PDA

View Full Version : Madeup a long toolrest today.

JDarvall
20th January 2008, 04:45 PM
Show off what I made this arvo. pinched the idea from a book. Its a long toolrest to save on having to move the regular toolrest all the time.

Just 2 pairs of woodern blocks with V's in them, binding together with bolts into threaded inserts, around the bed (welded little rods on the bolt heads so they can be turned by hand)

Then riding on top of each of these blocks I've welded up from scrap a bracket with a slot to take a couple more bolts/threaded inserts to bind it down....uno, so you can move the rest towards away from the spindle.

Then at the top of this bracket there's another slot so I can bolt on the woodern tool rest.

Looks like a dogs breakfast as is usual of my jigs,,,,,but the important things are, I can quickly attach any sized tool rest (which is easy to make from scrap), at a length sooted to the length of the work I'm currently doing. And Its all rigid and easily adjusted.

thats it.

Andy Mac
20th January 2008, 05:19 PM
Good one Jake, looks very useful (for a dog's breakfast:p). Its strange you know, I didn't take you for a turner...unless it was pedal powered.:D

Cheers,

JDarvall
20th January 2008, 06:55 PM
Ta Andy..I make em ugly, but they never fall apart !:D ... just got a couple of turning jobs to do. just trying to deal with a few of those irrating turning things I had in the past....I'm gonna get myself some HSS turning chisels too I hope.

artme
20th January 2008, 09:19 PM
Good one Jake. Now get the tools to match!!:D:D:D:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th January 2008, 09:27 PM
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

If it works, and works well, then I'm all for it! :2tsup:

scooter
20th January 2008, 10:07 PM
The turning is a slippery slope, Jake...

thefixer
23rd January 2008, 08:11 PM
[quote=Skew ChiDAMN!!;666679]Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

And beauty is in the eye of the beerholder:D

I know someone who is gunna kill me for saying that:p