PDA

View Full Version : Challenger 800 Wood Lathe

AJTP
11th January 2008, 11:20 AM
This is my first time so be gentle with me

I have inherited a Challenger 800 wood lathe from my father in law. It is approx. 40 years old.

The literature I have states that has an "infinitely variable" speed drive (800-2200 rpm).
This was achieved by turning a handle at the front of the lathe which moved the motor to/from the main drive pulley which spread/contracted changing the speed.

I do not have any of the original device that moved the motor other than the handle.

I would like to get the lathe working as it is still in very good condition (I recently puchased a new .5Kw electric motor.

Can anyone help me with :
a. drawings of the variable speed system
b. advice on how i can build the speed system
c. or the type of multiple pulley i should buy to enable me to move the drive belt and therefore change the speed.

Any and all advice would be gratefully received

AJTP

Calm
11th January 2008, 01:09 PM
I suggest you look at www.cws.au.com (http://www.cws.au.com) for the viarable speed motor available. That way you dial up the speed you want instead of having fixed steped speeds. The mods may be able to add the correct web page for me.

Good luck

woodwork wally
17th January 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi I think you may find that the speed change system is very similar to the mc 1100 /900 series of lathes sold under various names .. Haire and Forbes sell spares as I think Woodworking Machinery Sales . Both main shaft and motor on my mc1100 have the spreading pulleys to give you the large speed variation Trust this is of some help and good luck with your project Wally

woodwork wally
17th January 2008, 08:20 PM
Sorry mate I forgot to say that an exploded parts list is on the haire and forbes sight and they are good folks to deal with regards again wally

Woodlee
17th January 2008, 09:30 PM
This is my first time so be gentle with me

I have inherited a Challenger 800 wood lathe from my father in law. It is approx. 40 years old.

The literature I have states that has an "infinitely variable" speed drive (800-2200 rpm).
This was achieved by turning a handle at the front of the lathe which moved the motor to/from the main drive pulley which spread/contracted changing the speed.

I do not have any of the original device that moved the motor other than the handle.

I would like to get the lathe working as it is still in very good condition (I recently puchased a new .5Kw electric motor.

Can anyone help me with :
a. drawings of the variable speed system
b. advice on how i can build the speed system
c. or the type of multiple pulley i should buy to enable me to move the drive belt and therefore change the speed.

Any and all advice would be gratefully received

AJTP

It's a mechanical variable speed as opposed to an electrical one.
I have seen these set ups on conveyor drives for varying the speed .
It basically consists of two adjustable pulleys and a belt that runs between .
As you wind the adjuster one pulley contracts and the other opens up,the belt moves up and down between the faces of each pulley .As the belt moves down inside one pulley the diameter gets smaller and it gets bigger on the other. It is a true infintely adjustable drive, achived by using variable pitch pulleys

http://machinedesign.com/BasicsOfDesignEngineeringItem/718/66124/VariablePitchDrives.aspx

Unless you can get parts from another lathe ,or a drawing you may have to find an industrial supplier for a similar drive to replace it.

Kev.