PDA

View Full Version : Question on this tutorial

lubbing5cherubs
13th January 2008, 06:34 PM
HI Guys, I was wondering if you can tell me is the wood being held in a jacob chuck. Is that right?

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/mikesbobbins//birth.html
bye Toni

chrisb691
13th January 2008, 06:44 PM
Hi Toni,

I dont think it's a Jacobs chuck. The 3 jaws on the Jacobs cannot handle square stock. I suspect that they are pin jaws in a scroll chuck (like the Nova). I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong. :D

DJ’s Timber
13th January 2008, 06:47 PM
Yes Toni, that is a Jacobs chuck aka a standard drill chuck with a morse taper to fit in your headstock

Harry72
13th January 2008, 06:48 PM
Looks like one, definately not nova pin jaws.
maybe he's rounded the chuck end 1st?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th January 2008, 06:51 PM
Looks like an Engineer's Chuck to me...

Toni, I usually use a Jacob's Chuck for my bobbins, but I round off one end first so it can grip properly.

Jim Carroll
13th January 2008, 07:03 PM
like skew said round the end to fit in the 3 jaws of the drill chuck.

3 into 4 dont go very well.

chrisb691
13th January 2008, 07:08 PM
Looks like an Engineer's Chuck to me...

Toni, I usually use a Jacob's Chuck for my bobbins, but I round off one end first so it can grip properly.

I stand corrected. :D I should have looked at ALL the pictures. :-

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th January 2008, 07:14 PM
Another trick is to cut an MDF disk into four segments, then nick the "points" off before screwing 'em onto a faceplate to make a jam chuck. This gives you a square hole to simply jam the end of the blank into.

I did this way back when, before I bought my first scroll chuck.

Tapering the cut ends will allow the same jam chuck to be used for a variety of blank sizes. :)

lubbing5cherubs
13th January 2008, 07:38 PM
WOW thanks for all the replies. And the advice regards rounding it up.
thanks
Toni

littlebuddha
16th January 2008, 05:19 AM
Hi chances are you are right and it is a jacobs chuck, i use one myself for doing Lace bobbins and they will take square stock, also about the chuck being on a morse taper, this can be danger and can fly out, it has happen to me and a few turners i know, tailstock end okay, not the head.
Best is to have the morse left off and just use the jacobs in your main chuck like a nova, save a lot of time as well changeing chucks about.Chuck a chuck....:2tsup: LB

http://www.shapewood.co.uk