PDA

View Full Version : Howdy Y'all!

Neal Addy
13th January 2008, 08:40 AM
Greetings from Texas! A forum noobie, here.

I see lots of familiar faces (Hi Stu, Ad, Toni, et al!) and quite a few I haven't had the pleasure to meet. Look forward to learning from you!

Just by way of introduction, I'm still a relatively new turner (just over 3 years). I turn on a Jet 1442 and also have a Jet mini. I mostly enjoy doing small lidded hollow forms.

Here's my latest piece. Black Limba and Blackwood. 4-3/4" x 4-3/4", finished with Seal-A-Cell and buffed.

Pops
13th January 2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Neal,

Welcome aboard. I'm not a turner myself but like the work.

Beautiful piece. Great shape and figure there. Love that lid, exquisite.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Pops

artme
13th January 2008, 09:38 AM
G'day Neal and welcome to the habitat of the ratbags.:2tsup::2tsup::D:q
Great piece you have produced there.:):)

Simomatra
13th January 2008, 09:50 AM
G'day Neil welcome to the madhouse.

Lovely piece you have made to introduce yourself:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
13th January 2008, 10:28 AM
G'day.

Nice piece. :2tsup:

dai sensei
13th January 2008, 10:49 AM
Welcome aboard Neal.

Beutiful piece and I particularly like the finial.

BernieP
13th January 2008, 11:49 AM
G'Day Neal

Welcome aboard, enjoyed my visit to your website, nice work.

Cheers
Bernie

Caveman
13th January 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi Neal - nice piece - welcome aboard!

Gil Jones
13th January 2008, 04:51 PM
Hey,Neal, welcome to this forum, it is an interesting group of nice folks.
Fine work, as usual:2tsup:

Neal Addy
13th January 2008, 05:34 PM
Hiya, Gil. Good to see you here.

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

scooter
13th January 2008, 06:03 PM
Gday, Neal, & welcome. :)

Nice form, mate. :2tsup:

Cheers................Sean

lubbing5cherubs
13th January 2008, 08:53 PM
Welcome aboard.
nice job on that box
bye Toni

ss_11000
13th January 2008, 09:19 PM
nice work:clap:

powderpost
13th January 2008, 09:50 PM
Nice timber, nicely turned... good work.
Jim

TTIT
14th January 2008, 12:22 AM
Maybe there's not as many turners on the planet as we thought - looks like all the forums are occupied by the same crowd :;:U

Beautiful work you're doing Neal - enjoyed the website :2tsup:. Welcome to the best forum around (and I only have time for one so it has to be!:B)

Evan Pavlidis
14th January 2008, 04:03 AM
Good onya Neil, excellent work :2tsup:. Nice piece of timber for your hollow form and that finial is spot on :2tsup: :2tsup: and welcome on board.

Cheers,
Evan

Ad de Crom
14th January 2008, 04:32 AM
Hi Neal, very nice to see you here on this forum.
What a small world huh.

Ad :)

OGYT
14th January 2008, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the bright side of turnin', Neal. Love the HF and the Finial. You've done some really great pieces... I enjoyed the tour of your Website.
If you ever travel North on US287, give me a pm. I'm a good stopover point for a rest...:)

HappyHammer
14th January 2008, 11:22 AM
Welcome Neal, like the piece, hope you enjoy the best woodwork forum on the net.

HH.

robutacion
14th January 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Neal Addy,

I'm pleased to see everyone welcoming you as a new member, in this forum, it can be at times, a very comforting place to be. Doesn't take a great deal of time and effort, to be kind to others, well done.
I wouldn't most certainly, wish to brake such good and positive welcoming reception, so welcome to this group of many origins, with AT LEAST one thing in common, the passion for timber and wood turning. Your work seems exquisite, well performed and nicely presented, my congratulations. Let this forum be an inspiration for some of your future works!

Cheers
RBTCO

Hardenfast
14th January 2008, 04:20 PM
Howdy indeed Neal.

Great to see another American here - particularly a Long Tall Texan. As you may be aware we affectionately label all you guys "Seppos". OGYT and the others can explain further. Nice website BTW. Never heard of Black Limba (although the others probably have) - more info please.

You will of course be required to submit some WIP (Work in Progress) photo series of your most excellent pieces and your hollowing techniques etc here in due course.

In the meantime, welcome aboard! Set a spell.... take your shoes off...

Sawdust Maker
14th January 2008, 08:20 PM
Welcome - I'm new as well only beat you by a couple of months
I hope to get to your level of skill one day. You've been at it for about 4 years, I'll do my best to catch up, 3 to go.
your work is awesome
Can you please tell us what you finish your turnings with?
cheers

joe greiner
14th January 2008, 10:13 PM
Welcome aboard, Neal. Like they said, this is the best there is. Find and bookmark a dictionary of Australian slang; we/they speak a different brand of "English" here. Jump into the metric vs Imperial fray at your own risk.

Oz slang often places an "o" at the end. "Seppo": "Yank" rhymes with "septic tank;" ergo, "seppo."
"Arvo" = relaxed pronunciation of "arFternoon." And so it goes.

Joe

Neal Addy
15th January 2008, 04:12 AM
I sure appreciate the warm welcome, folks! I may be a Yank (or Seppo?) but I'm a huge fan of Oz woods. I'm lucky enough to find some now and then and love to turn it! Best in the world for turning.

To answer a few questions:

Hardenfast, Black Limba is a West African wood. Fairly soft and nice to turn. Most of what I see is rather boring but occasionally I find a piece with this interesting black streaking. The wood is full of pores (you can see them in the pic) and doesn't take well to buffing with White Diamond.

Sawdust Maker, my favorite finish du jour is Seal-A-Cell (General Finish product). It was used on most of the work in my gallery. A few pieces (such as Cocobolo) have no finish other than buffing.

Joe, I'll try to learn the lingo but I'll warn you, I'm not much good at metric or Imperial. Can't hurt to give it a shot, though. Feel free to correct me when I get off base!

So... how 'bout: G'Day, Y'all! :D

:no:

HappyHammer
15th January 2008, 08:33 AM
So... how 'bout: G'Day, Y'all! :D

:no:
Close, try G'Day mate and she'll be right.:U

HH.