PDA

View Full Version : lathe goes a random direction

Twinnie
19th January 2008, 10:29 PM
g'day/night all

yep the lemon (tecnatool 16-44) has struck again! this time it will go in reverse when you turn it on and it's set to forwards or it'll just sit there buzzing polled out. unless you spin it the direction you want it to go first. has any one else experianced this with an ac motor before?

my car starter motor used to do it but that was a fairly simple thing.

I'll be ringing tecnatool on monday.

Matt

TTIT
19th January 2008, 11:34 PM
Starting capacitor is knackered. Usually easy to replace but it sounds like you should be replacing that whole lathe after all the trouble you've had :o.

DavidG
20th January 2008, 12:04 AM
:iagree:

robutacion
20th January 2008, 02:30 AM
Hi Twinnie

My Nova 1624-44, have done the same and it was only one month old.
If is under warranty they will replace the problem part for you, if not is not difficult to replace nor that expensive, I don't think!
In the pic attached it will show you what part is failing.
Some people call it magneto, condenser, TTIT calls it starting capacitor, all the same!

Hope this helps

Cheers
RBTCO

NCArcher
20th January 2008, 10:38 AM
Some people call it magneto, condenser, TTIT calls it starting capacitor, all the same!
Cheers
RBTCO

Sorry RBTCO, it is a capacitor. It is not a magneto or a condenser. They are totally different things.
Twinnie, if you ask for a magneto or condenser they will not know what you are talking about.
If you don't have a technatool agent close by try an appliance repair place. Take the old capacitor in and they should be able to replace it.

lubbing5cherubs
20th January 2008, 11:28 AM
Mate she has given you a fair run around the kitchen. Gee Hope teknatool is able to give you a hand with this
bye Toni

robutacion
20th January 2008, 04:25 PM
Sorry RBTCO, it is a capacitor. It is not a magneto or a condenser. They are totally different things.
Twinnie, if you ask for a magneto or condenser they will not know what you are talking about.
If you don't have a technatool agent close by try an appliance repair place. Take the old capacitor in and they should be able to replace it.

Hi NCArcher,
Is nothing to be sorry about, if you are certain that I'm wrong, I appreciate the correction. Thanks.
Amazingly a few times that a similar part was discussed with other people throughout the years, I remember they call it one of the 3 names mentioned by me. I always thought they were the same part for that reason, so if that is wrong, is of my interest to know about it, so that I don't make that mistake again. No big deal, all good, thanks.:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2008, 04:39 PM
Hi NCArcher,
Is nothing to be sorry about, if you are certain that I'm wrong, I appreciate the correction. Thanks.

A magneto is definitely completely different... it's basically an electromagnet in reverse, used to convert mechanical motion into a spark. It's what drives the spark plugs on many motorcycles instead of a distributor, coil & battery.

On the other hand, it was common practice to refer to cap's as condensers in days of auld. It's a name that has fallen out of practice though, probably because of confusion with heat xfer condensors. (Many machines use both, such as air-cons, etc...)

Twinnie
20th January 2008, 05:14 PM
thanks guys i'll give tecnatool a ring tomorrow and find out about getting it replaced under warranty. the lathe is less then a year old (i got mine 2 weeks before Toni got hers)

Matt

lubbing5cherubs
16th February 2008, 02:14 PM
Now my turn to ask a question. I am wondering at the moment mine is not all the time it only if I change it from forward to reverse it keeps going forward. So my question is if I leave in forward and not use the reverse will it continue to keep going for a long time. Will this help keeping it going ?
Toni