PDA

View Full Version : iPod or similar

MikeT
15th January 2008, 10:21 AM
Doesn't really fit here but then it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Basically I'm looking to buy some sort of listening device that I can load mpgs or podcasts onto and listen to them while doing all sorts of jobs around the place. It'd be nice to also have a radio in it but then that may bulk it up to much - and anyway - it may be easier to buy one of them seperately pretty cheaply. It has to be pretty robust of course so I don't destroy it. iPods I've looked at are a little flimsy - but there may be cases you can get for them. And someway of clipping it on a belt and running wires so they don't get caught up in things.

Anyone have any ideas/anything you use. How effectively do mobiles do any of this. I don't actually have one but have been considering joining the... well late 20th century and getting one.

Cheers,
Mike.

bitingmidge
15th January 2008, 10:38 AM
The iPod isn't just a pretty face, and will do all those things, clip on, out of the way, while you're jogging, and all that stuff.

I don't like them for working, because you can't hear other stuff going on.

I have a relatively (about $100) radio with CD player that can play MP3 CD's. Same in the car. I have one CD for instance with about 50 ABC radio conversation hours on it.

So if you want the iPod for that sort of thing, you don't need it.

On the other hand, you could join the consumer queue, and buy an iPod, then a radio dock, then some speakers..... and maybe a car kit.

Cheers,

P

les88
15th January 2008, 01:45 PM
my mobile phone will play mp3's
les

RufflyRustic
15th January 2008, 02:04 PM
I bought myself the 30 gb Gigabeat mp3 player. There are others around, but I like this one for its extreme simplicity. Works with Windows Media player, easy to use. It fits on the hand i.e. about the same size, um definitely bigger than an iPod. I hook it up to a set of cheap speakers in the shed for when the radio gets boring. It's not everyone's ideal choice, but I love mine. It does exactly what I want and not much more, and so is perfect for me.

cheers
Wendy

Sir Stinkalot
15th January 2008, 07:29 PM
I have recently purchased a Ipod 80gb classic and a 8gb Ipod Nano .... both are great litte machines. I have loaded all of my cds onto the classic and still have room for audio podcasts and video podcasts. You will be surprised how much space the video podcasts take up so if they are you thing look for a larger capacity. I have also purchased the fm radio attachment which has a small remote control built in between the unit and headphones.

Cases are good. I picked up a few different cases at http://www.dealextreme.com very cheaply. I use a clear plastic case for the classic that also covers the screen making it very safe, and an armband from the nano.

The screen is good for watching woodworking video podcasts such as our very own Stu's Shed or The Woodwhisperer. Battery life is also quite good.

The nano has a flash memory where as the classic has a mini hard drive. The flash memory is better if you are going to be active and jumping around a lot as it doesn't have any moving parts. That being said I haven't had any problem with the classic while at the gym.

I know there are a lot of complaints about Ipods but in my opinion they are well worth it.

Make it work
24th January 2008, 01:31 AM
Both my kids have the Apple Ipods, I thought I'd buy one off ebay that had a radio in built, Not a genuine Ipod and an absolute piece of crap, I managed to send it back for a full refund and won't ever buy another no name one.

The genuine Ipod has a great user interface where you can scroll through the menus with the click wheel, Brilliant! This other piece of junk was difficult to use and was so poor in quality that many times when you find the thing you scroll to and try to select it it puts you back to the top of the list or to a previous menu. Also the battery would last a hour if that.