PDA

View Full Version : decking design

Trav
10th December 2003, 10:31 AM
I'm planning on buiding a deck over the christmas break (some holiday) and I need some advice on the design/construction. The good news is that I get to buy some new toys (ie sliding comp mitre saw) to do this...

I am using 90 x 90 treated pine posts, 2 pieces of 240 x 45 treated pine for my bearers (ie laminating? them together - 2500 span), with 190 x 45 for my joists (2000 span).

With 2 45mm thick bearers, fully housing them into the posts is not an option. I could house out 45mm, with the other 45mm protruding, or I could simply sit the bearers on the post and attach/secure using some kind of nail plate.

I'd be inclined to half-house the joints, but I've never built a deck before and I'd appreciate your advice.

My second issue is whether to hang the joists using hangers, or cantilever them by placing them on top of the bearers. I would be inclined to cantilever, but have heard that hanging them is the better option.

Any ideas?

Travis
the christmas deck builder

Theva
10th December 2003, 03:49 PM
Travis,

Bearers -
Don't laminate them. Use 45mm spacers and block them. Same goes to attaching them to the posts - 22mm cut on either side of the post, leaving 45mm in the middle; then bolt both bearer bits to the post.

Joists -
Based on your jost size, you are better off with attaching the joists (on top) to bearers using tripple grips rather than hang them on the bearers using joist hangers. Hope there is plenty of space.

Good luck.

Regards,

Theva

Trav
10th December 2003, 05:56 PM
Theva

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like a sensible way to go to me. Does anyone else have any comments?

I was curious about your comments about lots of space. What do you mean?

Trav

burn
10th December 2003, 07:36 PM
I'm assuming he means height 'space' ie posts then bearers then joists - the timber adds up. Not sure if you should house the bearers flush with the top of the posts, but I don't see why not.

Burn
Not authoritive, just an educated guess.