PDA

View Full Version : DVD Cabinet

bigAl
13th December 2003, 01:31 AM
This thing didn't appear quite this large on an A4 piece of paper...

The DVD Cabinet is made from South American Mahogany with Crotch Mahogany veneer sides. Drawer Fronts are highly figured solid Rosewood, all from one board. The cabinet holds 540 DVD's.

The Case is French Polished (my first attempt and all learned from Neals Handbook, bless 'im), the drawer fronts are oiled but will be polished properly over Christmas. I'm a little nervous about colour matching a grain filler for the rosewood, so putting it off until I'm out of excuses.

I'd be delighted with any feedback.

This is my first project after a four year hiatus and I've still got my fingers in the same place they started. You've gotta be happy with that, just like riding a bicycle :D

Al.

bigAl
13th December 2003, 01:34 AM
pic 2

bigAl
13th December 2003, 01:36 AM
pic3

Tankstand
13th December 2003, 06:54 AM
Al Mate, that is one very pretty piece of furniture!

well done.

I like the look of the completely mitred top corners , were they awkward to join? What method did you use?

Ben from Vic.
13th December 2003, 10:58 AM
In a word?

Beautiful.

Is that brass inlay on the top?

Love the crotch veneer on the side!

Ben.

vcohen
13th December 2003, 12:49 PM
Great piece of work Al,

Just love the timber choice, the end panels look just great!

On another thread you said you had 'L' plates on. I think you can take 'em off. This is a piece of work anyone would be proud of.

Cheers

bigAl
13th December 2003, 03:56 PM
vcohen, Ben and Tankstand, many thanks.

The top does have a brass inlay around the veneer. The panels were cut by hand and one edge had a chip in the veneer. The brass was the easiest fix.

The mitre joints at the top were a bit of a problem. It's actually a mortice and tenon mitre on each corner. There might even be a name for that, don't know. I can tell you, I'm glad I started out with over long boards (so I could keep cutting off the stuff ups). If I do something like them again, I'll take a picture of them before the glue up (post it here AND have it framed and mounted).

Cheers all,

Al.

Dan
13th December 2003, 07:18 PM
I've seen that joint described as a "Showcase Joint" but it was made with loose tennons. I think I saw it in Pat Warners book "The Accurate Router". Looks nice!

vcohen
13th December 2003, 10:44 PM
Yeah Dan, You're right but I've also heard it called a 'Three-way Mitre'

Check it out in Yeung Chan's 'Classic Joints with Power Tools' and he also uses loose tenons. Incidentally this book is one of the best reads I've had in a long time and highly recommend it to all and sundry. His explanations and diagrams of all the joints are brilliant. I'd love the opportunity to do a woodwork course with him.

Cheers