PDA

View Full Version : What "box" do I need??

watson
11th January 2008, 02:08 PM
G'day,
I have two way satellite broadband. It came complete with a modem and one output which connects to my computer (an eMac).
I want to add another computer to the modem output, without slowing the net access down to either computer.
What do I need???

Both computers will be in the same room, so cabling is not a problem.

I should have kept up-to-date with what's available..but I didn't.:B
TIA for any advice.

manoftalent
11th January 2008, 03:05 PM
I hooked up a wireless router, my wifes pc is five metres away....you can multi network, but it requires network cards I think, and may be more expencive ....

Gra
11th January 2008, 03:07 PM
you need a router... I suggest you buy a woreless one, that way when you get a puter with wireless access you can already use it, but in the mean time most will have about 4 cable out plugs

bitingmidge
11th January 2008, 03:30 PM
The mac comes with wireless built in. Is the other machine a mac?

If so turn on Airport, and stand back! :D The machine can be easily configured to act as a router or "base station".

If not, get a wireless card for it. The cheapest way of doing that is probably to get a wireless router, and set the other machine up as the base station, the mac will receive, no problems.

Cheers,

P
:D

Barry_White
11th January 2008, 03:31 PM
Noel

How does the Satellite modem connect. Is it a USB connection or with a Cat 5 Crossover lead into the network card.

If it connects with a USB lead all you need is a crossover lead which are usually Yellow or Red from each computer via the network cards or ports.

If it connects via a crossover lead to the network card you will need either a hard wired network hub or a wireless router and then you will need a blue patch cable from the satellite modem to the hub or router and patch cables to the two computers from the hub or the router.

Telstra Satellite modems connect via USB and Ipstar use a crossover cable.

watson
11th January 2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks Biting Midge.
I'll read up on airport..the other machine will also be a Maac.
TA

watson
11th January 2008, 04:54 PM
G'day Bazza,
I Reckon its an Ethernet cable...sort of like a larger version of the R12 phone cable.
Just plugs into the side of the Emac.
Should have kept up to date :doh:

bitingmidge
11th January 2008, 05:04 PM
Noel,

The ethernet connection means you'll either have to get an ethernet hub/router or connect via Airport, as you've only got one ethernet plug on the machine.

What models are they? If they are less than about four years old, airport will all most certainly installed, if older you may need a card, in which case you may find it cheaper to buy a wireless router with some USB cards than apple ones, if cheap is what you are after!

I have wireless networked my home machines for probably ten years, with a dial up connection originally, and the ethernet DSL modem for the last five at least. You don't need a base station (although that does make security easier), as you can use the machine connected to the web as the server.

Cheers,

P

les88
11th January 2008, 05:09 PM
I have a Netgear wireless hub two desktops are connected with cat5 two laptops by wireless the wireless ones are very much slower.
les

watson
11th January 2008, 05:13 PM
Looks like I'm not fitted with an airport card....so it looks like an ethernet hub/router
Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: eMac
Machine Model: PowerMac4,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 700 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.2f1
Serial Number: YM2480QWN54

malb
11th January 2008, 06:48 PM
I would go with a router, cabled/wireless to suit your needs.

Trying to 'share' the connection involves the first computer in the chain being on all of the time that the second computer needs access. With a router, the router remains on and consumes about 10W maximum, and either computer can access it at any time.

A basic 4 port wired router would be adequate, plus cables. If as suggested the cable from the sat unit to current computer is a 'crossover' cable, you will need three standard Cat5/Cat5e cables with suitable lengths. Standard cable lengths are generally 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50m.

Cables are Sat unit to router input, plus router out to each computer.

If the sat capacity is near being fully utilised with one computer, connecting a second will slow both as the the satlink will be a choke point.

watson
11th January 2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks Malb & all you other blokes.
Looks like a router purchase is the way I'll have to go.
Thanks for your input.

bsrlee
15th January 2008, 02:17 AM
Going 'wired' also means someone can't just pull up out the front & hack into your connection with their laptop - at least if you don't want to get into wireless security.

I also found out that Ethernet seems to be better for this than USB - seems USB divides the available bandwidth between all connected devices, regardless of wether they are using it or not, while with Ethernet everyone gets the same 10/100/1000 depending on the interface in their computer.

amybajwa
19th January 2008, 08:41 AM
I have some experience here; the satellite broadband modems need a login software running on the PC/MAC's to authenticate, check signal strength and track the satellites. What I would do is to run this on one PC and share the internet through that PC/Mac.

I had it one of my offices and we had a server that connected to satellite and shared that connection with the other users.

I hope this helps...