PDA

View Full Version : On-site logging

judyr
20th January 2008, 11:10 AM
I live in Gisborne Victoria, and have four blackwood logs (just cut), 4 to 8 foot long, 12 inches to 18 inches across which I would like to have milled on site. Does anyone know of a mobile miller I can contact? Or have any other advice?

DJ’s Timber
20th January 2008, 11:26 AM
To start off with, they ain't very big and depending on what you want them milled into, it might be cheaper for you to winch them onto a car trailer and take them to a mill yard.

If you just want straight bark to bark slabs, then a chainsaw slabber on site would be the probably be the easiest, expect to pay somewhere around $50 to $100 a hour and roughly a hour per log.

Alternatively, take them to someone with a bandsaw mill and get them cut into boards and pay somewhere between $100 to $150 a hour and probably 20min to 40 mins per log

Calm
20th January 2008, 07:17 PM
As DJ said but to get a better idea of the job.

How long have they been dead or were they cut down green?

If they were dead were they standing or laying down and for how long?

What do you want to do with the timber?

When do you want to use the timber?

Is there many cracks on the ends and how far along do they go?

Can you add a picture please?

This information will give a better idea for someone to give advice or options.

Good luck

amrai2
30th January 2008, 02:46 PM
May be try the Blackforest mill before it closes. Otherwise there is someone in the area that does on-site milling ( a friend in Bullnegarook recently had some messmate milled).

Regards

Calm
30th January 2008, 04:12 PM
Black Forest Sawmill has not cut timber for at least a year.

judyr
3rd February 2008, 07:43 PM
Hi Dave

Sorry about the delay in replying. The thinnest log has a bend so I imagine the usable portions of that one are about 4 foot each.

How long have they been dead or were they cut down green? Cut green

What do you want to do with the timber? Make a bench top

When do you want to use the timber? I understand the drying process is slow but we will be building in a year.

Is there many cracks on the ends and how far along do they go? None yet:)

Can you add a picture please? http://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/

Good luck

weisyboy
4th February 2008, 06:21 PM
if you have a chainsaw then it would be cheeper to buy an alaskan small log mill (http://www.granberg.com/alaskan_mill.html) ($320) than to pay to have them milled.

it is not hard and no experiance is needed.:2tsup:

judyr
5th February 2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Dave

Sorry about the delay in replying. The thinnest log has a bend so I imagine the usable portions of that one are about 4 foot each.I have ( I hope ) sent some pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm http://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=666583#post666583)

How long have they been dead or were they cut down green? Cut green

What do you want to do with the timber? Make a bench top

When do you want to use the timber? I understand the drying process is slow but we will be building in a year.

Is there many cracks on the ends and how far along do they go? None yet:)

Can you add a picture please? http://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/

Good luck
[/quote]

judyr
5th February 2008, 01:13 PM
We do have a good chainsaw. Do we truly need little expertise? :? Also, where do you get an alaskan small log mill from? That was a good link by the way.Thanks.

Judy

if you have a chainsaw then it would be cheeper to buy an alaskan small log mill (http://www.granberg.com/alaskan_mill.html) ($320) than to pay to have them milled.

it is not hard and no experiance is needed.:2tsup:

weisyboy
5th February 2008, 08:23 PM
contact your local chainsaw dealer they will be able to get one for you you will also need a good ripping chain.

skip tooth chain in any brand is good but in my opinion dont get the reground chain as it makes little diferance to speed however it will make a cleaner cut.

it is not hard and no experiance is needed

by this i meant that it is not like a swing saw or a band mill where yu will need to be shown how and the best way to cut the log as well as setup skills.
if you have experiance using a chainsaw for felling/limbing and or ripping posts then you have all the skills needed to use a chainsaw mill.

in QLD there is no rules relating to private chainsaw ownership or use. however i am not sure of rules in other states. you may need to check with you local chainsaw dealer to find out the rules and regulations regarding this.

Calm
5th February 2008, 08:34 PM
We do have a good chainsaw. Do we truly need little expertise? :? Also, where do you get an alaskan small log mill from? That was a good link by the way.Thanks.

Judy

Judy

Weisyboy is right but if you only have 4 logs and dont think you will cut a lot more in the future then it wouldnt cost the $320 to get them done. If you like i am in Ballarat and could come and do them for the $50 an hour DJ mentioned as long as someone is there to help me. Just for lifting etc.I have my own Alskin style mill

Just need to pick a cool weekend - not the job to do in 30 degrees. If you have them already cleaned of branchs then it shouldnt take too long.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Calm
12th February 2008, 09:59 PM
Just to keep up to date - i went on Saturday 9th and slabbed the Blackwood mentioned above for Judy & Colin.

Cut about 10 or so slabs 55 mm thick from 6 to 8 feet long which looked ok. I think they were very happy and now need to wait and see what they have in a couple of years. I think there will be some good boards, if they are good enough for a diningroom table or not i'm not sure but they are better than firewood for sure.

Judy spent a while with the digital camera so she may post some photos for all to see.

Anyway hope to see some more contributions from JudyR in future.

charlsie
14th February 2008, 06:09 AM
calm thanks for doing that :doh:when judy rang me a few weeks ago i put her on to this site. to see if someone else could do the job it would have taken me at least 2 hrs to get my mill up to gisbourne and cut the job. how long did it take you ,judy it would be great to see some pics too.
cheers charlsie

Sigidi
16th February 2008, 12:59 AM
I love the internet, good folkes just helping good folkes

journeyman Mick
16th February 2008, 03:56 PM
................in QLD there is no rules relating to private chainsaw ownership or use...........

Not quite, if you use a chainsaw on forestry or parks controlled land you will need an operator's ticket for crosscutting, there's also a more advanced ticket if you are felling trees. Any where else, no permits required.

Mick

weisyboy
16th February 2008, 04:49 PM
yer you need a ticket if you are imployed buy anyone and some people orginisations insist on you having a licence.

one of my fathers good mates dose the testing so i went and got mine with him.

im up to level 7 climber.

i did the tests i swear.