PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new scrollsaw

docjell
12th December 2003, 11:37 AM
Some thoughts and advice please!
I want to buy a scrollsaw specifically to cut decorative timber detailing on the verandas and ventilation panels in the old Queenslander we've just bought in Mackay. The maximum depth of cut will be 30mm.
I'm fairly brand-loyal to Makita, but Delta 16" scrollsaws seem all the rage. I'm aware of the price difference.
Is the Makita worth the extra? I suspect that speed and ease of blade changing will be critical, and the machine will have a lot of work to do. How sturdy is the Delta? What other options should I be looking at?
I'm prepared to pay whatever for the appropriate machine
Any comments gratefully received
Cheers
Chris

oges
12th December 2003, 06:57 PM
I have used a Delta a few times and it seems a good machine for the price range it is in, the quick set blade changer makes changing blades pretty easy. I dont know how well it handles wood 30mm thick, but the right blade and speed should do it ok.

I have not used the Makita, I didnt know they made a scrollsaw so cant comment on that.

If you have money to throw around then the Dewalt DW788 or Hegner scrollsaw would be the go! :D

DavidW
13th December 2003, 01:15 AM
I originally bought a generic Tiawanese saw but found it lacking for doing 32mm thick chess pieces and replaced it with the Delta 16". They are like chalk and cheese and I am very happy with the Delta.

The quick set blade change system is brilliant, the saws only bad point is no dust extraction which the Carba-tec had and it worked very well.

It handles the detail work including turns > 90deg in 32mm maranti using a #5 flying dutchman blade so with the right blade should handle your task OK.

Talk to Neil Schultz in SA about the appropriate blade for your task.

fxst
13th December 2003, 12:34 PM
Having tried a gmc( :( it broke ) then the makita (Var speed) and found it ok but wanting I gave it to swambo as she does thin works and lashed out and bought the hegner....18" throat and cuts thru 50mm with no probs ...I do a majority of 3d work and find it is the machine for me,,,,,lack of vibration is a bonus :D
Pete