PDA

View Full Version : Maximising Depth of mortice cut

Sumane Iyer
13th December 2003, 12:17 PM
I have a Ryobi HR 120 router 1/4" shank - mounted shaper mode on Triton Mark 3 table. The maximum depth of mortice I can achieve is 10mm. Depth can be increased only by not inserting full length of shank into chuck, this to me seems unsafe. any bright ideas out there?:confused:

ozwinner
13th December 2003, 07:35 PM
Get ya self a 1/2" router, then you will have no problem.
The price of a 1/2" router, is cheaper than coping a 1/4" router bit in the head at 20000 revs.
Cheers, Dr Nick :D

DarrylF
13th December 2003, 09:09 PM
Lanka,

You do know you shouldn't actually be inserting the full length of the shaft into the chuck? Only ever the machined (and un-painted) section of the shaft, and then leave maybe 2mm of the shaft out of the chuck.

Other than maybe a longer bit (don't go longer than probably 1" of cutting edge), I think you do need to look at a 1/2" router. Morticing with a 1/4" router is a slow & difficult process - or faster & dangerous :)

Sumane Iyer
13th December 2003, 11:30 PM
Thank u DarylF and ozwinner, I knew that full insetrion meant upto the unpainted section, even so I would not get much more in depth. Looks like I got to bite the bullet and get myself a 1/2" router.:mad:

Woodchuck
14th December 2003, 07:30 PM
Hi there,

Not sure if this helps or not but I've seen some extension collets around. Not sure if there a good or safe idea, never used one. Also I've only seen 1/2" ones, so not certain they are made in 1/4".
I think they increased spindle length by 50mm I read somewhere.

Cheers
Woodchuck

Sumane Iyer
15th December 2003, 09:13 AM
Thank you woodchuck, have xplored this path and from all counts it is not considered safe, but an option to choose if none others possible. As u can imagine the lateral pressure on a 1/4" at high speed is quite significant. Appreciate ur participation.
Sumane

Sturdee
15th December 2003, 10:12 AM
What kind of router table are you using with the MK3, are you using the old style where your router is fitted to a sliding base running in the channels of your workcentre or the new one where your router is fixed to the table top.

If using the old style you could upgrade to the later style or look at decreasing the space between your router collet and the table top. Ideas that comes to mind is removing your router base and affixing the router direct to the sliding plate and adjusting the sliding plate runners so as to reduce the gap between it the tabletop.

Let us know how you get on.

Peter.