PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate some help on turning tool choice from hamlet

JDarvall
20th January 2008, 10:22 AM
I'm going hamlet, only because my tool buy chance is through carbatec, and thats all they seem to have and I've heard there good enough.

Just want a decent HSS roughing and spingle gouge. Been making do with carbon steel makeshift ones. And I think I should treat myself.

Just for between centres work...

Justing buying one Roughing gouge
There's 1/2", 3/4", 1-1/4"......Why so many sizes here ?....Wouldn't the 1-1/4" cover all situations ? ...which one would you buy ?

and just one spindle gouge
Just after a regular 1/2"......but what confuses me is the different types that Hamlet offer........there's...

- standard round (cheapest)
- german gouge for deeper spindle work.
- continental

Which of those ?....much of a muchness ?...Just buy the standard,,,.or is it worthwhile buying a German or continental ?

Appreciate any advice or ideas. I haven't had much experience turning. Just self taught stuff over the years using makeshift blades. Lots of small knobs and a few ballusters.

Thanks.

dai sensei
20th January 2008, 10:50 AM
Good choice Hamlet, I have 16 of them.

Before you buy from Carbatec, check out Gary Pye (http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/), he also sells Hamlet (usually at a better price & faster delivery). He also sells his own HSS sets.

rsser
20th January 2008, 11:18 AM
Std gouge is a good all rounder. Go continental for long sweeping curves on between centres turning but it takes more technique than the std.

As for roughing, 1" is a good size. Go smaller if you do a lot of short pieces (like pens) or larger if you want fast hogging out.

An alternative brand is a new Chinese one with walnut handles which has had a good wrap: try Mik (and Northwood has them too I think). Sean got one at the WWW show and can comment on the quality of the steel.

scooter
20th January 2008, 03:39 PM
Std gouge is a good all rounder. Go continental for long sweeping curves on between centres turning but it takes more technique than the std.

Funny isn't it? I've found the forged style, or continental as they call it, is more natural for me to use. Down to technique maybe.

Could get a largeish continental gouge that will double as your roughing gouge.

An alternative brand is a new Chinese one with walnut handles which has had a good wrap: try Mik (and Northwood has them too I think). Sean got one at the WWW show and can comment on the quality of the steel.
Would be a good choice I reckon. Could be off base here, but I seem to remember reading that it's HSS but not M2 that they're made of. In any case, would be good I reckon.

Moot point if you've settled on Hamlet tools, Jake. Never regret buying quality if you can afford it.

rsser
20th January 2008, 03:54 PM
Funny isn't it? I've found the forged style, or continental as they call it, is more natural for me to use. Down to technique maybe.

Could get a largeish continental gouge that will double as your roughing gouge.

Yep; the short bevel on forged gouges means more concentration but if you've mastered it .... ; the long bevel on a std spindle gouge means you can use it for the outside of bowls, cleaning up feet etc. You can save your more expensive steel on bowl gouges.

Sean's quite right about a big continental for roughing; you can even use a skew for this. The former does tend to flex more but rough is as rough does.

JDarvall
20th January 2008, 04:34 PM
Thankyou for the advice. Sorted me out. ta.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2008, 04:52 PM
Yep. Ern's advice is sound - as usual.

I also reckon Scooter's right that you shouldn't regret buying Hamlet tools.

As with any quality tool makers, so'n'so might make slightly better skews while such'n'such make slightly better gouges... but this can change at any time. eg., they may change steel suppliers. Really, the average person wouldn't pick any difference between them anyway.

But it gives us something to hold rambling arguments over. :U

rsser
20th January 2008, 05:44 PM
Cool, like a good argument.

So where will I start ... ;-}

Nah, got a few Hamlets and they're fine. Steel quality is more consistent than Sorby FWIW.

But if you want tools that sing, buy Henry Taylor.

Hard to justify their prices, esp. as a hobby turner, but by jeez they're good.

And confidence in your tool is half the game :D

Harry72
20th January 2008, 06:00 PM
Jake why only Carbatec?
Jim Carrol has a good range of brands.

rsser
20th January 2008, 06:24 PM
Yep Harry.

There's a bunch of local online suppliers.

So, there's:

* the supplier
* the tool characteristics
* the cost
* the value
* the technique
* the application

Maybe a sticky or a wiki could gather the wisdom of the forum, with an editor or mod to whip the contributions into shape.

But for hobby turners like most of us there really aren't any bad tools out there if sourced from a reputable supplier.

rsser
20th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Follow on:

Frankly, the best way you can spend your bucks is on lessons.

After that, in my experience, you can get good advice from

* Jim Carroll
* Len Smith at The Woodsmith
* Mike at woodworks.com.au
* Garry Pye
* Lumberbunker

I've had very useful phone or email conversations with all of these.

(all have websites; just do a google).

JDarvall
20th January 2008, 06:48 PM
Jake why only Carbatec?
Jim Carrol has a good range of brands.

just stupid family politics. The wife and I pack up the kids around this time of year to visit relatives in Brisbane one weekend. an ordeal. da big smoke. She gets to go Myers and David Jones, which makes it possible for me to spend some money as well, since she's allowed to spend money. So I hit carbatec.

All about timing you see. Hard to get her to agree to me buying anything substantial any other time of the year. :rolleyes:. sorry, you don't want to know.

rsser
20th January 2008, 07:13 PM
Fair 'nuff.

No mileage in savings?

nfld steve
20th January 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Guys,I bought a Hamlet 1/2" Irish Grind bowl gouge from my buddy the woodchucker,and I'm very happy with it!!!I like it as it's a long tool,I have a smaller bowl gouge,but I learned to sharpen the grind I like on that one,:doh:,and it's gotten alittle shorter,lol.But it was well worth the steel,now I can sharpen my gouges properly,and do things I couldn't before.
Oh yes,gone off topic alittle there,lol.
The steel in the Hamlet Bowl gouge is very hard,it needs to be sharpened less often,and when I sharpen it,it just takes a little bit of grinding and I've got a great edge,and I never notice any steel missing,lol.
That's my take on Hamlet,:2tsup:, I get what I pay for in tools.I also like Sorby,and Crown.I buy one chisel/gouge at a time now,I have a basic cheaper set,and about 6 good other gouges/chisels,so,every now and then I'll buy one good one,,they're addictive too,lol.
Best of luck,Steve

artme
20th January 2008, 09:17 PM
If you are coming to Brissy then you might as well drop in on Gary Pye. You might also consider P&N tolls sold by Lazarides in Brissy. They are less expensive and bloody good tools.
If you insist on Hamlet - and they are good tools - then have a look at a new tool they have developed for spindle turning. It is very similar to the Sorby "Spindle Master" ( look that up on the net ) and works like a charm. I have one. Gives superior finish off the tool and is easier to use than a gouge.
IMHO using a gouge for roughing and spindle work is courting trouble.:doh:
Get a roughing gouge for roughing, and again P&N represents by far your best value.:q
And if you want to do bowls, get a bowl gouge -10-12mm is sufficient.:):)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2008, 09:44 PM
Hmmm... if I had to replace my tools and had an unlimited budget, my shopping list would look something like this:

Skew chisels - P&N
Bowl gouges - Henry Taylor Superflutes (at least a 1/2") or mebbe P&N Supagouges (or whatever they're called.)
Spindle gouges - std. P&N drop forged.
Scrapers & parting tools - McJing :roll:

Sorby doesn't get a look in, except perhaps for the "fancy" tools such as thread chasers, etc. I really don't like their modern HSS, although if I see any old CS Sorby's going cheap at a garage sale... SOLD! :2tsup:

Now, Hamlet isn't mentioned above, but in practice if I had to settle for Hamlet instead of any of the above brands, I wouldn't complain. Be a bit disappointed in that I didn't get what I wanted maybe, but it wouldn't be a case of settling for "second best." (If I had to replace any with Sorby, then I'd whinge like the blazes. Do I sound prejudiced? :B)

The only reason I prefer P&N over Henry Taylor is... it's Aussie. Otherwise they'd be interchangable. (Except for the Superflute.)

All the above is based on my last shopping trip (12 months ago?) so prices may've changed since and I reserve the right to revise the list as I see fit once I see the current price tags. :q

Sawdust Maker
20th January 2008, 09:48 PM
I was going to suggest checking out Vermec - they have P&N tools unhandled. Making handles is good practice (for me anyway!), also save a bit of loot, which is a good thing, especially if SWMBO is at Myers (one needs the high moral ground)
I believe they are in one of the northern Brissy suburbs.
I've got P&N, some Sorby and some from Northwood. The Northwood are a lot cheaper, also I found a lot lighter in heft, thus I wonder about the substance, but I've only had for a few weeks and still trying them out.

RETIRED
21st January 2008, 08:45 AM
IMHO using a gouge for roughing and spindle work is courting trouble.:doh:????

Pat
21st January 2008, 09:20 AM
Vermac (http://vermec.tripod.com/index.html) are located at 39 Dalton Street Kippa-Ring to the north of Brisvagas

Tornatus
21st January 2008, 12:59 PM
P&N 32mm Deep Flute Roughing Gouge can't be beat - haven't found a timber yet that it can't handle, and its shape makes it very versatile, as you can cut with any part of the edge as circumstances require - and, like Skew, I prefer to support a local manufacturer, especially when they make excellent tools designed for Australian timbers. That said, I have a number of the more specialized Hamlet tools and am very happy with them - as others have commented, you can't go wrong with good quality steel, whoever the maker may be.

HappyHammer
21st January 2008, 01:42 PM
I was looking at the Hamlet chisels in the Carbatec cataldog last night as I'd like to buy a quality bowl gauge to help with confidence when hollowing.

I was looking at the ASP HSS steel rather than the HSS M2. They are more expensive (1/2" $179.00) but Hamlet claim they hold their edge 4 to 5 times as long. Does anyone have one of these Hemalet chisels?

They also come in 1/4" 3/8" and 1/4" any thoughts on which is the best all round size to get to start with.

HH.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st January 2008, 03:27 PM
3/8-1/2" would be the best all-rounders.

Martin xp
21st January 2008, 04:05 PM
i started up with henry taylor hss a few years ago, great steel nothing to complain, found the handles to much covered in varnish and sanded them off, now i have a better grip but that´s a personal preference. 1 ferrule on HT yust cracked without using them! and 3 of the 8 tools i have from HT came off the handle (polyurethane glue helps). but as i sayd no big deal to fix and quite satisfied with the tools.
i m quite happy now to buy second hand tools, hss or not and "doing them up" again. non hss needs more sharpening but who cares, do it more often and u get really fast:wink:

don´t forget Rolly Munroe hollowing tool, won´t miss it anymore!!!

cheers
martin

JDarvall
21st January 2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

JDarvall
21st January 2008, 06:12 PM
Are these the chinese ones Ern was talking about .
http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136738&product_id=1107220135

Can get a set I can afford. That way I don't have to borrow any of my bench chisels for parting off etc either.

Steel not too good though I spose ??

JDarvall
21st January 2008, 06:25 PM
how about these babys.

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107146794&product_id=1107445177

only $22 bucks !

Cliff Rogers
21st January 2008, 06:35 PM
You'll find similar sets at Carbatec, Gary Pye, Vermec & Timbcon.

I like my Henry Taylor Steel, I am not a fan of P&N.

I have 2 HT HS1 superflutes & 2 Crown copies of the same thing.
The HT steel is much better.
I used Ern's P&N version of the same tool & found I spent more time at the grinder than the lathe. :cool:

The best scraper I own (IMO) is an old sorby skew that I reground into a round nose scraper. :2tsup:

I can't comment on the hamlet tools 'cos I haven't used them.

DJ’s Timber
21st January 2008, 06:42 PM
Are these the chinese ones Ern was talking about .
http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136738&product_id=1107220135

Can get a set I can afford. That way I don't have to borrow any of my bench chisels for parting off etc either.

Steel not too good though I spose ??

I think these (http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/categories.asp?cID=64) are the ones Ern was talking about.

As for the Hamlet, I've only got one of their beading tools, but it holds a edge very well, so quality is there :2tsup:.

scooter
21st January 2008, 08:30 PM
Yep, DJ's nailed it.

Those individual tools from Gary Pye look pretty good value too.

I don't reckon I'd buy the set of 5 for $115.00, I got that set for cheap from a garage sale, they're serviceable but you'd do better buying the one's you want individually.

artme
21st January 2008, 09:49 PM
Henry makes great tools. I have 2 of his bowl gouges and am more than happy with them. HT is owned by Hamlet. I wonder if it is merely coincidence that both sets of tools are so good?:D:D:D

Good pick up . I actually meant that you really shouldn't have dual purpose tools, at least not unless you have lots of experience and can use them safely.:B:B:B

HappyHammer
22nd January 2008, 10:00 AM
I just checked out Gary Pye's site and he has the 1/2" ASP2060 Superflute Bowl Gouge at $160, $19 less than Carbatec. I guess from the replies that no-one has one of these and cannot comment on it's durability.:no:

HH.

RETIRED
22nd January 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm going hamlet, only because my tool buy chance is through carbatec, and thats all they seem to have and I've heard there good enough.

Just want a decent HSS roughing and spingle gouge. Been making do with carbon steel makeshift ones. And I think I should treat myself.

Just for between centres work...

Justing buying one Roughing gouge
There's 1/2", 3/4", 1-1/4"......Why so many sizes here ?....Wouldn't the 1-1/4" cover all situations ? ...which one would you buy ?

and just one spindle gouge
Just after a regular 1/2"......but what confuses me is the different types that Hamlet offer........there's...

- standard round (cheapest)
- german gouge for deeper spindle work.
- continental

Which of those ?....much of a muchness ?...Just buy the standard,,,.or is it worthwhile buying a German or continental ?

Appreciate any advice or ideas. I haven't had much experience turning. Just self taught stuff over the years using makeshift blades. Lots of small knobs and a few ballusters.

Thanks.The Masterflute is a bowl turning gouge.

rsser
22nd January 2008, 12:25 PM
I just checked out Gary Pye's site and he has the 1/2" ASP2060 Superflute Bowl Gouge at $160, $19 less than Carbatec. I guess from the replies that no-one has one of these and cannot comment on it's durability.HH.

Posters on o/s forums have spoken well about their edge holding.

It doesn't meet my value criterion though for the av. recreational turner. I doubt I'll wear out a HSS gouge before I'm really wrapped in timber.

canchippy
23rd January 2008, 12:47 PM
First I think Henry Taylor owns Hamlet, not the other way round:)
In Sept 2006 Woodturning mag Colin Simpson wrote a piece about Sheffield Tool makers. In it he said " sadly the modern M2 High Speed Steel (HSS) is bought in Sheffield but it is now imported"
So it looks like the only difference between any of the Sheffield makers would be the tempering, assuming the HSS is not already tempered. He also remarks about the low number of employees (11 at HT and 5 at Hamlet, 36 at Sorby and 24 at Crown. Apparently Sorby still make their own handles, everyone else buys in.
I have both HT and Hamlet gouges and skews and honestly can find no difference. I also have 1 Sorby roughing gouge and it is the pits!
Just recently looked at some Chinese Benjamin's Best figuring if all the HSS is coming from the same place, what the heck! These are really high quality and take and hold an edge equal to HT or Hamlet for about 1/3 the cost. As all the tools end up as grinding dust I think these are the ones I will be buying from here on in.