PDA

View Full Version : Moving Heavy Machinery

Doc Carver
12th January 2008, 04:10 PM
I am in the process of moving house and had to move all my machines. The carriers don’t want to know about them, which is fair enough and “the children” were nowhere to be seen. To complicate things more we are moving from a house up a steep driveway. The thicknesser weighing in at 350kg was the big worry. The solution to problem was I hired an engine hoist and lifted the machines on to a trailer. Fortunately, I am not moving far so it was able to move the machines one at a time to the new house. I took the engine hoist with me and used it to unload. I noticed after doing this that Super Cheap has an engine hoist on special at the moment for $199.00. It cost me $159.00 to hire.

Regards

manoftalent
12th January 2008, 11:37 PM
:~

rodm
13th January 2008, 01:52 AM
Another handy piece of gear is those hydraulic platforms. Mine lifts to 1.2m and I move mills, drills and lathes on an off stands and in to the back of utes.

Engine Cranes are good but one problem with them is height especially in carports. Also be careful with engine cranes as the lifting weight is reduced considerably if you extend the boom.

Ivan in Oz
13th January 2008, 07:24 AM
I noticed after doing this that Super Cheap has an engine hoist on special at the moment for $199.00. It cost me $159.00 to hire.

Regards

Don't you HATE it when you purchase something on "Special"
then see the same thing 'Everywhere' cheaper than you paid:doh::~

Especially when you have done previous Price checks:no:

malb
13th January 2008, 04:32 PM
Shifted metalwork factories with engine cranes a couple of times, bought a 2 ton capacity one of H&F, did a great job of loading lathes, drills, brobo saws, 12 x 4 x 4 metal workbenches, you name it, it loaded/unloaded it. Easy to fold/dismantle and pack onto the trailer with the loaded goods, then reassemble to unload.

Now have an old 1.5t battery fork in the barn for moving stuff around. Bought it as will be setting up full length storage mezzanines down both sides of the barn, so the only things on the floor will be work in progress and cars, plus fixed machines in the metal and woodwork shops.

Fork is currently stuck inside as we don't have the entry aprons and side paving completed, but it earns it keep pulling car engines, working as a mule, and as a good elevating platform for ride on mower, hand mower and rotary hoe maintenance. Once it can get outside, will use it plus a cage for cleaning gutters on the barn. (4.9 m high sidewalls)

Can now get engine cranes with air/hydraulic system to eliminate the 30+ pump movements required to raise the hand pump unit, but pushing a control lever on the fork is even easier.

MajorPanic
14th January 2008, 08:29 PM
Hector The Erector
Safes & Airconditioners Positioned & Removed! 100 - 10000 kg
5 Hardwick St Wynnum West QLD 4178
ph: (07) 3893 0939

I've used them for years & so do Aust Post for moving safes etc..

He moved a panel saw, 12" jointer, thicknesser, DC unit, Big Boy sander & some other stuff for me when we moved house a few years ago. Well worth it!! :2tsup: