PDA

View Full Version : Router Bits for CNC Use?

crocky
24th January 2008, 05:07 PM
Hi All,

Hopefully we will get a response to this request, what bits do you use to cut/carve Wood, Aluminium, Brass, Plastic etc?

Speeds and feed rates would be real handy too :)

I have started to compile a list and it can be found at: http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/Router_Bit_Usage.doc I will attempt to update it regularly and this link will be the only one and have the latest info available :)

crocky
24th January 2008, 05:16 PM
This is my list so far, I have done a nice one but it is 400k and not suitable for inclusion here :)

Testing so far has used the up & down finishing spirals for timber and the 90 degree v-carve tool and all are running at 15,000 RPM and I am getting good results so far :)

WillyInBris
24th January 2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Bob,

Yes I agree thats a good idea a suppliers list part numbers approx prices etc etc.

I should be getting a few bits from Carbitool ill keep you guys updated on how they go.

crocky
24th January 2008, 08:10 PM
Hi Bob,

Yes I agree thats a good idea a suppliers list part numbers approx prices etc etc.

I should be getting a few bits from Carbitool ill keep you guys updated on how they go.

All of the part no's (in the attached word document) are for carbitool bits, spent heaps but they are nice to use :) 6.35mm or 1/4 inch drive.

I am using a Milwaulkee die grinder now and it is a lot better than the Ozito was :) but it was the thing that got me into this CNC business in first place :)

Greolt
24th January 2008, 08:33 PM
I am using a Milwaulkee die grinder now and it is a lot better than the Ozito was :)

Had mine back at the shop this week. Variable speed control went berzerk.

Hunting up and down. On slower speed it would actually stop. Broke e few tools. :~

Trouble was it was an intermittent and when I took it in it was working perfect and they were having trouble believing me.

Anyway I think they called Millwalkee and they must have told them it was common and they'd provide a new controller.

So got it back tonight. Hope it's good now. Don't like the idea of going back to the days of standing watching it for hours.:no:

Greg

rodm
24th January 2008, 08:45 PM
Good idea Bob. I use cheap bits and all of mine are under $20. I buy from ebay and get 6mm solid carbide mill upcut ex Hong Kong for around $5.00 each shipped but I buy in quantity. 6mm V bits work out at $7.00. I probably blunten/break one bit a fortnight but I am buying in bulk to build up a reserve.

I also buy wood router bits from McJing but the quality is variable and comparable to the price.

As long as it is carbide I use the same bit for acrylic, wood, aluminum and brass. In harder materials I try to keep the die grinder speed down so that I can see chips rather than dust and I find I have a sharper cut, less noise and less airborne dust. I find noise a big issue as much for my comfort as it is in keeping the neighbours from complaining.

WillyInBris
24th January 2008, 08:51 PM
lol Bob I was thinking those numbers look familiar :D have you found the single flute to be quiter then other bits or just as noisy?

rodm
24th January 2008, 08:53 PM
Greg,
Don't like the sound of that. The Milwaulkee is very popular for CNC'ers.

Probably worth mentioning here that we all started with Routers of some form or another and most have changed these for die grinders. A barrel type die grinder has an addional bearing in the head but apart from that it is the same speeds and power of a router. With CNC the tool is constantly changing direction and plunging into the job which is something a hand router is not designed to do. The extra bearing in the head of the die grinder makes these ideal for CNC work.

crocky
24th January 2008, 09:04 PM
lol Bob I was thinking those numbers look familiar :D have you found the single flute to be quiter then other bits or just as noisy?

Have not done a cut with the single flute yet, no requirement YET :) I am trying to get something sorted that only requires v-carving and the up spiral 3 flute at present.

rodm
24th January 2008, 09:04 PM
Sean,
Single flute are designed for slower motor speeds. You find that their helix angle is much higher to clear the chips quicker. Ideal for acrylics but can also perform well in aluminum. Anything that is prone to remelt will usually do well with a single flute. I am not a fan of single flute only because I always seem to break them during cutting. :(

I am still learning about what to use and it would be good if an expert could explain about choices of bits and for what materials.

WillyInBris
24th January 2008, 09:36 PM
What about a well written email to carbitool about this forum and that if they have any documentation/information that could help us.

I am sure they have chip loads charts on the carbitool site and guys overseas are buying bits from them it would be a good way for then to get more sales.

Anyone up for wording an email like this? don't ask me I came up with the idea of who to ask lol.

Got to go to bed as I am babbling

we could also set up some Blogs etc on info this would make it accessible to all of us blogs like what you are looking at putting together Bob on bits, Auto Tool Zero, why we prefer Die Grinders, CNC myths explained Whats cad cam Gcode etc etc etc,

Whats ya thoughts, it would take some time and be live documents but most of the information we have we just need to put it all together ?

Sean

rodm
25th January 2008, 01:28 AM
Sean,
Great idea and I'm even happier that you volunteered. :D

crocky
25th January 2008, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I have put a word document up as part of the first post and it can be the start of something, the more info you supply, the better it will get :) and I will make sure that the document is updated regularly.

So far all of the Part No's are for Carbitool, but don't let that stop you, we can and will use any Part No you have :)

big_gumbo
25th January 2008, 07:25 PM
Hi All,

Hopefully we will get a response to this request, what bits do you use to cut/carve Wood, Aluminium, Brass, Plastic etc?

Speeds and feed rates would be real handy too :)

I have started to compile a list and it can be found at: http://www.ocm.com.au/cnc/Router_Bit_Usage.doc I will attempt to update it regularly and this link will be the only one and have the latest info available :)

Well for wood - use a compression cutter

Aluminium - depends how thick. I cut a sign for some guy today that had small fine writing. It was cut on a 3mm aluminum sheet and i used a 3mm cutter going very slow (40mm feed, 15000rpm)

Plastics - always use a downspiral

Feed rates and rpm are usually trial and error. Every router is different

rodm
25th January 2008, 07:50 PM
Hi big_gumbo,

I take it you are saying 40mm/sec which is 2400mm/min. That is very fast compared to what I run at. :)
Do you break 3mm bits at that speed?

big_gumbo
26th January 2008, 08:20 AM
no, it didn't break. That's actually a very slow speed because my router is one of those big industrial ones. If you get a good carbtec compression bit, you can can cut chipboard at 300mm/sec.
It's one of those Tekcel routers

rodm
26th January 2008, 02:02 PM
!8 metres a minute is very impressive. :2tsup: