PDA

View Full Version : Nut Damage Pls Help

derrick28
15th January 2008, 07:10 PM
Hi all,

How can i fix a damage nut ???
Below are the pix...no matter how hard i try to join it it wont work!!! :(
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9139/045rz0.th.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=045rz0.jpg)

glock40sw
15th January 2008, 08:19 PM
drill it out and thread it to a larger size and then fit a helicoil to size it back to the original thread size

pipeclay
15th January 2008, 08:27 PM
It looks to me be to be a fishing gaff,
What acess to machinery do you have,
If the shaft it screws into is solid you could drill it out and retap a larger thread,make a socket to fit over the male thread of your gaff with internal and external thread to suit your new shaft thread.
If appearence doesnt matter you could look at inserting your gaff back in the shaft and drilling the two and use a pin or small nut and bolt to hold the two together.
Theres many different ways to solve your problem depending on acess to tooling and ability.

Ivan in Oz
15th January 2008, 08:39 PM
Is the STUD thread Damaged?
or Both Stud and Nut?
What about cleaning up the threads?
Die nut and a Thread File

derrick28
15th January 2008, 09:29 PM
It looks to me be to be a fishing gaff,
What acess to machinery do you have,
If the shaft it screws into is solid you could drill it out and retap a larger thread,make a socket to fit over the male thread of your gaff with internal and external thread to suit your new shaft thread.
If appearence doesnt matter you could look at inserting your gaff back in the shaft and drilling the two and use a pin or small nut and bolt to hold the two together.
Theres many different ways to solve your problem depending on acess to tooling and ability.

Yes its a Fishing Gaff!
Can you list all the tools i need...not too what i got, i need to check tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance :)
Derrick

pipeclay
16th January 2008, 01:31 PM
Probably your easiest fix would be to drill and rivet or drill and nut and bolt.If you have acess to a drill press that would be good if not an electric drill or battery should do.
With the screw part of the gaf you will need to drill a small hole (3mm/1/8) in the middle of the threaded section(If you have a grinder or file put a small flat on the threaded section(this should make it easier to drill),then centre pop a mark for your drill.
Seeing the gaf is probably stanless you will have to drill very slowly with a slow speed,you need to keep the stainless cool,if not you will find it very hard to drill and will either be changing drill bits or sharpening your drill often.(not the best coolant but try water or a bit of engine oil).
The piece is'nt that big so it shouldnt be to much of a worry.
After drilling the gaf lay it beside the handle and mark where the hole is (how far down from the top)mark this spot as well with a flat and centre pop.
Drill this piece slightly bigger to compensate for any error in marking out.
After drilling put gaf back in handle and rotate untill the holes line up,If they are a little bit out open one or both of the holes in your handle untill they do.
Now you can either use a small stanless nut and bolt or if you can find a small piece of rod rivet the ends over.
In regards to the tools required (drill,drill bits,some type of clamp for drill,centre punch or strong nail,file or grinder.hammer,couple of shifters or spanners).
If you go with the nut and bolt get 2 nuts and use the as a lock nut or use 1 nylock nut.

Yonnee
16th January 2008, 01:39 PM
I'm with Trevor, a helicoil kit.

The thread on the hook looks OK, and the shaft looks like it's aluminium (probably why the thread's gone if it was cut straight into it). If you were to put in a helicoil, you'd get a steel thread which would last longer.

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2008, 02:36 PM
Have you stripped the thread or can't you get it started because it's crossed threaded?

If stripped, helicoil as said above or if crossed threaded, probably just needs a tap ran into it.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

derrick28
16th January 2008, 03:21 PM
Have you stripped the thread or can't you get it started because it's crossed threaded?

If stripped, helicoil as said above or if crossed threaded, probably just needs a tap ran into it.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

Not sure what i mean by stripped thread, i never good are tools!
But this is what i have done so far....with the Gaff Pole (the long metal handle) i try to make a new thread...but still can't get the Gaff to join.
How much does the recoil kit cost, just don't want to spend too much on it as i get this from Ebay pretty cheap.
Perhaps i should go down to my local Bunnings store and ask for advise, i am a bit cross at myself for not understand what you guys trying to help me with the problems !!!! :(

Derrick

DJ’s Timber
16th January 2008, 04:31 PM
Bunnings is the last place you want to go for advice, they don't even stock the helicoils as far as I know.

Been a while since I've bought a recoil or helcoil, but depending on sizes would probably looking at about $15-$25 and a drill bit to drill it out to the correct size which would be from $10 up to $50 depending on size.

As for a stripped thread, what I mean there, can you screw the hook in but it just pulls out again because the thread is worn away.

From this remark
with the Gaff Pole (the long metal handle) I try to make a new thread are you saying that there is no thread in the pole for the hook to thread into, so what you're trying to do is make a thread for the hook to screw into.

If this last bit is right, then you need to drill the hole in the pole to the correct size and using a tap, create a new thread into the pole.

Again as I asked, whereabouts in Melbourne are you, one of us might be close to you that could help you out. I regularly travel through Melbourne doing deliveries and might be able to help you out if your in the right area.

MrFixIt
16th January 2008, 04:59 PM
Hi

Helicoil is WAAAAAY over the top here for a job like this :oo:

I am going to make some assumptions here, I am not a fisher person, I don't use gafs, so bear with me on the comments that follow :wink:

Ok, I am assuming from what *I* see in the photo that the shaft is an aluminium extrusion.

The nut would therefore be fastened/held in place by the apparent hex shape of the extrusion and the black "cap" on the end of the shaft.

My guess is that the nut is prevented from falling/being pulled out from the shaft by having the end of the shaft "hammered/riveted" over. (It won't rotate of course as it is held in the extrusion).

If this IS correct then all that is needed is one of two choices. By some convenient means,, you (somewhat forcefully but CAREFULLY) remove the existing nut and replace it with a new one - re "riveting" the end of the shaft over the new nut.

OR

Cut off the end of the shaft, just behind the nut and "duplicate" the original end with a new nut as described above.

See the rough sketch below to understand how I think the device is made.

jackaroo
16th January 2008, 10:40 PM
Just an idea: remember you are fixing the gaff and this will be immersed into saltwater from time to time, so select appropriate screw/river for the job

Cheers,
Jackaroo

ps: If it was me, I will get the same taper size to clean out the internal thread, screw the hook back on then drill 1 hole (5mm) right thought the nut and bolt. buy a 4x0.7mm stainless steel bolt (with nut) to secure both together.
If you are doing it this way remember to drill both at once else the holes will not line up with each other and you might not be able to put the bolt thu

derrick28
16th January 2008, 10:56 PM
Just an idea: remember you are fixing the gaff and this will be immersed into saltwater from time to time, so select appropriate screw/river for the job

Cheers,
Jackaroo

ps: If it was me, I will get the same taper size to clean out the internal thread, screw the hook back on then drill 1 hole (5mm) right thought the nut and bolt. buy a 4x0.7mm stainless steel bolt (with nut) to secure both together.

What tools do i need to clean out the internal thread ????
Would it be better if i buy "Tool Tap & Die" set and try to make a new thread ???
I am located in Melbourne Western side!!!

Derrick

jackaroo
16th January 2008, 11:17 PM
What tools do i need to clean out the internal thread ????
Would it be better if i buy "Tool Tap & Die" set and try to make a new thread ???
I am located in Melbourne Western side!!!

Derrick

You need a taper with the right pitch to clean it out. You will not need to drill the pole again as you are only re-threading with original side.

By the way, is it a nut inserted to the end of the pole?

When looking at the thread on the end of the pole, have they all gone or only a bit at the end on the pole was crossed? If only part of the thread is damaged at the end then you can use bigger drill bit to clean the damaged thread away and you might not need to do the thread again.

ps: I am in Melb also but Estern suburb!

soundman
16th January 2008, 11:56 PM
This is starting to sound hardre and harder for you. I beginning to wonder if it is all worth it.
Considering that all the serious gafs dont trust a thread at all.
the hook is generlay set into the handle and secured by abent over blunt end of the hook.....the whole shebang either bound or sleved in position.

There are very large forces come to play in a gaff and the hook can not afford to rotate. remember there may be ( if you are lucky) 10 20 or more KG of thrashing fish on the end of this thing.

Besides you should be able to pick up a half decent gaff down at BCF or wherever for $20 to $30 ......if you had the tools fine.... but i'll cost you that much to buy a single tap & tap wrench..

I have all the tools necessary for this repair on hand at no cost.....I wouldnt bother repairing it......well at least not that way.

More conventional solution.

cut the end off the pole.
cut the threaded end off the hook
put the blunt end of the hook in the vice and sharply bend the end over just past 90 degrees.
now the hard part
you will need to make a wooden plug tat fits up the tube.....tightly this will need to be at least 100mm long
this plug needs to have a slot to take the hook shaft and a hole to take the bent over end
the hook is mated up with the plug and driven home up the end of the shaft
then secured with a couple of screws ( just to keep it honest)
thats how the commercial ones are made.

you will note that the hook generaly comes out of a commercial made gaff off centre

Go have a look at one in a tackle shop all will become clear.

cheers