PDA

View Full Version : Working picture anyone?

Carry Pine
21st January 2008, 03:35 PM
I have been attempting to use the Incra 1000 SE on a router table.

My first problem was that the handle when screwed in gouged out the track built into the table (standard track). I guess I need to grind some thread off the handle.

I was attempting to make a 90 degree pass using American oak to cut a tenon (hope you understand) but once the cutter hit the timber, the timber became unstable. I wasn't taking too much off but the timber is very dense.
All of the pictures I see of operators on the jig are doing it freehand, holding the timber as it goes past the bandsaw blade, tablesaw blade or sander. There must be a way to clamp the timber. Does anyone have a photo? My boards are only 10mm thick so my attempts at using a 'G' clamp were not very successful.

Carry Pine

Carry Pine
23rd January 2008, 08:01 AM
I guess no one uses an Incra mitre 1000 on a router table!!

Carry Pine

Honorary Bloke
23rd January 2008, 08:28 AM
FWIW, I have an Incra 3000 SE and have never even considered using it on the router table. Now you've given me a reason why. :(

Stringy
23rd January 2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Carry,

Thaught these things were built for router tables!

Anyway my 1000SE is on the saw/spindle moulder.

Don't grind the locking handle shorter, just put a thicker or another washer under it to lift it up.

Clamping timber to the fence-I have paper backed wet & dry, glued (super glue) along the lower edge of the fence, looks like about 400grade, this stops the board moving around whilst making a cut, the problem becomes even worse when cutting say a 45degree angle!

Cheers,

James

Carry Pine
23rd January 2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks James. Didn't even think of the washer!! That's lateral thinking for you.

The holding setup sounds good too. I can't believe there is no provision on the jig for holding the timber.
I'm sure that with pine there would have been no problem but that american oak is so dense.

Thanks again

Graham

Big Shed
27th January 2008, 09:16 AM
Bit late to the party, but have been looking for a picture of a router table mitre sled that I had seen recently, have now found it.

I own the Incra Mitre Gauge 1000SE as well, but it wouldn't be my first choice for what you are trying to do. I would like something with positive clamping, such as the router mitre sled on the cover of Shopnotes #87, which is floating around in pdf format on one of the torrent sites (Mininova).

PM me if you want more details.

Carry Pine
27th January 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks Big Shed . If I can't find a way to clamp timber with the Incra 100SE, it's going on Buy Sell and Swap and I'll make up a jig myself. This is very sad because I bought it (as a package) intending to use it on the router table.

I guess they are only used on saw tables where there is not so much pressure on the timber.. but you are still holding the timber with your hands.

Carry Pine

Big Shed
27th January 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks Big Shed . If I can't find a way to clamp timber with the Incra 100SE, it's going on Buy Sell and Swap and I'll make up a jig myself. This is very sad because I bought it (as a package) intending to use it on the router table.

I guess they are only used on saw tables where there is not so much pressure on the timber.. but you are still holding the timber with your hands.

Carry Pine

I have a piece of MDF on mine (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=59727) with sandpaper glued to it, that stops a lot of the movement.

I'm sure if I wanted to use it on the router table like you are attempting, I could think of a way to make up a sled that attaches to the Incra and has 1 or 2 of those lockdown clamp thingies on it.

Shouldn't be that hard.

Seems a shame to sell something before you have investigated all avenues.

fletty
29th January 2008, 09:08 PM
I use my Incra 2000 on the router table. I made a ply sliding backer which started out longer than the Incra and, when I have used the working end as a sacrificial backer, I simply cut off the chewed off bit and slide it along. "One day" I will make a sled but so far, hand holding the workpiece for small cuts and clamping large ones, works for me.
pic1 shows the whole set up
pic2 the sliding backer
pic3 the current "chewed end"
pic4 shows the clamped stop and..
pic5 the workpiece showing that it doesn't move for such a light cut,
Fletty

Carry Pine
30th January 2008, 10:00 PM
fletty,

I appreciate the pictures and the effort you went to. Thank you.

Graham

underused
31st January 2008, 07:36 PM
Infinity cutting tools in the US has some jigs made for the router table.
Heres a link to them: http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1382

I dont know if there is anyone stocking such jigs in Aus. I reckon it wouldnt be too hard to make.
Cheers.

Gwhat
31st January 2008, 08:30 PM
Hi all,

A Mitre Gauge on a Router Table has pretty limited applications, however a coping sled, is a great option. Particularly for tenoning etc. Generally Coping Sleds are fixed at 90 deg whereas a Mitre Gauge is infinitely variable, however the issue of holding the workpiece, down and laterally is an issue. We have one Coping Sled in our range that's quite popular see it HERE (http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category52_1.htm), It features a very strong hold down clamp and grip strips to stop the workpiece sliding.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

The Woodworker