PDA

View Full Version : Remote admin software - Teamviewer

Ashwood
22nd January 2008, 03:52 PM
I just found out about a remote admin software which I though I'd share with you guys. Well, it's not new but I just learned about it.

Prior to this, I've known about PC-anywhere & Real VNC, which allows one to control & view a computer located far away, via the internet. However, questions arose as to security breaches / risk of being hacked; given that you normally need to close your firewalls and set fixed passwords.

I recently tried teamviewer3 (www.teamviewer.com (http://www.teamviewer.com)) which has a free download for personal use.

All you do is have both ends (eg. your PC in Melbourne & your brother's PC in London) download and install Teamviewer. When you install, DON'T tick "launch when Windows starts" and DON'T type in a fixed password.

When each side launches Teamviewer (via icon on desktop), an ID & password will be generated randomly at both ends. The PC to be admin'ed, [say your brother] tells (via phone or email) the administrator PC [yourself] what he sees, and you type in both his ID & password.

Lo and behold, no need for IP addresses/network IDs/dialups, a window showing his exact screen miraculously appears on your monitor, and you then operate his PC as if you are there. There is a bit of lag & the image isn't the best. But I find it great as it is super easy to use and is secure - works even behind firewalls, you manually control/launch the software when you want, and the ID/passwords are both dynamic and temporary.

I did some troubleshooting/housekeeping for my dad's PC far away overseas. Brilliant!

wayfarer
22nd January 2008, 04:08 PM
Hi Ashwood,

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

I've been using www.logmein.com for accessing work-home... like today home sick with a tummy bug I can still log in at work and do stuff as if I were sitting in front of my work PC. (apart from slacking off on these forums :) )
The tech guy for our work says it's a very secure system and he's happy with it but I wouldn't mind checking out your suggestion :)

Ashwood
22nd January 2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the logmein link. Will explore that as well.

I'm not sure teamviewer will do the job for you though. It's not a VPN or platform (like Citrix) for doing productive work remotely. You'll probably find the quality and speed rather crappy.

It's more for if you have to help sort out your dad's PC in another country far away and are worried about security.