PDA

View Full Version : Wizz Bang Lathe Idea

funkychicken
12th January 2008, 10:03 PM
Hrm...

I'm getting a new lathe (courtesy of Robyn, thanks mate:2tsup:). See, it's a midi lathe (Jwl-1220) and doesn't have outboard. So I was thinking... I'd need another lathe if I was to turn bigger that 12" swing...Then I thought; No I wouldn't - well not a whole lathe.

So my idea is to make an outboard lathe, ie: A lathe that faces the turner and has no bed.

Need drawings?

ss_11000
12th January 2008, 10:20 PM
W.I.P is in order i think.

joe greiner
12th January 2008, 10:39 PM
Piece o' cake. For smaller swing and simpler construction, leave the axle attached to the truck and put the whole works up on blocks.
http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/The_Big_Bowl.html

Properly ballasted and tied down, a garden tractor would also work.

Joe

powderpost
12th January 2008, 10:51 PM
Some lathe lathe manufacturers will sell you a headstock on it's own. You only need to arrange a bed and tool rest to suit.
Jim

funkychicken
12th January 2008, 10:54 PM
W.I.P is in order i think.

Agreed!

Hmm... I could make the Headstock outta hardwood,, or get Papa Bear to Make a steel frame.
I'm thinking two plates, 'bout 1/4" thick with a hole bored in each for the spindle. Kinda like a Gmc but monkeyloads more stable.

|
|_=________=_|

Like my technical drawings:D

Some lathe lathe manufacturers will sell you a headstock on it's own. You only need to arrange a bed and tool rest to suit.

Uhh the whole point is that it doesn't have a bed

TTIT
12th January 2008, 11:33 PM
Anyone else remember the guy from Turkey that joined the forum and was doing big bowls on a very simply made setup. I can't find the thread but all you need is a length of shaft with your preferred thread on one end and a pulley fitted to the other. Add a couple of bearings in pillow blocks, a mobile toolrest and a gutsy motor and you're in business. From memory, the Turk had the bearings bolted to a hefty wooden frame but I can't remember how he varied the speed, if he bothered to - t'was some nice work he was doing too.

Caveman
13th January 2008, 04:44 PM
G'day - theres this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=468809&postcount=18) one too. Looks robust enough to handle most things.

Cliff Rogers
13th January 2008, 06:17 PM
This is my 'big' lathe (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=223456&postcount=5).

funkychicken
13th January 2008, 07:30 PM
This is my 'big' lathe (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=223456&postcount=5).

See Cliff, that's called overkill

I have an Idea for changing speeds (can't afford EVS) : Have a vice like mechanism under the motor and pulley so when I turn the screw, the motor and bits rise up - taking tension off the belt and allowing you to move it.

And do you think a 2hp motor would be powerful enough:D

Funky C

Chipman
18th April 2008, 10:58 PM
Hrm...

I'm getting a new lathe (courtesy of Robyn, thanks mate:2tsup:). See, it's a midi lathe (Jwl-1220) and doesn't have outboard. So I was thinking... I'd need another lathe if I was to turn bigger that 12" swing...Then I thought; No I wouldn't - well not a whole lathe.

So my idea is to make an outboard lathe, ie: A lathe that faces the turner and has no bed.

Need drawings?

I saw something in an English woodturning magazine that you might like to think about. A guy wanted to do outboard turning so he bought a midi lathe and hacksawed most of the lathe bed off! Seems a bit drastic but he got what he wanted only problem is that the swing is still the same as on the original lathe although he could still use the origninal banjo and tool rest

My father-in-law turned up a shaft and fitted tappered roller bearings from a holden front stub axles for me. I havent finished putting it together yet.

Hope you work something out!:2tsup:

Chipman

oldiephred
19th April 2008, 09:26 AM
I saw one that was made from a manual transmission from a small car driven by a 3hp motor. The output shaft was fitted with an adaptor to allow the use of a faceplate and the tool rest was a mixture of parts that was supported from the base holding the trans. and motor. The speed was changed by shifting gears and he even had reverse.
He reckoned the whole thing only cost him about 130% more than a proper one by the time he was done and it's safety was quite suspect.:doh:

hughie
19th April 2008, 11:31 AM
Basically its very easy to build one as you will not have a tailstock or a bed. Have a look around at some of the more innovative designs and go from there.

As I see it, all you need is some sort of pedestal. ie RHS say 150mm sq with a 6-8mm wall thickness. A hefty base to bolt it to the floor,Headstock would be standard bearing housings ie FC205 [sq type 4 hole] this will allow you a 30mm shaft, which is plenty as far as bearing size goes.

The headstock shaft will not need a hole through it etc, just a plain shaft with a screw thread to match your favourite chuck size. You most likely will have to reduce the other end to carry your stepped pulley set up.

Motor and base etc. Make the base a swing arm set up this will allow ease of belt change and you can always add springs or wieghts to the arm if you lose drive. Size? Well thats up to you, probably 1-2hp or so.

Tool post can be another column/post etc bolted to the floor at what ever you determine is the most appropiate distance. Probably 100m RHS and around 6mm wall thickness. Mount the Banjo on this, make the Banjo from flat bar mounted on edge. Atleast 50mm x 12mm, I would probably go for some over kill here as its potentially the most flexible part ie 65mm+ x 16mm+

Bollinger oval lathe
http://www.claycritters.com/lathe/

VB36
http://www.craftusa.com/catalog/vb36.html

funkychicken
19th April 2008, 12:19 PM
I've been offered the headstock of an Mc900 by Rowan so I might grab that off him (after I pay off the shed:roll:)

And once I have the shed I'll have plenty of space and concrete floor to bolt the mega lathe onto.

I've changed my mind about EVS, I'll probably have that and a few pulleys. Like a vicmarc setup.

I might have to enlist the help of my engineering friends on this one...

Like your ideas Hughie:2tsup: