PDA

View Full Version : working height for lathe

robyn2839
12th January 2008, 11:45 PM
do you know the formula for the lathe to be at the correct height for turning?, i find mine too high, the spindle is about 5;; higher than my elbow,any ideas? .bob

DJ’s Timber
12th January 2008, 11:49 PM
The spindle should be at about the same height as your elbows

rowie
13th January 2008, 12:02 AM
:iagree:

OGYT
13th January 2008, 05:48 AM
DJ and Rowie are spot on for the recommended height of your spindle.
When I had my first lathe set at my elbow, I developed back and shoulder problems... and it only seemed to happen after I'd been turning for a few hours. So I added 5.5 inches to my spindle height, and the problems went away. The spindle on my new lathe is now at 49". Works well for me as I don't have to bend over so far to see inside a vase or HF.
Good luck to you. :)

robyn2839
13th January 2008, 07:03 AM
thankyou guys for that info,just went and measured mine and the spindle height was 1250 (4'2'') from the floor ,too high so will have to unbolt lathe today and cut down ,which will be a pain as i only assembled it on Friday when i bought it. oh well. bob

Taffsmania
13th January 2008, 08:15 AM
Just make up some duck boards :D

Keith

Calm
13th January 2008, 08:41 AM
thankyou guys for that info,just went and measured mine and the spindle height was 1250 (4'2'') from the floor ,too high so will have to unbolt lathe today and cut down ,which will be a pain as i only assembled it on Friday when i bought it. oh well. bob

Bob think positive. Start turning and dont sweep the floor for a while. You will soon get the right D:D:D

Jim Carroll
13th January 2008, 09:17 AM
Dont cut the lathe stand down.

Measure from your elbow to the floor and that will be your spindle height. Give or take an inch.

As said before if it is too high it hurts the middle of your back and shoulders and if it is too low then the middle of you back gets hunched over and is very uncomfortable.

If you make a duck board to stand on this will help to get you to the right height and also not have to stand on concrete which can be very uncomfortable on your calves.

If you get into hollow forms you may find the extra height better as you generally have to bend down more to get inside the form so having the lathe a bit higher will help.

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 09:25 AM
:whs:

I agree with Jim don't cut the lathe down

Tony Morton
13th January 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Robyn
I have set mine at elbow height but now finding needs a bit more height I have 12 mill spacers under the lathe but others have said after some time at the lathe it causes back and shoulder aches. A lot depends on the angles of approach to the timber you use every body doesnt use tools sharpened to the rules I am one of these people so to compensate you change the angle of handle eg in my case lower than the guru's recomend still works Just a different way of skinning the cat.

Cheers Tony

PS Best wishes to all for the New Year

hughie
13th January 2008, 02:35 PM
If you get into hollow forms you may find the extra height better as you generally have to bend down more to get inside the form so having the lathe a bit higher will help.

I agree with Jim, I have lifted mine up especially for hollow forms. I have set mine at 1200mm.

Martin xp
13th January 2008, 04:04 PM
Sorry can´t follow the Mainstream! Mine is set up on Elbow high. It´s all good for Spindelwork but when it comes to Bowlturning I would like it 40-50mm lower just to get a better geometry from Body through Tool to the Bowl.
just my 5 cent
Martin

Jim Carroll
13th January 2008, 07:00 PM
Martin that is why it is a guide only.

Everyone turns differently and have different angles on their tools.

It is one of those things that you need to work on for a while and see what works best for you.

As I tell people when they are watching someone demonstrate watch what they do with the tools and how they hold them. Then once they are finished watch the person, as some people develop different techniques with standard tools because they may have a dicky wrist, elbow or shoulders. The way they use the tool has been developed to counteract something that is wrong with them and may not work for you.

By all means give it a try but if it does not work do not persist with it or you may wear the peice of wood.