PDA

View Full Version : Intarsio training courses ?

kellysmum
13th January 2008, 04:34 PM
Are there any Intarsia training courses in southern Sydney eg Sutherland Shire way or thereabouts ?

Are there any other woodworking courses people could recommend that would help me learn to become proficient in Intarsia ?

I'm interested in taking up Intarsia but I don't have much idea of where to start.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mongrell
14th January 2008, 07:22 AM
giday kellysmum i dont know of any courses ,but a good way to start is with judy gale roberts book easy to make intarsia ,the dolphin pattern is fairly simple .also theres an aussie book by steve bundred . used to be called gecko timbers .judys book tells how to do it step by step and i still refer to it . good luck

Frank&Earnest
14th January 2008, 03:34 PM
The title of your post made me think that you were talking about real intarsio work. If you are talking JGR "Intarsia", I am sure you will be able to find some kindergarten teacher willing to assist.:wink:

mongrell
14th January 2008, 06:47 PM
The title of your post made me think that you were talking about real intarsio work. If you are talking JGR "Intarsia", I am sure you will be able to find some kindergarten teacher willing to assist.:wink:
still smarting eh frank

Frank&Earnest
14th January 2008, 08:20 PM
still smarting eh frank

...short for smart a...ing? well... yes! :D Hoping it is all taken as good fun, of course.

mongrell
14th January 2008, 09:02 PM
...short for smart a...ing? well... yes! :D Hoping it is all taken as good fun, of course.
well no frank, wasnt taken in good fun as youre comments had absolutely nothing to do with this ladys request and were implying that judy gale roberts work is of kindergarden standard .im still to find someone whos work is comparable to her as her numerous awards will testify to.

nfld steve
14th January 2008, 10:31 PM
http://http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1275/4385348/9268732/134081397.jpgI'm, learing,or trying to learn how to post a picture.This might be a picture of me shaping an intarsia whale,lol,or maybe not.
I have the JGR book also,but what I found most helpful was a magazine called Creative woodworks and Crafts.There's intarsia projects in it,and it shows you step by step how to do it,and the choice of woods are up to you.
The first intarsia I did is on my wall,it's a clownfish,made of pine I think,all the pieces are cut from one pice of wood,shaped,sanded,and painted different colors.
It was a great one for a beginning.
Anyway,best of luck.Steve

nfld steve
14th January 2008, 11:37 PM
Opps.:doh:

Red Gum
16th January 2008, 02:07 PM
Hello Kellys Mum

Isn't wonderful in this enlightened world that there are people who never make mistakes and we have one in our midst.

Beside that I have been doing intarsia now for a bit over a year. I am self taught and enjoy the work very much as well as having a paying hobby.

I started with a book from Geko timbers in Qld called"Intarsia Down Under" contact [email protected] or phone 07 4935 1162. I also bought some of their patterns at a reasonable price. There is also a lot of information on the net.

I was photo copying these on my small printer but now go to a print shop and can get enough large prints for $2

I just glue these on to the timber with wood glue from a $2 shop and then away I go.

I sugest that you find somethig simple to start with and learn by you mistakes.

It's a great hobby and I hope you enjoy it.

Red Gum

simso
18th January 2008, 10:27 AM
Yep Ill second that book, its brilliant. Dont worry about courses just give it a go and ask questions.

Heres an example, the first pic is all the pieces in the raw, second pic is all the pieces lovingly sanded and assembled

Steve

skot
29th January 2008, 10:44 PM
I agree with red gum...get a hold of Intarsia Down Under. Great book. My first attempt was from that book. A very simple Kangaroo