PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service

Stuart
10th December 2003, 11:47 PM
Just a quick note, as it is really justified, and they deserve acknowledgement.

Thanks & congratulations to The Tool Centre in Carrum Downs for your customer service.

I bought what was meant to be a highly accurate, engineering square the other day, which when I tested it, was disappointed that it was badly out.

Took it back (with receipt), and at the same time picked up a router bit that I wanted, a woodworking mag and another item, and went to get the refund and pay the difference (the refund was about $20, and the items I had chosen came to about $70.)

I was then told that because of the hassle, and that I had to come back to the shop that we were "even" and I didn't have to pay a thing! (Oh, and at no stage did they even suggest, imply etc that the inaccuracy in the square was my fault, nor did they even bother to test my claim- they took me at my word).

Guess I'll definitely be shopping there again.

Anyone else looking for some decent service, this is one place you'll find it :D

bigAl
11th December 2003, 02:45 AM
Hi Stuart,

It does the soul good to hear that there are companies out there serious about customer service.

I have had some really sub-standard experiences in QLD dealing with the "regulars" (do you have any idea how hard it is to find pumice in Southern Queensland?).

How does the tool centre feel about supplying interstate?

Cheers,

Al.

Dan
11th December 2003, 01:42 PM
$50.00 worth of free goods on your second visit (which you would have made anyway), sounds more like a charity than a business.

Stuart
11th December 2003, 02:48 PM
I was a bit stunned. Will definitely shop there again though!

Dean
11th December 2003, 09:30 PM
What's $50 given away (which is probably only a $30 loss to them on wholesale) when Stu is now likely to spend hundreds back there over the next 12 months! :)

A little loss here and there makes for big gains down the track.. Plus, that $30 "loss" just earnt them a huge wrap on this forum, and possibly many more potential customers. It pays to give good service :)

Dan
11th December 2003, 11:30 PM
Fair enough, although I'm wondering if this is real customer service or marketing. Is there a difference?

q9
12th December 2003, 12:01 AM
Dan,

Ask yourself this:

What is the purpose of customer service?

What is the purpose of marketing?

Do they not both desire to achieve the same objective?

Stuart
12th December 2003, 09:32 AM
Fair enough, although I'm wondering if this is real customer service or marketing. Is there a difference?

Absolutely. The shop in question had absolutely no idea at the time (and still doesn't) that I have any involvement with this board, or a woodworking club, or would even mention this to anyone. If they did, you could argue that it was a good marketing ploy.

However, as they did not, then it refects a genuine desire to provide good customer service, ensuring that I came away with an overall positive experience of the service, despite a setback caused by a faulty item. The fact that I was so impressed that I bothered to publicise the fact is a bonus to them.