PDA

View Full Version : Setting depth of cut, problem

Rafael
15th January 2008, 05:42 AM
I have a new LS system. I've used them extensively several years ago with success.
However, I am pulling my hair out trying to set the depth of cut. I can not close the gap without making the joint impossible to fit. I have a small gap when the joint is correctly fitting with regard to snugness. My stock is square and the right angle jig is square to the table, the router bits are new. My router is mounted in a Woodpeck Quicklift.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

martink
15th January 2008, 02:37 PM
I have a new LS system. I've used them extensively several years ago with success.
However, I am pulling my hair out trying to set the depth of cut. I can not close the gap without making the joint impossible to fit. I have a small gap when the joint is correctly fitting with regard to snugness. My stock is square and the right angle jig is square to the table, the router bits are new. My router is mounted in a Woodpeck Quicklift.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Hmm sounds like either the router bit is not exactly square to the table face or your fence is not square to the table. It doesn't take much to knock the fit of the joint out:(

ciao,

M.

Rafael
16th January 2008, 02:29 AM
The fence is square.
The gap is at least 1/16".
If the bit wasn't square then I would imagine that the gap would be at an angle, which it is not.

bsrlee
18th January 2008, 08:54 PM
Sounds to me like there is some flex in the table or the way the router lift & plate are connected to the table.

One way to cause this is to lower the bit when adjusting rather than winding it up only - friction in the router lift can cause the down movement to lag slightly behind where the bit appears to be, and when the router encounters the wood it moves a thou' or so until it is hard against the lock.

If you only make adjustments 'up' gravity works in your favor & keeps everything against the movement lock. This does mean that you have to lower the bit 'too far' and then wind it back up - this is where a good digital or vernier height gauge is very handy, along with a pencil & paper to keep note of the measurements & changes you make (because someone is going to interrupt you at a critical point).

Rafael
19th January 2008, 01:53 AM
bsrlee,
That did it, the joints now fit perfectly.

Thanks!