PDA

View Full Version : Kiama wood show 2008

Greg Ward
14th January 2008, 03:38 PM
On again this year in several months time. Small but perfectly formed

A great day out and a quick drive down from Sydney.

More details when date is set.

Regards
Greg

Pat
14th January 2008, 06:03 PM
I better get saving some money then!:U

benji79
14th January 2008, 06:11 PM
Yep, went last year and its a great little show. Will be going back. Begining of March, I think I seen it advertised for.

Greg Ward
24th January 2008, 08:30 AM
Show is on 8 and 9 March, (around 6 weeks time) ......the week after the Newcastle wood show.

Displays and competitions from the local wood turners club.
Locally produced timber items for sale
Old tools
Finishing materials
Wood working equipment
Large selection of wood and timber: turning block, slabs and boards

Located in hall on main drag just off the main street

A great day's drive 1/12 hours drive south to Kiama, not sure if the blue's festival is on the same weekend.

Regards
Greg

Pat
24th January 2008, 08:59 AM
I hope to be there, with cash in pocket. Probably after more wood as I have two weeks leave middle of February and if I get some yard work done before hand I can play in the shed:U

Greg what type of timber will Mal be taking?

Greg Ward
24th January 2008, 09:24 AM
I guess the normal: red cedar, kauri pine, rosewood, red river gum, burls and slices, N qld silky, qld maple, Mackay cedar, jarrah, Huon pine etc. etc.

If you want anything special bought down let me know and I'll get him to load it.

Regards
Greg

Pat
25th January 2008, 04:25 AM
Thanks Greg, ATM just interested in turning blanks of anything other than Burls.

Greg Ward
25th January 2008, 07:27 AM
Got some nice European beech, US cherry and a few other exotics he'll bring down this time, plus some australian rosewood.

Greg

wheelinround
25th January 2008, 08:19 AM
Marked the date Thanks Greg :2tsup:

The Hornet
25th January 2008, 11:00 AM
What is this cost of this woodshow?
Thinking about bringing a small group of school kids down.

Chris Parks
1st February 2008, 02:35 PM
Pat, remind me when it's on. I was in Kiama this morning and I saw a sign for the Blues Festival on the same weekend?? Could be a good double header if it is. I just checked and it is the same weekend.

Greg Ward
3rd February 2008, 02:16 PM
Don't know the cost, it's only small, in the local hall, with timber out the back.
But it's a lovely place and ther will be some good exhibits, demonstrations and items for sale.
Cost $5?
Perhaps someone can inform?

Greg

I_wanna_Shed
3rd February 2008, 02:46 PM
Don't know the cost, it's only small, in the local hall, with timber out the back.
But it's a lovely place and ther will be some good exhibits, demonstrations and items for sale.
Cost $5?
Perhaps someone can inform?

Greg

I think I went around 2 years ago. I thought the entry was free??? I could be wrong though.

Greg Ward
11th February 2008, 12:27 PM
Cionfirming the entry cost is free, giving you more funds to support the local club and suppliers of course....
Greg

wheelinround
11th February 2008, 12:54 PM
now thats what all shows showd be leave more for spending

Baz
11th February 2008, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=Greg Ward;669139]Show is on 8 and 9 March, (around 6 weeks time) ......the week after the Newcastle wood show.

Located in hall on main drag just off the main street

I am thinking of going for a perv, I assume it is sign posted?

Cheers
Barry

Pat
11th February 2008, 08:34 PM
Are we going to arrange a meeting or wear our forum caps? Saturday morning is my targeted time.

Baz
11th February 2008, 08:56 PM
OK, I have checked out Hindmarsh St with Whereis and no go, so can anyone enlighten me as to where the Masonic hall is.

Pat I plan on being there on Saturday morning at this stage.
Cheers
Barry

Pheonix
11th February 2008, 10:38 PM
Just past Terralong Street ,near where all the old miners cottages or whatever they are supposed to be,opposite the Leagues Club.
Was down there the other day visiting a mate of mine who owns a few of the shops there.

Big Shed
11th February 2008, 10:48 PM
OK, I have checked out Hindmarsh St with Whereis and no go, so can anyone enlighten me as to where the Masonic hall is.

Pat I plan on being there on Saturday morning at this stage.
Cheers
Barry

Don't use Whereis, use Google Maps

Type in Terralong St Kiama NSW, and it will show and optionally give you directions from wherever.

wheelinround
12th February 2008, 08:45 AM
:doh::doh: Think confirmation of location is needed

From this link
http://www.skillspublish.com.au/Calendar137.pdf
I am getting this information
Kiama (NSW)
Kiama Woodcraft Group Annual Woodcraft Expo
Venue: Kiama Masonic Hall, Hindmarsh St, Kiama. Free entry,
9am-5pm both days

Yet when I do a Google map search the closest Hindmarsh St is in Gerringong further south the next town.

The old Masonic hall which is on the historic walks trail is along Minnamurra street around the corner from the cottages under the viaduct near the old Firestation.

other wise at the intersection of Tarralgon st & Collins St.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kiama&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.665741,150.851866&spn=0.006053,0.009452&t=h&z=17&om=0

Pat
12th February 2008, 11:22 AM
Ray, the Masonic hall is in Collins St Kiama as marked. It is the main thoroughfare thru Kiama and gets called a few names to confound the living bejesus out of everyone.

wheelinround
12th February 2008, 12:38 PM
:2tsup: Thanks Pat thats where I figured it would be as I saw it 2006.

Ok I/we will be there for sure :2tsup::D

Baz
12th February 2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for that Pat, was a bit confused as the AWR had the location as Hindmarsh St which doesn't appear to be in Kiama.

Cheers
Barry

Pat
12th February 2008, 08:01 PM
The Hall is next to Hindmarsh Park, that's were most of the confusion stems from.

Greg Ward
7th March 2008, 07:40 AM
It's easy to find, and a great drive down.
See you there
Greg

wheelinround
7th March 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm easy to avoid :D

wheelinround
8th March 2008, 06:46 PM
Been done it good display of works many which appeared to sell during the day the turners, carvers, pyro and some fellow doing a Triton Gifkin display top show fella's and ladies:2tsup:.

Great to meet up with Pat proudly wearing his WW Forum shirt & Hat, I don't own one so couldn't & Mal and Greg Oh those timbers, That Black Bean :rolleyes:

Some other fellow came up and introduced himself unfortunately I didn't hear him clearly all I can think he said was Jay. Almost thought he was Santa but had lost weight

Leigh & Yvonne Ferguson from Wood Eze http://www.wood-eze.com.au/index.html
were there had a lot of stuff thanks for the specials guy's.

Mal & Greg had the best spot out the back in the sun listening to the Jaz & Blue's Festival. They reckon it was tops they could still hear it over the top of the airconditioner motors from the shops behind them making sure they didn't get cold feet sitting in the shade.

Sorry you didn't make it Chris but Pat said he would share his stash of Mal's timbers with you. :p

Bumped into a few other recent people I know also from the Ornimental Turners Group.

Now I was a bit :o just as we were leaving :roll: a young fella about 15/16 wearing a hat one of those old grandad hats like Stirlo wears, was watching intently a bowl being turned.

jchappo
9th March 2008, 11:39 AM
[quote=wheelinround;697169]

Some other fellow came up and introduced himself unfortunately I didn't hear him clearly all I can think he said was Jay. Almost thought he was Santa but had lost weight

Yeah, that was me - I left the sleigh around the corner :D:D

wheelinround
9th March 2008, 05:21 PM
[quote=wheelinround;697169]

Yeah, that was me - I left the sleigh around the corner :D:D

My apologies and pleasure to meet you John

those noisy other blokes you were with that I had met last Wednesday was the problem.

Damn would have loved to see the sleigh :doh:

Pat
9th March 2008, 06:46 PM
It was with great pleasure that I went down to Kiama, although I met a couple of rough nuts, Wheeling and chappo:U and a couple of real gents Mal and Greg (or is it the other way around:q)

I have to warn everyone about Leigh, nothing is too difficult for him and the million and one silly questions about this that and the other thing. He is a good salesman and has a great range of goods . . .

Yours Roy :) . . .

jchappo
10th March 2008, 07:00 PM
And Pat was doing a good job trying to convince the local turners to use UBEAUT products ...

And the fish and chips at the harbour were great:2tsup:

wheelinround
10th March 2008, 08:12 PM
One of he more interesting pieces on display

Pat
11th March 2008, 04:36 AM
At least someone remembered to take some photos. Someone else took the camera and left it in his back pocket:club:

Pheonix
11th March 2008, 09:13 AM
Looks like Len Harrisons work,did he have his Mack prime mover on display?

wheelinround
11th March 2008, 10:13 AM
At least someone remembered to take some photos. Someone else took the camera and left it in his back pocket:club:

:doh: Well don't feel to bad Pat I had camera around my neck and didn't get Sue to take photo's of us and others

Then again we could do that at a BBQ one day maybe :;

Pheonix Looks like Len Harrisons work,did he have his Mack prime mover on display?

It did have LH plates :no: didn't see a Prime Mover