PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Storage

PaulS
11th December 2003, 07:52 PM
Having aquired a few router bits i was thinking of making a storage box for them, drilling some wholes in a piece of board etc... however the carbatec wa website advises not to do this, it will damage the bits... (see http://www.carbatecwa.com.au/woodwork_tips.htm about half way down)

If i don't want to buy one, and still want to make one, what do i need to watch out for???

Paul

derekcohen
11th December 2003, 09:50 PM
The timber will absorb any moisture in the air and eventually transfer the moisture to the shanks of your router cutters. Adhesives used in the manufacture of man made board may exacerbate this problem.This corrosion will affect the fit of the cutter into your router collets and eventually result in poor cutter performance. quote from Carba-tec

Perhaps they have a point. However, I have several boxes of drill and router bits and none have corroded over a many years of use. Then again, although I live 200 metres from the Swan River, my workshop is in a very dry garage, which has lots of wood lying around (funny that!), which helps to absord moisture in the air. I have never had rusting equipment (such as plane and chisel blades).

My router bits live in a variety of wooden boxes and/or the original plastic containers, all of which are in an enclosed wooden cabinet.

At some stage I plan to reorganise my workshop (more fun than building furniture!) and better access to bits and bobs is one of the reasons. A purpose-built, dedicated router tool area. With a place for each router bit. That sounds good.

I do like the storage idea of one of our contributors to our Forum (my apologies - I cannot recall who suggested it), of drilling out a nylon kitchen board as a platform for the shanks. Or you could buy a ready-made one like this from Carba-tec (cheap - a couple of dollars).

How to guard against possible moisture and corrosion? Wipe them down with a little Camellia oil (or similar).

Regards from Perth

Derek

DanP
11th December 2003, 10:01 PM
Paul,

I saw somewhere someone had made them out of kitchen cutting boards. The plastic ones. Cheap as and will never soak up moisture etc.

Dan

sandman
11th December 2003, 11:29 PM
Hi Paul,
I use a small metal tool box to house my bits in & I have installed a very hard, high density piece of "foam rubber" in the bottom about 2" thick. Not only is it a very high density (42kg/m3) but, it is also very hard (#400) therefore I am able to actually drill 1/4" & 1/2" holes in it & push them in. They are very well protected and are dust & moisture free.
(must be done carefully, but it works extremely well).
N.B Foam has both a "density" rating (kg/m3) & a firmness rating (newtons).

you could pick a bit up at a Clark Rubber store or similar for only a couple of bucks for small size such as this.

good luck!
Regards Sandman.

Eastie
12th December 2003, 07:35 AM
I'm sure the likes of CMT would be straight on to this gem and be changing all their boxed sets to a plastic case - and the retailers will be removing the timber boxed sets from the shelves - I doubt it :rolleyes:

Good timber selection, finishing and a bit of care for the tools will leave you with no problems.

Little Festo
12th December 2003, 09:24 AM
One of my sets of CMT boxed bit developed rust/corrosion on the shanks during one of our wet seasons. The humidity up here is very high (Darwin). I did notice that CMT box has a rubber/plastic sleeve that the shank of the bit pushes into. Some of these seemed to "sweat" (similar to my Electronic flash units high tension cables) and it was the sweating that caused the problem. Bits in their plastic or wooden boxes were ok.

Peter

Eastie
12th December 2003, 11:31 AM
I agree - get rid of the plastic sleeve. It's the same principle that can ruin old vinyl records stored in the plastic pouch (I'm led to believe) as they can't breath and after a period of high humidity the moisture has a hard time escaping.

derekcohen
12th December 2003, 12:32 PM
Agreed - NEVER keep metal next to rubber (etc) where there is a risk of humidity. It WILL sweat and retain the moisture, eventually causing perfect conditions for rust. For example, undercoating on cars can/will cause rust when it decays and traps mud and water alongside the metal body.

What about those little bags that come with cameras, etc? That absorb moisture. Can they be purchased?

Regards from Perth

Derek

nic
12th December 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by derekcohen

What about those little bags that come with cameras, etc? That absorb moisture. Can they be purchased?

Derek [/B]

They are called dessicants, and they can be purchased quite easily. They are very cheap but only come in large contianers !!
Sud-Chemie in NSW are one of the main suppliers.

Cheers

Nic

Robert WA
12th December 2003, 08:17 PM
Australian Woodsmith # 30 Oct/Nov 2003 has a plan for a nice little router bit cabinet.
I would make it bigger, about twice the size I need today, to allow for compulsive purchases.
When I get the "must do" list down to something smaller than the complete works of Shakespeare, I may build one for myself. For the workshop I would have thought that MDF or plywood should do the job and the fancy dovetails could be abandoned.

PaulS
19th December 2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the wisdom you've given me a number of options

Paul

Sprog
19th December 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by derekcohen

Regards from Perth

Derek

Saw some of it in Coles last week, was in about a 250g pack.
See if I can remember to look next time I'm in there.