PDA

View Full Version : Green Man

WillyInBris
22nd January 2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Been quite busy but just thought I would drop a message and share the following with you guys.

I cut this on my CNC a couple of weekends ago out of a piece of ? (maybe someone could tell me what wood it is) that I had laying around the shed.

Its my first real 3D piece on my CNC made a few mistakes needs more depth the slab was only 40mm thick will need to try approx 60-70mm thick piece that should give me more depth and a better 3D look at the end.
I used a 6mm roundnose Endmill for the rough cut and the same on the finish cut, I will try a 3mm Endmill on the finish cut next time should also give better depth and finer detail around the leaves.

It all comes down to trial and error but its all fun.
Sean

First two Photos are the rough cuts and the last is the finished piece with one coat of danish oil on it.

Sorry lost the pick of when it was doing the finish cut :(( forgot to save it on my stupid phone camera :((

rodm
22nd January 2008, 06:30 PM
Hi Sean,
Self portrait ?? Thought you would at least have had a shave before you did it. :D
For a first attempt at 3D it is great. What software did you use to create the Gcode?
Keep them coming.

WillyInBris
22nd January 2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Rod,

Well the wife has been trying to get me to shave since Xmas lol and to be honest you aren't the first who has said self portrait :D.

The software I used was Vector art 3D Machinist link (http://www.vectorart3d.com/machinist_free/) and got the image from them as well worked really well but I stuffed around with the Stepover and it took 2 hours for the finish cut and I could have had it done in half that time :doh:with the same result anyway its a bit of a learning curve but after you cut a couple of pieces you learn quite quick.

ss_11000
22nd January 2008, 07:19 PM
cool piece:2tsup:

how long did it take ( the carving - noit the planning )???

Greolt
22nd January 2008, 07:38 PM
G'day WilieInBris

With the natural colouring of the wood it reminds me of the Germanic Tribesman in Gladiator. :)

Haven't tried that "Vector Art 3D Machinist".

http://www.vectorart3d.com/machinist_free/

I see it is free but will only work with the 3D models they sell. Good idea though.

Is it the same program as the Vetric 3D one?

Greg

simso
22nd January 2008, 08:47 PM
Very very nice mate, have done no 3dimensional work yet, but that certainly inspires me to get started on some. Was the program that you used complicated or fairly easy to use

Steve

WillyInBris
22nd January 2008, 09:13 PM
Hey Sterlo

It took about 4 Hours but that was my bad, first of all you do a rough out this is what the pics are of then you do another cut the finish cut.

I should be able to do the rough out in about 30mins and finish cut in about 80mins probably even faster but I am still learning and ain't going to push my machine that hard just yet its quite capable of doing 6m a min but I am only running at 3m a min.

Greg, Its a cut down version as far as I am aware what you can also do is set up the toolpaths in the free program then you import the file into Vcarve the toolpaths will show up Vcarve add what else you want to do in Vcarve then your off :U they also have some free images to play with did the following in a min or two.

But yep I want 3d it would be fantastic for some of the things I am trying to do but have to wait for the OK from the Ministry of Finance.

Sean

WillyInBris
22nd January 2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry Greg yes it will only work with the models they supply you need 3D to do your own.

WillyInBris
22nd January 2008, 09:19 PM
Very very nice mate, have done no 3dimensional work yet, but that certainly inspires me to get started on some. Was the program that you used complicated or fairly easy to use

Steve

Steve, bloody easy well after you have used Vcarve its a walk in the park you just need to work how the stepovers etc work take your time try some play pieces as they have some free files to play with and try.

Sean

WillyInBris
22nd January 2008, 09:58 PM
Any Ideas on the type wood guys? cmon you guys should have a good idea :D

simso
22nd January 2008, 10:16 PM
Sean, Ive probably opened those pictures now about 10 times, they blow me away, just showed them to the wife and shes pretty impressed as well, Im going to do one next week. Cannot wait

Steve

WillyInBris
23rd January 2008, 05:04 PM
Sean, Ive probably opened those pictures now about 10 times, they blow me away, just showed them to the wife and shes pretty impressed as well, Im going to do one next week. Cannot wait

Steve

Steve fantastic keep us updated, if you decide to do a face just be careful of the thickness of the wood, I used 40mm to get the above and would look even better with say 70mm but you will understand as you do a couple :U.

Also see if you can use a 3mm roundnose for the finish cut that should give mush better detail then I got.

I will be doing another on the weekend time permitting :U I am going to make it a bit larger this time I think need to play a little more.

Send me a pm if you need any help and that gos for anyone else as well.

Sean

simso
23rd January 2008, 05:43 PM
Im assuming mate, that this is not using the freeware version, they only offer two models via the freeware.

Also whats the difference between this software and there cut3d software that they used to offer, or is this like there upgraded version now.

Steve

edit : just worked out there software is free and each template you want to use you pay for. "now thats pretty smart business idea". So cut3d is a buy it program, but 3d machinist is a free program and buy it templates. Is that correct.

WillyInBris
23rd January 2008, 06:06 PM
edit : just worked out there software is free and each template you want to use you pay for. "now thats pretty smart business idea". So cut3d is a buy it program, but 3d machinist is a free program and buy it templates. Is that correct.

Yep that is correct Steve you need to pay for the file/template but then you own it forever and can make as many pieces from that file as you like to sell give to friends etc works out to be about $28 depending on the exchange rate.

Its a cut down version of Vectrics 3D program cut3d(and I really would like to buy it but need to wait a little while longer), try the samples first see how you go its a fair amount of fun,

simso
24th January 2008, 12:16 AM
Okay Ive got one of there trial ones, and Ive gone through the program to carve it, but it doesnt have at the end a preiew path it has a picture of the original model with the toolpaths overlayed but no actual picture of the completed job using that specific tool, am I mising something here, or is there an option to be able to view the final product

Steve

WillyInBris
24th January 2008, 05:54 PM
Hi Steve,

Make sure you hit calculate on every page Roughing toolpath page and the finishing toolpath page I sometimes make the mistake of pressing the next button without calculating the toolpath and all settings will be lost this way and you will have to go back and redo them :((.

Ok you need to be on the simulate toolpaths page(6)
Uncheack the visable check boxes.

Press Reset Preview.
Then press Roughing Toolpath preview
Then press Finishing Toolpath preview

That should give you what the finished product should look like using the tools you have used and settings.

Tell me if your still having problems.

Sean

simso
24th January 2008, 05:57 PM
Okay did the flower thing today, using a 6mm ball end finishing cut, now that I can see whats happening in the finishing window, I should have used a 3mm ball end. Disapointed however that the program appears to not let you select your total material size only your actual cutting job size

Steve

WillyInBris
24th January 2008, 06:15 PM
Yes I understand what you mean on the material size, but at least you can pull them into Vcarve and do more work around them.

What was the Stepover you used? I wouldn't go any higher then 10% on the finish cut and 3mm will be far better for the finish as well better detail but will take more time.

Cmon Steve show us a pick with what you think you will try differently that way we can all learn :2tsup:.

simso
24th January 2008, 06:39 PM
Dont know why but I cant tell you what my settings are becuase it wont open that file again, Im assuming this is part of there sioftware protection even though its supplied as free.

Quick camera photo, very undetailed.

WillyInBris
24th January 2008, 06:54 PM
Hi Steve,

It should open the file again well it does on mine, did you save the file? maybe something went screwy when you saved it.