a bit of a pain to scan even though I've got a gadget, in the lid of the scanner. I haven't adjusted them at all, and I gave up cleaning the slides too. I figure if anyone sees a shot they really need, we'll do that one properly.

Even though it's a bit (lot) of work, I'd encourage you to do the same with your old man's pics. Somewhere, someone might just find them useful!

cheers,

P