PDA

View Full Version : Roo Stunners

neilb
23rd January 2008, 04:20 PM
I am after an effective way of keeping them blasted kangaroos away from the front of my car, especially down the Brisbane Valley Highway late at night / early morning.

I have had a few very very near misses and quite often it is foggy and you dont see them untill the last second when they are saying "hello" right in front of your radiator. :~

I went to SuperCheap and they have "Roo Shoo's". Do they really work ? Or has anyone got other ideas apart from someone sitting on the roofrack with a trusty banger.

Neil.

echnidna
23rd January 2008, 04:26 PM
know someone who put em on her car
then wrote the car off on a roo that hopped away

HappyHammer
23rd January 2008, 04:29 PM
What kinda car you got Neil? Can't you fit a big lump of steel like everyone else?:q

HH.

wheelinround
23rd January 2008, 06:49 PM
everyone I know thats fitted Roo Shoo's on their vehicle hasn't ever hit one

but then again no many went past the Blue Mnts either

Ivan in Oz
23rd January 2008, 07:09 PM
I had one on my 7700Kilometre Ride on the Guzzi

DID NOT hit any Roos;

BUT!!!

One jumped into me at the beginning of the trip, at a Stop Sign;
I was cautious from there on:oo:

Howdya do that
23rd January 2008, 08:36 PM
When I lived in CQ doing around 100,000km per year we trialled Shoo Roo, those little plastic whistle thingo's, plastic Bull Bars, Steel Bull Bars, No Bull Bars.

NOTHIN STOPS EM:cool:

DavidG
23rd January 2008, 08:45 PM
Apart from driving at 40kph and constantly sounding the horn, I haven't found anything else that works.

I have even had one crash into the passenger door as I drove by. :C

jow104
23rd January 2008, 08:55 PM
Have you not considered that roos can have poor eyesight just like humans, but they never get any eyetests!

So have a word with your new government, Nat. Health for the Roos. :)

wheelinround
24th January 2008, 06:21 PM
Have you not considered that roos can have poor eyesight just like humans, but they never get any eyetests!

So have a word with your new government, Nat. Health for the Roos. :)

They are already on the Lead Plan Jow

dazzler
24th January 2008, 08:09 PM
The Tidbinbilla people in the ACT had the shoo roos fitted back in the 90's. One told me that initially they worked but the roos got used to them after a short period of time and would just sit in front of the car and not be bothered. So I spose if the area you live in has very few shoo roos then you should be okay, at least for a while.

The tidbinbilla people I am referring to are the govt blokes that used to drive out each day to the observatory and there were godzillians of roos around.

Toyboy
26th January 2008, 09:02 AM
I fitted 2 different types of roo whistle thingies to my car and the stupid roos still jumped out at me. One of our government cars was fitted with the electronic gizmos, complete with a you-beaut roo bar, and I created $5,500.00 worth of damage travelling at 65 k's when a monster roo stopped in front of me and then two weeks later another bloke cost another $4,000.00 worth of roo damage in the same vehicle.
Before I fitted my stupid whistles, I hadn't had too many close calls, but since fitting them, the roos actually come out to see what the commotion is about. Now, I just use the car horn out here. Around Dirranbandi, Hebel, Thallon and the like, the roos are lined up all day and night waiting for idiots with whistles and other paraphenalia.
I reckon it's a conspiracy.

Honorary Bloke
26th January 2008, 09:16 AM
I am after an effective way of keeping them blasted kangaroos away from the front of my car, especially down the Brisbane Valley Highway late at night / early morning. .

From the comments posted thus far, I am inclined to suggest that you stop driving on the Brisbane Valley Highway as a solution. :rolleyes::D:D