PDA

View Full Version : Strike three!!!

TTIT
11th January 2008, 06:14 PM
Turned this 'urn' from green Sandalwood last winter purely as a hollowing exercise to test out my Proforme when I got it. Stuck it on the shelf to dry (for 8 months) and as it didn't crack or lose it's bark, I thought maybe it's worth finishing. 1st surprise was how true it still was - barely 1mm out of shape. Next was the colour - started out white and dried that way until the surface was removed to show a little banding and colour.
Problem was the rest of the log had dried a ginger colour so I couldn't colour match the lid - was so different I didn't even finish turning it :~. Then tried a bark edge to break the colour change - that looked like cr@p too :C. Finally tried some Emu Apple to emulate something I saw in the National gallery at xmas (we like culcha out here in the bush too ya' know!). Don't think it worked right either :shrug: Running out of ideas.
Comments or suggestions for possible alternatives welcome (though I'm just about ready to assign it to the scrap bin!

Wood Butcher
11th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Even with the colour difference I prefer the second lid. The bark edge ties in well with the body.

lubbing5cherubs
11th January 2008, 06:44 PM
wow gorgeous Vern I love the third one
Toni

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 06:44 PM
What WB said

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th January 2008, 07:09 PM
An alternative approach would be to make a dished lid, so it doesn't protrude out the top and isn't as visually distracting. If there's not enough room for a rebate to seat it in, I'd go with the bark edge.

Hmmm... I don't s'pose you have any wood that's a close match (or can be stained) to the colour of the Sandalwood bark?

R.B.
11th January 2008, 07:49 PM
the bark edge is the go of the three imo.. but I think I prefer it lidless, maybe a small contrasting lip?

ss_11000
11th January 2008, 07:56 PM
i like the bark edge ...pic 3.
:)

BernieP
11th January 2008, 08:20 PM
G'Day TTIT

No contest #3 as is.

Cheers
Bernie

DavidG
11th January 2008, 08:24 PM
Bark edge #3 :2tsup:

Kea5
11th January 2008, 08:40 PM
Personal preference would be the Bark edged one, but they all have something going for them.

It's a nice piece of work whichever you go with.

wheelinround
11th January 2008, 09:19 PM
TTIT How about a photo of the mouth

my preference is no lid but agree with Skew a hidden lid may look good with a small pull knob

powderpost
11th January 2008, 09:36 PM
Vern, I agree with No.3, lid with bark edge.
Jim

Manuka Jock
11th January 2008, 10:37 PM
The first one .
No lid ,
a simple open container . You cannot improve on that beauty .

Little Festo
11th January 2008, 10:50 PM
Vern,

Reckon the third one, with the bark. The bark adds a nice touch.

Peter

Cliff Rogers
11th January 2008, 11:10 PM
Paint the 2nd one silver. :2tsup:

TTIT
12th January 2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone - always appreciated :2tsup:
An alternative approach would be to make a dished lid, so it doesn't protrude out the top and isn't as visually distracting. If there's not enough room for a rebate to seat it in, I'd go with the bark edge.

Hmmm... I don't s'pose you have any wood that's a close match (or can be stained) to the colour of the Sandalwood bark?Hadn't thought about that :B - could work! Just enough room for a shallow rebate too.... but no means of holding the form to cut it now :shrug: Food for thought though!

The first one .
No lid ,
a simple open container . You cannot improve on that beauty .
The opening is just big enough to fit my mitt in so I thought by closing it in I would complete the containment theme - - I also left the lip flat and square so it ain't so pretty :B

Paint the 2nd one silver. :2tsup::oDunno what to make of that idea Cliff except that a low profile silver lid could be just what it needs - - hmmmm - - off to the kitchen-ware to see what I can find.

Evan Pavlidis
12th January 2008, 05:25 AM
I like the contrast :2tsup: The second lidded profile is spot on; the first one has a stubby knob on the wafer thin lid. The third one looks heavy.
You could also leave it unlidded as in pic 1.
Just my observations.

Evan

Ad de Crom
12th January 2008, 06:59 AM
Vern, my favorite is the second.
Very nice wood and the bark shows really well.
Good let it standing so long on the shelf.
Great job :2tsup:

Cheers Ad

artme
12th January 2008, 07:43 AM
I prefer it without a lid!:p:p makes a neat little vase.
If you must have a lid don't, for Pete's Sake' go with tha obtrusive Fez.:no:

Cliff Rogers
12th January 2008, 09:51 AM
...:oDunno what to make of that idea Cliff except that a low profile silver lid could be just what it needs - - hmmmm - - off to the kitchen-ware to see what I can find.
That is what I had in mind. :2tsup:

rsser
12th January 2008, 01:30 PM
So how many Minties will it hold? That's the critical design decision surely ;-}

How do you find the Proforme Vern?

RufflyRustic
12th January 2008, 01:42 PM
I'd be inclined to fill it with M&Ms :D Yum!!! But I reckon the Bark - edged lid would be the best!

Verrrrry nice work TTIT!

cheers
Wendy

TTIT
12th January 2008, 05:00 PM
So how many Minties will it hold? That's the critical design decision surely ;-}

How do you find the Proforme Vern?I don't have enough of anything to fill it except dog biscuits :C but I'm guessin' a couple of hundred Minties at least.
Love the Proforme Ern. Like all hollowers, it struggles on cross-grain simply because you can't change the cutting depth twice for each revolution. BUT on the end grain, for which it was designed, it's a dream come true. I haven't used a Munroe but I really don't think it would come up to the same level. I've done a fair bit of hollowing since I got it and still haven't had to sharpen it yet - even though the Emu-apple I worked the other night was pretty high in silica so I should give it a touch up. Hughie tell's me a quick rub with a diamond hone is all it takes. You just gotta try it for yourself really, preferably on something real wet just to make a huge mess real quick :U

I'd be inclined to fill it with M&Ms :D Yum!!! But I reckon the Bark - edged lid would be the best!

Verrrrry nice work TTIT!

cheers
WendyThanks Wendy - they'll have to be peanut M&M's - gotta get some protein somewhere :;

rsser
12th January 2008, 07:44 PM
I do use one Vern; prefer it to the Munro.

Sawdust Maker
12th January 2008, 09:25 PM
Lidless is aesthetically pleasing
but if you need a lid to keep the dust out I'd prefer the silver

mick61
12th January 2008, 09:37 PM
G`day Vern why don`t you turn a base out of the EMU APPLE with oggie type shape. It just might work. How tall is the urn?
Mick:D

TTIT
12th January 2008, 11:12 PM
G`day Vern why don`t you turn a base out of the EMU APPLE with oggie type shape. It just might work. How tall is the urn?
Mick:DIt's about 200mm high Mick and a base just might give it the 'balance' that has so far eluded me - ah well - off to the lathe again in the morning :;

ravlord13
13th January 2008, 08:27 AM
G'day TTIT,
If The color is true to the pics I would try a piece of Huon Pine.
Looks good though.

Pops
13th January 2008, 09:06 AM
Hi TTIT,

Yep it is No. 3 for me, followed by No. 1 a close second.

Else what Skew said about a dished lid perhaps.

Cheers
Pops

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 09:30 AM
Go picture #3 Vern

robynmau
16th January 2008, 08:20 AM
Hey there

I know I'm going against the trend but I like the 4th option, I think the higher lid makes the urn look more elegant:wink:

cheers

Robyn