PDA

View Full Version : tassie for 8 days

robyn2839
17th January 2008, 10:48 PM
anyone have any ideas on planning my tassie trip in march , 8 days 9 nights ,must stay at ,davenport last night? .not too much walking (knees), want to get some timber to take home(will leave wife if necessary to make room for more wood) i kow we want to see port arthur,strahan,hobart markets,cradle mtn, bob

barrycraftwoods
18th January 2008, 09:30 AM
hi, if you are in n-e gine me a ring as i have plenty of timber for sale.blackwood,b-h sassi,myrtle,american redwood,english elm-oak. ph 03 .63546294. if i dont see you have a good trip.must see ledgerwood tree carvings. not far from me. steve

wheelinround
18th January 2008, 09:31 AM
flying or driving down Bob ?

when what month Bob?

see this also Bob some top suggestions http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=64753

where you staying in Devenport ?

we stayed at a B&B I'd have to look it up great hosts although it was 2004

robyn2839
18th January 2008, 11:12 AM
i,m driving down to tassie,will stay somewhere in davenport last night , only so we will be close for trip home, i have no idea where to go yet so i will have to hurry and work it out ,just looking for a suggested itenary from someone who has done it . bob

wheelinround
18th January 2008, 12:03 PM
Devenport we stayed at Riverview Lodge old style B&B but great people were running it then 2004 Doug Ramm & Karen Parnell breakfast was super

http://www.atdw.com.au/publish.asp?get_product=true&product_id=9037798
Parking and entrance from the back available, short walk to shops etc for dinner we went and got Fish n chips one night up the road at a takeaway to find out it was owned by mates BIL & wife.

our photo's or some are on here http://www.flickr.com/photos/invada1/page11/ just work back to page 7 from page 11

Hobart we stayed at Salamnca Inn http://www.salamancainn.com.au/

A round trip to Port Arthur and back to Hobart checking out the coastal views.
Cabdury's Factory depending on when your going they close for a few months a year.

Port Arther is all walking and not easy although they do have a train which takes you to drop off points there is a lookout to see over the site which is what we did.

Shame about the walking Cataract Gorge Launceston is excelent

Village Of Lower Crackpot and Tazmazia Staverton Rd Promised Land

Penny Royal is worth it shame I didn't get into the place no access

Oh The House of Anvers Chocolate and the Cheese factory down the road :D

Smithtown and its artworks murals

Salamanca markets only on Saturday till 3 or 4 pm.

Stanley is beaut chairlift and ride

The Huon Trail is worth the drive south of Hobart.

The drive to Strahan from Hobart is about 5 to 6 hours and only place to stop for a break is at Lake St Clare http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=-42.219365,146.289825&spn=0.697681,1.226349&z=10&om=0

so take food and drink

If you get the chance take the train A.B.T train ride from Strahan to Queenstown not cheap but worth the 3 1/2 hrs and return via coach 45 mins or train back a further 3 hours.
http://www.puretasmania.com.au/default.asp?pID=46
of course if you go from the other way round the island just as good

I will PM about National parks.

TimberNut
18th January 2008, 03:02 PM
See attached for the route I took in 2006. This was 2 weeks.
Devonport to Sheffeild, then onto Cradle Mountain.
Cradle Mountain to Stanley via Burnie.
Stanley to Strahan
Strahan to Hobart (stopping off at Lake St Claire)
Hobart south to Geeveston and Dover
Dover to Port Arthur.
Port Arthur to Coles Bay (Freycinet Nat Park)
Freycinet to Scottsdale via St Helens.
Scottsdale to Launceston
Launceston back to Devonport.
Loved it so much I intend to move there (one day REAL soon I hope...)
My "Must see's" in order of preference
1. "The Wall in the Wilderness" at Derwent Bridge - Amazing timber carvings. Not to be missed.
2. Freycinet National Park (awesome scenery)
3. Strahan - Do the cruise up the Gordon River - just beautiful part of the world
4. The entire trip south from Hobart down through the Huon Valley to Geeveston and onto Dover - man, I want to live there.....
5. Cradle Mountain - go down to look at Dove Lake, even if you don't walk around it, still beautiful
6. Port Arthur - obvious. Make sure you do the boat trip AND GET OFF AT BOTH ISLANDS !!!!! (it's worth it)
7. Sheffeild - a couple of hours there on your way to Cradle Mountain is well worth it. 2-3 hours is plenty.
8. Chairlift up The Nut at Stanley.
Things to skip completely (in my humble opinion)
Queenstown - ugliest site I've ever seen. A waste if you ask me
North East Corner (ONLY beacause you only have 8 days- go from Freycinet straight to Launceston).
Salamanca Markets - just like any other markets (just south of most :-) too crowded, and nothing special.
...now you've got me started.....damn I wanna be there right now........

woodbe
18th January 2008, 04:39 PM
Right next to the Botanical gardens in Launceston is a timber furniture and art gallery and shop. Well worth a look, some great work in there.

Google Maps Link: here (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=launceston&ie=UTF8&ll=-41.433923,147.142119&spn=0.002743,0.005531&t=h&z=18&om=0)

It's on Tamar Street, can't remember it's name. They also have some cute japanese monkeys in the botanical gardens...

Here is the gallery circled from Google Maps:

woodbe.

woodbe
18th January 2008, 04:46 PM
Found it on the web. It's called the Design Centre, Tasmania. Cnr Brisbane and Tamar roads, Launceston. They have a website too:

Design Centre Website (http://designcentre.com.au/index.php)

woodbe.

wheelinround
18th January 2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=14120

robyn2839
18th January 2008, 11:18 PM
i want to be there too ,by the sound of the place, cant wait . thanks for that info guys much appreciated.bob

dazzler
19th January 2008, 10:28 AM
Hi

Eight days is enough for a 'taste' of tassie if you enjoy driving and are happy to 'push' on so to speak. A bit like NZ dont underestimate the driving times between towns once off the main highway.

From what you would like to see I would do something like this;

DEVONPORT TO SHEFFIELD VIA Promised land / Tazmazia - even if you dont go in the maze the countryside is great and the food is good. Head back into Sheffield for the night.
SHEFFIELD to CRADLE MTN - spend a couple of nights up here just for the peace and views taking small walks around.
CRADLE MTN
CRADLE MTN TO STRAHANgreat scenery. Just after TULLAH there is a turn off to the left (Anthony Main Road ?) which is very hilly but magnificent and comes out near QUEENSTOWN. If its raining, der, there are some great waterfalls along this route. Dont go into QUEENSTOWN but down to STRAHAN.
STRAHAN
STRAHAN to HOBART - this is big day, lots of bends, not hit the red wine the night before.
HOBART to PORT ARTHUR - spend the day in PORT ARTHUR and back to HOBART for the night.
HOBART to DEVONPORT via LAUNCESTON
Get on Boat.I would leave the east coast at the moment as its in drought and very dry and seems to give a different impression to many that they had in thier minds.

Have fun.

ptc
20th January 2008, 11:08 AM
Stanley is a must visit.
You will find driving times take twice as long here.
hope you have a great trip
ex kilcoy resident.

dazzler
20th January 2008, 12:38 PM
Actually, on second thoughts why not can Hobart and Port Arthur and do that some other time (3day weekend special when flights are real cheap) and replace that with Stanley and maybe across to Arthurs River for a day and do the cruise there and see the western ocean which is very spectacular and harsh.

8 days is too short to really see that much and it saves at least 9hrs in the car if not more by bypassing the road across from strahan and back up to devonport :)

Sleeping Dog
20th January 2008, 05:03 PM
Bob,
The missus and I did 14 days in Tassie last September, it's a lovely place. It drizzled for a couple of hours on two mornings only, the rest was brilliant sunshine and blue water.

All comments above are spot on, except I disagree about Queenstown, true its not pretty, but I found the history of the place and the reasons it looks like this today fascinating. Skip the north-east, skip Salamanca Markets. Add on Gunns Plains Caves, The Wooden Boat School south of Hobart and have a meat pie at the bakery at Richmond, they are "to die for". Oh yeah, there's some old bridge there too.

If you are driving from Strahan to Hobart I'd suggest you break your trip at Derwent Bridge, there are cabins there which provide a "diy" breakfast then you can have a look at the Wall in the Wilderness next door and be in Hobart by lunchtime.

Because we "pushed along" a bit, after ten days we were starting to cover ground we had seen before so on impulse we hired a cottage at Boat Harbor Beach for the last few days - absolutely beautiful - you MUST add Boat Harbor Beach to your trip. Its only a couple of hours from Devonport and the Spirit doesn't leave until 7pm so you've plenty of time to dawdle back down the coast on the last day.

Happy trails,

Sleepy

ernknot
20th January 2008, 07:57 PM
I made the move five years ago and do not regret it for one minute. Wife misses the big shopping centres. I don't know why - hand bags, shoes, clothing, food malls et nausium. We do have the big crapware stores like mitre been and bummers. Apart from that life is beautiful. lots of good timber, fishing - scollops, crays, oysters, salmon, tune etc etc. It is just great. Common on down!

felixe
20th January 2008, 08:41 PM
They also have some cute japanese monkeys in the botanical gardens...

woodbe.

The monkeys are in The Queens Park, but watch out they have herpes - so no kissin!:no:

If you are staying is Devonport, consider Penguin, it is 15 minutes up the road and you can stay across the road from the beach - we stayed at a little place called the Matson which you can find on Wotif!

wheelinround
21st January 2008, 08:59 AM
If your staying in Strahan and want a nice place to relax try this Risby Cove a short stroll back to town or to the ABT Railway http://www.beautifulaccommodation.com/tasmania/westcoast/risbycove/
Had 3 nights there

There are heaps of Cabins around the whole Island

I agree with Sleepy Boat Harbour is spectacular water is Blue as can be with amazing diversity of shore line from volcanic rocks the views from Tabletop Lookout and Lighthouse

Queenstown is dramatic a sight to be seen no matter which direction you come from.

robyn2839
24th January 2008, 08:53 PM
well i have booked and paid for my accom strahan 6th 7th 8th hobart 9 10 11 launceston 12 13 and devonport 14 15 cant wait. i picked these places to stay and use as a base while i travel around checking out the place,and then i will have a better idea for next year,will have to find some huon, catch a trout, and hopefully see a few people . bob

rona
24th January 2008, 09:33 PM
Hi bob,
Have just been reading through some of the suggestions from other members for your trip to Tassie. All of the places listed are excellent,however you are going to run short of time unfortunately; Sue and I went approx two years ago, before I got cancer, with the Rolls Royce club which consisted of 26 people and 13 cars. We had bulk bookings to various places so the prices were much cheaper, but a beautiful place, I doubt if even six months would be long enough to go everywhere. Hopefully, when I improve I am going back again for at least 2 - 3 weeks this time. Some of the places mentioned - Stanley, strahan,Queenstown, trips up the river, visit to a shop/factory where they play with huon in Strahan, etc etc.
Have an enjoyable time, I wish I was there !

Regards,
Ron.

Calm
24th January 2008, 09:41 PM
Bob

I have only been to Tassie (Hobart) twice and both times went to the "Tahune" air walk. It is an easy drive from Hobart there and back in a long afternoon. There is a bit of a walk but not that much.

For a woodie to miss some of the biggest trees i have ever seen would seem unfair. Hope you get the chance i highly recommend that.

The Cadbury factory (second trip - only open weekdays) was delicious. Watching them make turkish delights was mouth watering.

Have a good trip

abitfishy
24th January 2008, 09:54 PM
Queenstown - ugliest site I've ever seen. A waste if you ask me

Agreed :2tsup:

If you stay in Launceston, make sure you go to Low Head for the Penguin viewing, its the best one in Tasmania (I went to 3 when I was there).

Launceston and the eastern side of the Tamar river is beautiful.

robyn2839
24th January 2008, 09:56 PM
i have always wanted to meet someone who likes turkish delight, why is it the last eaten in the chocolate box? or chucked out ? bob

abitfishy
24th January 2008, 11:33 PM
i have always wanted to meet someone who likes turkish delight, why is it the last eaten in the chocolate box? or chucked out ? bob

That chocolate covered turkish delight is completely different to traditional turkish delight. I LOVE it, its the first I eat, but I hate normal turkish delight for some reason.

wheelinround
25th January 2008, 05:43 AM
Rona the year we went 2004 the RR club did a rally then too we stayed at Launceston International were some were staying and followed them out one morning heading through Richmond. Same year that the Caravan & Motor Home ass had 3500 members staying around Delorian.

Bob March is the time of year we went great weather mild if you go near Copper go in and have a look at the museum of everything a great collection of tools and machinery.

Turkish Delight love it love both traditional and Cadbury's

Fry's is better they don't male it here anymore imported from UK sold only in special outlets in NSW.

If your into Motor vehicles there is a car museum across the road from the main park a good collection of vintage veteran and classic as well as motor bikes.

So where have you booked Bob??

:doh::B Sorry Rona in a rush this morning hope your on the mend and soon out and about in the Roller

robyn2839
25th January 2008, 08:27 AM
[quote=rona;669684]Hi bob,
Have just been reading through some of the suggestions from other members for your trip to Tassie. All of the places listed are excellent,however you are going to run short of time unfortunately; Sue and I went approx two years ago, before I got cancer, with the Rolls Royce club which consisted of 26 people and 13 cars. We had bulk bookings to various places so the prices were much cheaper, but a beautiful place, I doubt if even six months would be long enough to go everywhere. Hopefully, when I improve I am going back again for at least 2 - 3 weeks this time. Some of the places mentioned - Stanley, strahan,Queenstown, trips up the river, visit to a shop/factory where they play with huon in Strahan, etc etc.
Have an enjoyable time, I wish I was there !

Regards,

thanks for the kind words mate ,i hope you get there soon, and your health returns real soon .bob

robyn2839
25th January 2008, 08:38 AM
So where have you booked Bob??
island cabins ,hobart strahan, devonport,launceston
which are all family leasure parks.bob

wheelinround
25th January 2008, 09:20 AM
island cabins ,hobart strahan, devonport,launceston
which are all family leasure parks.bob

saw the one in Strahan nice mate stayed there shop across road does nice food

one place nice for quick breakies is Brummbies they are all over the place better than Macca's

Launceston has a great pasta house cheap is in the mall

DavidG
9th February 2008, 09:31 PM
Might join in on this as planning a 2 week driving trip down there in Dec 08.
Wife and 2 kids on board so not much room for wood :C

Will be ferrying in and out with the car.

Travel ACT to Melb
Ferry from Melb at 8pm 15th Dec
Return ferry 30th Dec 8pm
Travel to Ballarat etc on way home
Now all I have to do is fill the middle bit in.:roll:

dazzler
10th February 2008, 10:33 AM
Hi David

That is peak season so make sure you book real early. Particularly in Hobart as a lot of Govt people on term transfer finish the school year and use the better accomodation while the movers pack the house.

Have fun now. :D