PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Chip Carvers amongst us?

Tankstand
11th December 2003, 08:55 AM
Hi all,

Of late I have been longing to be creative and as I don't have an artistic bone in my body I thought Chip Carving might be right down/up my alley, as Geometric stuff I can do.

The question is (before I purchase any knives) will my dodgy wrists be able to handle this? Or is it just a matter of using a very soft wood with very sharp knives?

Thanks for your time.

Tankstand
13th December 2003, 07:06 AM
Hello?

I'm feeling pretty lonely about now.:D

Has anyone any feedback/experiences/Opinions they could share with me/us re Chip Carving? Did you either love or hate it? Consider it too boring etc?

Thanks for looking.

fxst
13th December 2003, 12:39 PM
not a lot of movement in this area huh
I cant help as I prefer to eat the chips not carve em but I guess it would look good on the plate or paper LOL
oops sorry
Pete:D

multinut
14th December 2003, 05:39 PM
hi mark
i have not done any chipcarving yet but i have done a few relief carvings and whittlings
i guess that soft timber would be the way to go (jelutong,kauri,basswood)
all carvings require hand and wrist movement of some degree
the pressure used is dependent on how deep and how hard the timber is to carve
if you have sharp tools not as much pressure is needed
a good set of knives to look for would be PFIEL
if you get just 1 knife and try it out (hooknosed) will do the job
if you have any carving chisels you can also use the skew chisel
hope this helps a little

cheers - multinut
:) ;) :)

jhunt_2000
29th December 2003, 08:39 AM
Tankstand, hi. I did a little chipcarving several years ago and as a total amateur used only a craft knife/boxcutter. I found the ability to simply snap off the blades to resharpen invaluable. The only time I regretted not having proper blades was in cutting concave curves, it's difficult with a straight blade. I'll post up a pic of my best work from the time for you to see as soon as I get my hands on it. And I loved the geometry of the designs too; has led to some exploration of celtic designs which I'm still doing.

Tankstand
29th December 2003, 09:06 AM
Thankyou jhunt_2000
I look forward to seeing you work.

jhunt_2000
30th January 2004, 09:07 PM
Been a little while but here it is. The joinery is rudimentary to say the least but...

Tankstand
30th January 2004, 09:42 PM
J, Thanks for remembering.

Excellent work! very effective way of decorating a plain box.

(Gotta pull my finger out and have a go):D

jhunt_2000
30th January 2004, 09:43 PM
next