PDA

View Full Version : Barrelback replica project

1928ace
20th January 2008, 11:40 PM
Hi
I am considering purchasing a set of 19' barrelback plans from Glen L Marine designs and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either these plans and or this type of boat building..... Any help appreciated :2tsup:

Jasbel
1st February 2008, 01:58 PM
Buyers Be Aware

Ive ordered and purchased Barrel back plans last week from classic wooden boats web site, I tried to e-mail John at least 8 times the owner of this business as to where are my plans to date no replys

Looks like another e-bay and paypal rip off site< I guess I can say good by to my money:(:(:(:(:(

1928ace
1st February 2008, 02:50 PM
Jasbel
Sorry to hear that, I have ordered a set from Glen L Designs last week and received the full size plans within 7 days.... You may want to try them for a design that suits....

Big Shed
1st February 2008, 05:14 PM
Buyers Be Aware

Ive ordered and purchased Barrel back plans last week from classic wooden boats web site, I tried to e-mail John at least 8 times the owner of this business as to where are my plans to date no replys

Looks like another e-bay and paypal rip off site< I guess I can say good by to my money:(:(:(:(:(

If you paid through PayPal then you have a comeback through them.

MaintenanceMan
8th February 2008, 10:29 AM
Hi
I am considering purchasing a set of 19' barrelback plans from Glen L Marine designs and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either these plans and or this type of boat building..... Any help appreciated :2tsup:

I've not had anything to do with that design, but have purchased plans from Glen L in the past. They are very detailed and often have full sized templates for many parts of the boat. They also have pretty active online Glen L builders forums, and lots of photos of finished projects. You will not be disappointed with their level of after sales service, support and advise.

Doh!! I see you already have the plans, I should have looked at the whole thread huh? http://www.invision.smileyville.net/smilies/doh (11).gif

MaintenanceMan
8th February 2008, 11:15 AM
What's going on here, I posted a msg in here 2 mins ago, now it's gone...
Where did it go and why?

This has happened at least three times in the last week.

Boatmik
8th February 2008, 01:20 PM
Howdy,

I had the problem when I first started here that I would write a post then go to save and it would say that my session had expired and I had to log in again.

If it is this problem you can prevent it by when signing in select the "remember me" button.

Now you can log in and if you lose the po

Sometimes the posts seem to disappear but reappear after a few minutes (usual) or hours (very rare) - do they reappear or gone forever?

Also try clicking the refresh button at the top of your internet browser - the circular arrow thing - you might be looking at the page you looked at before you posted and this will bring the new one up.

Hope this helps.

MIK

Boatmik
8th February 2008, 01:26 PM
Buyers Be Aware

Plans from Classic Wooden Boats

I have dealt with them before. While they are not the fastest in the world to respond they are not a rip-off site.

Maybe they are on holidays.

Their plans are exceptionally detailed in terms of drawings for the construction and each individual part and the building frame.

Some of the boats are outstanding - Duckflat put together a router cut kit for one of their boats - a big Riviera replica - which was easy to do from the supplied DXF files.

The only defect was that there was a little shortage of meat on some of the frames when the notch for the chine was cut - so we simply increased the radius of the inside corner a little to provide the needed meat.

But they assume that you know all the details of how boats go together - there is little information about method.

Keep trying - it is always frustrating when this happens.

Best wishes
Michael Storer

1928ace
8th February 2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the response...its always good to hear that the plans are well detailed as I am yet to really study them...Just gotta get myself organised and start the project.....thanks :C:o:2tsup:

MaintenanceMan
9th February 2008, 05:07 AM
Howdy,
Sometimes the posts seem to disappear but reappear after a few minutes (usual) or hours (very rare) - do they reappear or gone forever?
MIK

Thanks Mik, yes the post is back again now.
I just had a thought!:doh: (got a headache now).. maybe it's due to embedded links in posts, some sorta security check or summat?

MaintenanceMan
9th February 2008, 05:20 AM
1928ace

Good luck with the project mate, you picked a beauty that's for sure.

Are you gonna finish her bright with mahogany paneling? :2tsup:

1928ace
12th February 2008, 09:56 PM
Hi all
Yep, going to finish her nice and bright although reading up about the fairing process is starting to scare me a little...
Having considerable trouble finding a good timber in 20' lengths though...any suggestions?
Celery top pine has been suggested but not available in correct lengths.
Is there any suitable Australian timber that anyone can recommend for framing ?? :C:o

mcchaddy
13th February 2008, 09:39 AM
Hi 1928Ace,

I have the plans for the exact same boat that I plan on building one day. I will be using Hoop Pine for the frames etc. My plans came from Ken Hankinson in the State. I think Glen-l now have the rights to sell his plans as he is no longer in business. There is also a really good forum on the Glen-l website that deals with these plans or similar.

Cheers

Michael.

PAR
13th February 2008, 01:24 PM
You are correct Mcchaddy, Glen-L has purchased the rights to all of Ken Hankinson's plans and is now the sole seller of same.

1928ace
13th February 2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Michael and all
Thanks for the info. Hoop pine is another timber that I researched but couldn't really find anywhere in Vic that sold it. The biggest problem is the 20' lengths but I suppose thats all part of the project hunting down the correct materials.
The forum you mentioned is a great resource...good luck with your project also.......
Regards...Ted :2tsup:

Lewy the Fly
14th February 2008, 05:56 AM
Finlayson Timber in Brisbane have a hoop pine saw mill at Lynval, most of the stuff they produce is finger jointed, but if you were to place an order for the sizes and lengths that you wanted I'm sure they would oblige.
Just got to get to Vic then. Might be cheaper to move to the sunny state.

Regards

Lewy

1928ace
15th February 2008, 09:30 PM
Lewy....Thanks for the tip on hoop pine I will try them out. As for the other comment about moving to Queensland....I much prefer a dryer climate like we have down here in Melbourne....to much rain up there..
Thanks.....:U