PDA

View Full Version : Like some feedback-please

ravlord13
24th January 2008, 08:45 PM
G'Day Guys,
Been playing with a couple of new / old styles and would appreciate any feed back , good or bad on the design.
The larger is a basic American mantle design but I am not sure about the top. any Ideas appreciated
The second is a twist on an old Seth Thomas design, orriginally made from wallnut and with square corners.
Again feedback appreciated.
Catch ya
Andrew

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th January 2008, 10:48 PM
All in all, I like both clocks. I think the designs could be improved with some minor tweaking, though. Not that I build 'em myself... but I do like looking. :U

The larger is a basic American mantle design but I am not sure about the top. any Ideas appreciated

Perhaps flipping the lower moulding (of the top) upside down to reflect the plinth and making the "dome" a bit less prominent?

The second is a twist on an old Seth Thomas design, orriginally made from wallnut and with square corners.

I rather like the simplicity of this one, but the clock dial seems to me to be a bit... "lost in a sea of wood." I reckon you need something to break it up a bit... maybe a band of lighter wood through the middle, much like the other clock? (Pardon the quick'n'sloppy hack of your pic. :B) On second thoughts, maybe a vertical stripe would be better? :think:

munruben
25th January 2008, 08:10 AM
I don't know much about clocks but I like the first one best.

Hobbyhorse
25th January 2008, 06:19 PM
Andrew I am probably being "picky" here but I would like to see the top of the left hand clock reduced a little in size with a concave shape to the edges thus reducing the dimension of the top. The right hand clock looks a litle plain and I wonder about a shaped spindle on the sides rather than a straight turning.

Rhys:)

ravlord13
25th January 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks fellas,
Skew ,I think you and Rhys are probably right the top is probably too prominent and maybe if it was more concave it would help the look, any ideas on the best way to do the larger curve?

And the ideas for the second clock I agree with , I thought about brass spandrels around the dial but wasn't sure. Your idea with the contrast band I often use but with the older style clocks they seem to sell better if they are one timber.

I like Your Idea with the spindles Rhys and I think I will turn some small half spindles, maybe in contrast timber and see how they look, I will work on it over the next few days and post some pics when I have it done.

Any coments are appreciated and I am greatfull for ideas, I get a lot of enjoyment from making clocks and the few dollars I make help too. I would like to develope a unique style of my own so the more feedback I can get the better.
Thanks and any more feed back is welcome.

Catchya
Andrew

les88
25th January 2008, 09:46 PM
in my option the one on the left is too busy, I would choose the right one
les

Yonnee
26th January 2008, 09:02 AM
There's something not quite right with the clock on the left. Looks like it's wearing a top hat. Maybe Skew's suggestion of inverting the upper moulding, but also placing it at the top like a 'cornice'...

If you often have a contrast band, why not make it your "signature" for all your clocks. It wouldn't have to be as prominent as the clock on the left for all of them, something as simple as a 1/2" or 1/4" band around the middle of the base of the clock on the right, rather than through the middle of the clock like Skew's version. It could even be a strip on each side so as not to detract from the "one timber" look. You could still do them without as 'special orders' if your customers wanted.

Yonnee.

Walesey
26th January 2008, 11:48 PM
G'day Ravlord,
I am only a mug at these things, but am always willing to put in my 2 cents worth. I have done some minor adjustments to your Photos. Simply taken a little off the height of the "Top Hat" on the left clock and enlarged the bezel on the right clock to take out some of the extra wood. What do you think?

Walesey :)

ravlord13
1st March 2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Fellas,
Thinking about the band as a signature but as SWMBO pointed out "not a good look on a Grandfather"
All coments welcome and still after suggestions, The more input I can get the more it stimulates ideas.
Catch Ya
Andrew

RufflyRustic
2nd March 2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Andrew, Re the clock on the right.

I feel the base is too tall for the rest of the clock. If the base had some small moulding around it (edit - small ogee perhaps?), to break the line between the base the clock face, that would balance the base more. Also, was wondering if the base were a little larger in dimension, not thickenss, than the top and I do mean by a fraction.

I like the rounded edges on the sides of the clock face.

cheers
Wendy

dazzler
2nd March 2008, 10:00 AM
More contrast or a little highlighted colour would also be good.

I like them all the same :2tsup:

artme
2nd March 2008, 01:16 PM
I think the modifications done by Walesey and suggested by Wendy are about right.
My first thought on seeing the left hand clock was that it was dressed in a tophat. whle the other had a too small face.

ravlord13
10th March 2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks Everyone,
I must admit that I was not happy with the way that these two turned out that is why I asked for feedback.
It seems that sometimes what you picture in your head just wont turn out the same on the work bench.
The clocks are at present sitting on the shelf in the shed and when I get time I will re work them using some of your suggestions.
We will see what happens then and I will re-post them when I think they are getting somewhere.

Thanks again for the imput
Andrew

Brickie
10th March 2008, 07:21 PM
The banding takes the eye away from the dial, its all about the dial isnt it? :roll:

The clock on the left has too high a top, and as has been said looks like a top hat.

The base on the clock on the right is too big compared to the top of the clock, it look out of proportion.

I have a clock I have to rework as the case didnt work out just right, at least the movement can be saved. :cool:

ravlord13
10th March 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks Brickie,
As I said I am not 100% happy with them, I make mostly Bracket clocks and Parlor Clocks with quartz movements which sell pretty well.
These two were a move away from the comfort zone to try a different style. Work in progress I guess.
We my wife and I ( sounds very regal) are working on a 6'8" blackwood grand father at the moment.
the wife does all the sanding and finishing, I am not allowed, I haven't got the touch:U.
Will be a while before I get back to these two.
Catch Ya
Andrew

Brickie
10th March 2008, 09:21 PM
T
the wife does all the sanding and finishing, I am not allowed,

Good move..:roll::U